DIY Colorado Elk fall 2010 hunt

remauto1187

I am sorting through all the info now and it looks like a rifle hunt in Colorado fall 2010 is very doable. Anyone else considering? Trade ideas, info, etc. This will be my first Elk hunt.

More than willing to host a whitetail hunt in southern Illinois in Shawnee National Forest for someone that wants to host an elk hunt in Colorado. (Public Land) I have a 32ft. camper that I will taking down to Shawnee Nov. 2010. So just bring your shotgun, sleeping bag and ammo!!!
Shotgun season (there isnt a rifle season in Illinois). Deer slugs only.
Shotgun season is the Fri, Sat & Sun before Thanksgiving and Thur-Sun the week following Thanksgiving.
Non Resident Permit is $150 and if you come down early you can bowhunt if you get a State permit as well. No camping fees and you can literally hunt anywhere in the Forest. PM for info or questions.

I am not too worried about bull or cow. I just want the meat. A nice mount would be great but meat is my main priority.

Keep me updated on your Colorado elk hunt. I, too, would like to try my hand at an elk this next year. Any information you can share would really help. (plans, what your taking, ect..)

I'm a Kansas man. Plenty of big whitetails where I'm from so I'll pass on the Illinois hunt but post some stories when you shoot a nice one. Never get tired of seeing, reading about deer.

Deer season has been horrible so far this year with all the flooding and girlfriend is due on Christmas so i've been limited to outings. Here is a NOV 06 archery buck.

Attachments

• 12pointmountB.jpg
    12pointmountB.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 4,030
Very Nice

Nice buck. Was that shot on public ground?
I hunted Illinois a few years ago, but havn't had the time or $ to come back out.
Hope your posts draw some feedback as I am also considering an elk hunt in CO, but not until 2011.

I don't have nearly any applicable info for elk in CO, but that is a dandy buck from the Shawnee. I went to a wedding in Greenville in early in Nov and saw a couple of bucks of that class from the interstate! Southern IL sure does grow quite a few nice bucks. Once I get moved back to SW IN I definitely plan on spending a bit of time in the Shawnee.

That buck was taken in Central Illinois. Just 35 minutes southeast of Decatur, IL. on PUBLIC Federal land. There are deer all over it and plenty of room for more hunters. But of course Shawnee is alot bigger since it covers like 13 counties of Southern Illinois.

Elk hunting in CO is a great time. A great place to start is their DOW website. It took me a few times to read everything out but it's all there. I've hunted in the SW part of the state and had a blast. Lots of public land and plenty of elk and deer to go around. I would recommend looking into the mz season. Many GMUs require only 1 pt for a tag with a 50/50 chance without one. Archery is over the counter in most of the state. Don't be fooled into thinking that the only good places to hunt are the high point draw only areas. Like I said, do your homework, pick an area and go for it. I've gone out twice and will be there this Sept. Have I got one yet...no. Have I had oppertunities, YES! I come from Western New York and it costs me 1500 dollars per trip. That's tag,gas,food, and extras. I drive out with a few buddies and we share the costs. I've p*ssed in bear dens, been stalked by mountain lions and almost fried by lightening but I loved every minute of it. Good luck, JZ

I could help you out with a bowhunt for elk in Colorado.I don't gun hunt out there so no imfo there.I go to a otc unit and don't have alot of trouble finding elk.I'll probably be going out again this year ahead of a Wy. bowhunt for elk.Send me a pm if your interested in a bowhunt

I think non res firearm tag for illinos is like $300.00 from what I have read on there web How can I get one for $150.00?

Wow you are right. (Inflation) This is taken right off the Illinois DNR website....
The cost of a Non-Resident Either-Sex Firearm deer permit: $300
The cost of a Non-Resident Antlerless-Only Firearm deer permit: $15
The cost of a Non-Resident Combination Firearm deer permit (either-sex and antlerless-only): $315
The cost of a Non-Resident Combination Archery deer permit (either-sex and antlerless-only): $400

You can use a Shotgun, Muzzleloader or Handgun during a firearm hunt unless there are restrictions for the county or specific hunt area you are in.

I believe you can only get a antlerless only permit if you first buy a either-sex permit first. That is how it is for resident hunt permits.

I have hunted Colorado twice on DIY hunts and two additional times for camping/fishing trips. All were fantastic experiences. Both hunts were with rifle – first was on the southern section of unit 24 out side of Glenwood Springs and the second hunt was in unit 55 near Almont. First hunt was a lot of fun but we got chased out by bad weather after four days. I saw some cows and a lot of road hunters. The second hunt was also spoiled by weather – there was a major snowstorm two or three weeks before season that pushed the elk low so we didn’t see much of anything.

DOW site has a lot of good info – essentially everything you need. Links to maps, harvest data, draw odds, etc. You can also contact the folks at the DOW via phone or email and you will find they are very helpful.

Weather can be fickle in the mountains during mid October! On my first trip, we had sunny days with highs in the 60’s, lows in the low teens followed by blizzard conditions. It was similar on the second hunt but not as extreme. In my opinion, tire chains are a mandatory item and required in Colorado during winter months in certain conditions.

For rifle hunting, licenses for elk are OTC and run around $520 for bull only. Cow tags are draw only for around $250. Mule deer are draw only at around $300. Some units are easy to draw and some you may never draw. Archery tags are OTC for $520 and if memory serves, are good for bull or cow. Muzzleloader is drawing only, in-lines permitted - no scopes, sabots or pelletized powder.

For most units altitude can be an issue and something you need to prepare for. If you have not experienced the altitude before, you are in for a surprise! In both units I hunted, I camped at around 10,500 ft and went as high as 12,300. You can start to notice the air getting thin over 7,000 ft and the higher you go, the thinner it gets. Get in as good shape as you can, drink lots of water and (as much as it pains me to say it) limit the amount of beer or other alcohol. I heard once you should take a couple aspirin every day for a couple weeks before you go out as it thins the blood and helps prevent altitude sickness. I have done so every time and don’t know if it works or not but haven’t had any problems….. It also helps if you can go out three or four days before the hunt to get used to the altitude and let the body adjust.

Probably does not need repeated but I will anyway. Any time you are on a DIY/OYO adventure you should have basic first aid supplies and a survival kit with you all the time.

I would be happy to share my gear lists if interested.

Awsome advice deer_shooter. I'm planing an elk hunt for next fall in Colorado. Will be my first time hunting there. What gear would you advise? I'm sure both warm and cold weather hunting clothes. What about boots? I'll be doing a ton of hiking, I'm sure. And how about a pack? Any words of wisdom on what type I should bring?

For a 5 - 7 day hunt, I take two sets of under armor, Sitka gear traverse top, a windproof pullover, and a hunting parka from Cabelas - Gore tex with zip out fleece jacket. Pants I will take a pair of Cabela's MTO50, a pair of Sitka ascent pants and pair of their 90% pants. That covers just about every temp range. I take two pair of boots, primary pair are Meindel's elk hunters, pretty pricey but very comfortable and have good ankle support. I think they are 400 grams. The other pair are Cabela's brand 800 grams. I also take at least 5 pairs of socks all mid weight and a pair of heavyweight. I also include a pair of heavy gloves and a lighter pair.

I drive into where Ii want to set camp and hunt from there. I have a big canvas wall tent with heater (really rouging it!!), so the above amount of clothes is a luxury. I take two packs - a big frame pack for packing out a kill and a small day pack.

In the truck I throw in an ax, tow strap, tire chains, shovel and basic tools.

It is my preference to take a second rifle. I saw a thread somewhere on this topic and this seems to be a personal thing. For me it is good peace of mind.

Awsome! Thanks deer_shooter. I hadn't thought of a second gun. Your list is great! I'll be printing it off, starting to gather what I have, and using your "tip sheet" as a great point of referance.
Thanks for the advice!

Cool. I am going to try drawing early rifle for unit 24 this year.
Forgot to mention, Colorado requires blaze orange during rifle seasons, vest and hat in solid blaze - blaze camo will not work.

I had my first elk hunt in Colorado this year. DIY, OTC tag, public land. I highly recommend it. It was a great experience! Good luck to you!

I would be willing to trade an elk hunt in Wyoming for an whitetail hunt somewhere else!!!!!!!

In fact, I had 3 sets of whitetail tenderloin walk across my back yard this morning... just bring the butter & onions, and I'll hook you up :cool: - here is a pic from last weekend.

Attachments

• DSC_2421_edited.jpg
    DSC_2421_edited.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,561
I live in Colorado...lol

There's alot of units that get overcrowded from popularity. There are several units that offer over the counter rifle tags for Bulls in second and third season. Archery tags are over the counter and you can choose either sex or antlerless only and they are good over most of the state. Around July they put out the leftover license list and there's alot of good deer tags left over. Plus in the south east part of the state there are extra white tail only seasons.

The DOW websight has alot of good information, including drawing statistics and how many points it takes for units and stuff like that.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/

Look towards the southern part of the state..units 84 and 86 and 77...alot of public land that isn't quite as popular as up north and western slope areas.

Also...if you've got the extra time and cash...Archery antelope season runs along with archery elk. Antelope bucks only starts 2 weeks earlier in August, but either sex runs through September. Unit 135 is near my house and I have gotten really nice goats the last 2 years. The Comanchee Grasslands is 440,000 acres of public land. Archery Antelope tags are also over the counter.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back