PEAX Equipment

Ditching the Dip

Cold turkey. I didn't drink during while I was quitting. I chewed coffee grounds for a while to have something in my lip. I couldn't concentrate enough for work so go camping or something active.

I kept telling myself that if I didn't go through the hell now I would have to do it again. Who is stronger, me or the chew? It's only a mind game. It took too weeks. For 20 years I had dreams that I started again and I'd wake up mad as hell at myself.

I thought dip was cool in high school, I had a few. Then at the gas station one day I bumped into this old local guy who always wore a bandana around his face. The bandana blew up a little in the wind while I was picking up something I'd dropped on the ground and I could see up under there, he was missing half of his lower jaw. My dad told me it was removed because he had cancer from dipping. I don't know if it was true or not, but it cured me cold turkey right there!

i did like 2 years of cigarettes in college, switched to dip for about 5 years, prepared for my wedding by switching to zyn (always bought a can of copenhagen for hunting trips though) quit zyn last december.

zyn is a great route to go. though it did complicate things, it greatly increased my nicotine addiction, cause you can have one in for 100% of your waking and non waking hours.

that said, i started zyning so much that i just started to feel like absolute garbage whenever i had one in, just too much nicotine. made stopping really easy.

I dipped and did chew when I was in my 20s in the Marine Corps. By time I reached 30, I quit cold turkey and never went back to it. It's a bad habit and nothing good about it and plenty of bad about it. I am glad I quit before I developed throat issues. Several in my family that dipped or did chew got throat cancer. I count myself lucky.

Cold turkey, more gum than I can count, and then the herbal mint nicotine free chew/pouches. Those suck, but that might make it easier.
I chewed for 5ish years, sometimes more than a tin a day. Ended up with gum disease pretty quickly.
Been without a single dip since January 2011… I know if I caved to even try one, I’d be all-in all over again…. I still have nightmares about it

I have dipped for 57 years now. I quit cold turkey a few times for one year then started again. I quit this year for 6 months then decided I enjoyed the nasty habit and since my wife has pancreatic cancer why the hell wouldn't I live the rest of my short life like I want. I never go to a doctor so if I am dying from the snuff it will be a short run when I figure it out. I hope you do stay off it for good as having small kids makes a huge difference IMO. When mine were young there were commercials of doctors smoking so times have changed. Good luck.

I quit an 18 year long can of Copenhagen a day habit cold six years ago, for about 6 months I was pretty dang miserable. I chewed Juicy Fruit gum furiously like I hated the whole damn world for two or three months. Finally, the cravings eased up a little and I became less irritable. Quitting sucks but you’ll be glad once you’re done.

Luckily I’ve been able to stop whenever I wanted to. I tend to give myself breaks. This last go around was harder than the others. Told myself the only way I’ll chew now is when a friend offers it up. Been about two months now since I’ve bought a can.

Here in CO we have a state-run Quit Line, paid for by tobacco tax so all services are FREE for the asking. They provide counseling, gum, lozenges, patches, 24-7 counseling. Your Dr. will happily prescribe medicine to reduce nicotine cravings if you ask. Quitting nicotine is challenging for most people. Research says every additional tool you add from the list above doubles your chance of succeeding in kicking this habit. Which is beyond bad, it is often fatal.

I dipped for about 5 years in my early 20s, quit cold turkey. That was the 1st of my bad habits to go ;). 40 years later I still dream of taking a dip, then trying to figure out how to get rid of it for the rest of the dream. But I haven't relapsed (never say never).

I used Copenhagen for about 11 years, quit when my son was born almost 5 years ago. I used Hooch Snuff (https://hoochsnuff.com/), which is a fake tobacco product. It was the only one that was remotely close to cope (not the same but closer than the competition). Highly recommend this brand, its cheaper than Copenhagen too. The nicotine addiction is far easier to break than the habit of chewing - this stuff helps with the habit. I used Hooch for a little over a year and then always kept a few cans around for “bad” days.

I went through the same when I tried to quit smoking. Nothing worked.... until a long time girl friend gave me a Birthday card with an E-cig in it.

Life Changer !!!

Yeah, it was kind'a on & off for a little while, but I went from 2 packs /day to only 7, the 1st week...to NONE in extremely short order.

Worked for me. If you want to ask questions, PM me.

I buy a tin or two of Skoal once each year before I go to Canada for a week fishing. I enjoy it but, by the time the week is over, I'm ready to be done for another year. I couldn't make it to Canada 2 years ago because my son was born and didn't make it last year or this year due to Covid, so it'll have been a 3 year break. I guess I'm lucky that I've never really felt an urge to dip unless I'm up there fishing. I probably will end the tradition once my kids are old enough to go with and notice what I'm doing.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back