Disclosing SSN to buy hunting and fishing licenses.

Wyoming requires it be on file for many things including hunting and fishing licenses and can result in hunting and fishing licenses be suspended if you are delinquent in child support payments. I used to work for the Wyoming DFS Child Support Enforcement Unit doing QA work on their POSSE database and thought it amazing how much intraagency data was shared to enforce child support payments.

Two benefits of linking a bio-donor delinquency to releasing a state tax refund, processing a professional license renewal and allowing the purchase of recreational license: 1) Deadbeats get current on their obligations and 2) Aspiring Deadbeats make real efforts to stay current. Simple as that. Heck, Steve Jobs of Apple Computers fame paid a doctor to lie telling the Court that Steve was impotent so Steve could shirk his parental duties for his bio-daughter. I guess a few billion dollars were not enough for Steve to be a father much less generous.
The intent is admirable but is it effective using hunting and fishing licenses at the risk of those who are not dead beat parents. Basically is the risk to the many offset by the substantial reward catching dead beat parents.

What risk? If you're not a dead beat dad you have nothing to worry about.
Protecting your SSN is above all else. Every time you put your SSN out there, its increased risk PERIOD! My question is still is the risk to the many worth the "reward" of catching a deadbeat? IRS is much better suited to do this not a fish and game department. How difficult is it to search using their resources? So how many deadbeats have been caught in this process? Putting millions at risk for a few is not acceptable to me.

Protecting your SSN is above all else. Every time you put your SSN out there, its increased risk PERIOD! My question is still is the risk to the many worth the "reward" of catching a deadbeat? IRS is much better suited to do this not a fish and game department. How difficult is it to search using their resources? So how many deadbeats have been caught in this process? Putting millions at risk for a few is not acceptable to me.
That's what's great about this country ... you don't have to pay the tax; you don't have to show your ID; you don't have to risk your SSN. Just don't buy or apply for anything.
It's just too darn risky!

That's what's great about this country ... you don't have to pay the tax; you don't have to show your ID; you don't have to risk your SSN. Just don't buy or apply for anything.
It's just too darn risky!
I guess you just don't care about protecting your personal data. You haven't addressed my question at all. The risk of the many to catch how many? Until you have had to deal with identity theft you have no clue of the damage it can do and the effort and financial burden to repair.

I guess you just don't care about protecting your personal data.
You guessed incorrectly. It's a matter of prioritizing risk and safeguarding the critical info.
You haven't addressed my question at all.
Your question was interpreted as rhetorical, as likely no one on HT has that kind of "how many deadbeats have been caught in this process?" information. I certainly don't and further have no idea where to look.

Safeguarding SSN "above all else" is not even possible, as it is so easy to acquire that info. There are many other facts, figures, and information relative to your finances, demographics, characteristics, and other personal factors that are much more critical to safeguard. Not to sound disrespectful, but your expressed concern about SSN does seem to border on paranoia, and about something that is somewhat out of your control in the first place.

With respect to the thread topic, my SSN info for Montana FWP is highly unlikely to be disseminated to "bad actors". At least it has not been a problem for the sixty-five years I have been providing information and paying money to FWP for the privilege of hunting and fishing.

Speaking for Wyoming now, there is no risk incurred with your SSN. Once you have your sportsman ID, the only thing exposed to the internet is your last four.

I bet if someone steals my identity, they’ll be in a hell of a hurry to return it.

My wife and I have a couple credit cards that we really don’t use much. One has a fairly high limit in case of an emergency. They used to call once a month and ask if we wanted to raise it. This went on for years. Out of all places my card number got stolen at the best western in Sheridan Wy. CC compsny calls me the next day and asks if I’m trying to buy a $256,000 RV in Florida. Yeah, that’s me. I’ve never had a balance over $500 but I decided today is the day.

Do you have a driver's license, credit card, bank account, mortgage, health insurance, or perhaps a job?
Because every one of those and many many more use your SSN in some way.
Your priorities are out of whack.

Do you have a driver's license, credit card, bank account, mortgage, health insurance, or perhaps a job?
Because every one of those and many many more use your SSN in some way.
Your priorities are out of whack.
and years late to the party. This is the last place I am worried about my ss# being hacked these days,G&F depts. ,LEO's ,etc.
Then again I don't buy my ammo at wallyworld either.

Ok guys, you have short memories. Walmart and other department sporting goods stores sold hunting fishing licenses from paper pads stored completely unsecured under their counters. Yes, today is pretty solid but when this law was passed completely unprotected. All it takes is one opportunity period.

My priorities are to protect my family financial status, I am not concerned about G&F database NOW, it was when it was completely unprotected WITHOUT thought of risk to the many.

When laws are passed without thought of risk and consequences to the many VERSUS the reward is what I cannot support.

So tell me, how many dead beats were caught from this law? Simple question.

Ok guys, you have short memories. Walmart and other department sporting goods stores sold hunting fishing licenses from paper pads stored completely unsecured under their counters. Yes, today is pretty solid but when this law was passed completely unprotected. All it takes is one opportunity period.

My priorities are to protect my family financial status, I am not concerned about G&F database NOW, it was when it was completely unprotected WITHOUT thought of risk to the many.

When laws are passed without thought of risk and consequences to the many VERSUS the reward is what I cannot support.

So tell me, how many dead beats were caught from this law? Simple question.
pmp0l.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back