Disappointed with Lathrop and Sons

MHMT

I received a gift certificate for $150 for "any boot purchase" from Lathrop and Sons from submitting an article to Eastman's Bowhunting Journal (In my defense, I had never even heard of OYOA when I submitted the story) kinda disappointed with Eastman's too, with the way they refused to return my emails and calls, but thats another issue.

...anyway I called up Lathrop and Sons to order the boots, and tell them I would like the Danner Pronghorn's. They tell me "sorry those gift certificates are only good for our Hanwag boots" which start at $300. I tell them thanks but no thanks, I already have boots and don't feel like spending that right now.

He then tries to keep me on the line and asks me how much I'd be willing to spend. Well I was kinda thinking about spending nothing seeing how it was a "gear giveaway" Finally he tells me if I buy a footbed, I can get the Danners. So I agree, but then he informs me that shipping is going to around $25 plus the footbed is $50 plus the extra amount of the boots... gives me a total of $100. I reluctantly agreed.

I got the boots and they are nice, but there was no invoice with them... so I check my bank account and there is a $250 charge from Lathrop and Sons. Sons of b#$@%es! (haha get it?)

I eventually got ahold of them and they did refund the $150. so that was settled.

The main reasons I am disappointed with them is that the gift certificate says "any boot purchase" which was not true, and I was upset with the way they handled the situation of trying to feel me out to see how much money he could squeeze out of me. It wasn't just some sales clerk either it was a co-owner of the company.

I still have to give them thanks for giving away $150, but if they deal with an ordinary purchase in the way they dealt with my experience, I would not want to be involved with them.

Just thought I'd share my experience with them.

O and the moral of the story is... by Submitting a story to Eastman's you get to deal with a bunch of stupid BullS#$%

Last edited:
I was just getting ready to try some of those footbeds. Sounds like lots of fun for taking the time to submit a story and pictures.

That would be extremely frustrating.

I was just getting ready to try some of those footbeds. .

Don't do that to your feet. Gel footbeds on uneven terrain is just a bad idea. I can't believe they sell those things for mountain hunting. I'd put them in my slippers maybe but never my mountain boots...

I'd be leary of them, i have heard some recent things about that company thats not good, 1 of which is there broke!

I bought some of there synergy soles last week, I was disappointed when the wrong size was sent to me, but they made it right, and sent out a the right ones right away. It'll be about 5 more days before I really get to test time, but using them all weekend long I really liked them, there kind of a pain to get in because there gel, but they wont hold water, they wont slip, they cushion well, and they kind of almost wrap around your feet, hard to explain but they secure themselves well, my foot was locked into my boots.

I've dealt with Lathrop and Sons before and was very pleased with the service.

When it was all said and done I returned the boots because they didn't fit me as well as another brand, but they were very good to work with.

Sounds like a mess with the gift certificate and all though. They should have had a exclusion on the Danners on the certificate.

I thought this mess was over. Ha nope. Just got an bill from Danner saying I owe them $120???

Called Danner up and they said it should've been sent to Lathrop and Sons. Not sure if it was Danner's fault or Lathrop, but it just seems like a never ending mess.

I have a feeling you probably get better service when you're buying their $700 hunting boot system.

Thanks for the heads up. I need new mtn footwear and I was looking at trying some from them. Maybe not. I had a very bad experience with Cabelas boots and their Customer Service as well.

I also recieved the "wonderful" Lathrop and Sons Gift Certificate from a submission to Eastman's. Its besides the fact that Eastmans told me that my photo and story was going to be on the cover and that I'd really like my new pair of Binos, but I was cuaght off gaurd when I recieved my gift certificate and my pictures/story in the mag, but not on the cover.

So I went with 4 pairs of socks, which i must say are pretty sweet and those foot beds, which I also really like. So, I guess it turned out ok but like they say....you live and you learn!

I also recieved the "wonderful" Lathrop and Sons Gift Certificate from a submission to Eastman's. Its besides the fact that Eastmans told me that my photo and story was going to be on the cover and that I'd really like my new pair of Binos, but I was cuaght off gaurd when I recieved my gift certificate and my pictures/story in the mag, but not on the cover.

So I went with 4 pairs of socks, which i must say are pretty sweet and those foot beds, which I also really like. So, I guess it turned out ok but like they say....you live and you learn!

Huh? they didn't force you to buy boots? They said I had to get Hanwag boots and when I refused and bartered we eventually settled on the Danners and footbeds.

Maybe they're regretting giving away so many certificates.

I thought this mess was over. Ha nope. Just got an bill from Danner saying I owe them $120???

Called Danner up and they said it should've been sent to Lathrop and Sons. Not sure if it was Danner's fault or Lathrop, but it just seems like a never ending mess.

I have a feeling you probably get better service when you're buying their $700 hunting boot system.

That will teach you guys to shoot big critters. Guess I will have to stick with my game plan.:D

not to bad mouth Eastmans too much but damn those dudes are stiff...Paw Mike Eastman of course but watched last weeks episode where Guy's Gf shot her first Mule Deer ever(said she had tried for several years...I would think with them being the experts they are it would take only one day...I digress) it was like the two of them had just broke up before they did their filming....Just me?

I've worked in retail and in the restaurant business. Shitty service sucks, but just because it happens once doesn't mean the business is bad. Employees have bad days, and sometimes places get busy and stuff falls through the cracks.

I'm surprised by your treatment as the dealings I've had with them were nothing but top notch. Hope they aren't letting CS slip...

They did help me fix this problem though:
NeedtolearntouseMoleSkinforhotspots.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back