Disabled Hunters in Montana

JimQ

I have contacted Buckmasters American Deer Foundation concerning their disabled hunters program. There is currently not a chapter in Montana or anywhere in the west so I am going to take on the work to set one up. If you look at their website it looks like all whitetails however I am also going to try and be the bridge between them and the Mule Deer Foundation. My son has Cerbral Palsey and loves to hunt unfortunately he is progressing worse and cannot get out like he use to. I hate to see him unable to do something he loves and I have no doubts there are lots of hunters out there with the same issue. I will be looking for volunteers to aide in this endeavor for help running the chapter as well as possible hunting sponsors. I know that there is going to be a lot of work ahead of me in this but I will not leave him home sitting in his chair dreaming about the chase while I run the mountain ranges.

I have contacted Buckmasters American Deer Foundation concerning their disabled hunters program. There is currently not a chapter in Montana or anywhere in the west so I am going to take on the work to set one up. If you look at their website it looks like all whitetails however I am also going to try and be the bridge between them and the Mule Deer Foundation. My son has Cerbral Palsey and loves to hunt unfortunately he is progressing worse and cannot get out like he use to. I hate to see him unable to do something he loves and I have no doubts there are lots of hunters out there with the same issue. I will be looking for volunteers to aide in this endeavor for help running the chapter as well as possible hunting sponsors. I know that there is going to be a lot of work ahead of me in this but I will not leave him home sitting in his chair dreaming about the chase while I run the mountain ranges.
I would be interested in this program. My 9 year old is autistic and I fully understand these struggles. This would be a great thing in montana since montana is unique in its difficulty level when it comes to hunting.

I have been in contact with Larry Hart the National Director for Buckmasters Disabled Hunters program and am moving forward with this. There are a few people I would like to talk to in regards to advertising this program or at the very least picking their brain. Does anyone have Randy Newberg's email address?

Any updates available for this post ?
I’m a disabled hunter myself living in Great Falls Montana.
I have been in contact with Larry Hart the National Director for Buckmasters Disabled Hunters program and am moving forward with this. There are a few people I would like to talk to in regards to advertising this program or at the very least picking their brain. Does anyone have Randy Newberg's email address?
Any updates available on this?
I am a disabled hunter myself living in Great Falls Montana

The biggest issue was with lack of help. It’s not a 1 or 2 man job to get it all put together and just couldn’t find the people willing to donate time.

That’s a good thing you’re trying to do. If you ever got one together and folks could see what it was all about, you’d have more folks wanting to help out.

I’ve volunteered as a paramedic for the Buckmasters Life Hunt in Alabama since 2007. Seeing folks in wheelchairs and on breathing machines being able to get out and kill a deer or two is awesome. Talking to the families about the illnesses and the struggles is heartbreaking. I feel very fortunate to be able to help and look forward to it every year.

Good luck with your efforts.

The biggest issue was with lack of help. It’s not a 1 or 2 man job to get it all put together and just couldn’t find the people willing to donate time.
Maybe we can start a group on Facebook and try generate some more interest and create some more buzz ?

That’s a good thing you’re trying to do. If you ever got one together and folks could see what it was all about, you’d have more folks wanting to help out.

I’ve volunteered as a paramedic for the Buckmasters Life Hunt in Alabama since 2007. Seeing folks in wheelchairs and on breathing machines being able to get out and kill a deer or two is awesome. Talking to the families about the illnesses and the struggles is heartbreaking. I feel very fortunate to be able to help and look forward to it every year.

Good luck with your efforts.
I just wanna say thank you for your reply on this thread. I can personally attest to the frustrations that are felt by being a disabled hunter and loving all things involving the outdoors; and not having a avenue or outlet for those experiences is very tough.

I just wanna say thank you for your reply on this thread. I can personally attest to the frustrations that are felt by being a disabled hunter and loving all things involving the outdoors; and not having a avenue or outlet for those experiences is very tough.

It’s always amazing to see the adaptive equipment that is involved to overcome the struggles. I’ve seen several blind hunters take deer with the use of an aiming device that their hunting partner aims for them. I’ve seen hunters “pull” the trigger by blowing into tubes.

I was alot closer to the gentleman that use to head up the disabled hunters organization for Buckmasters than I am with Larry. However, if I can help you in any way, and there’s other organizations out there, just let me know. Obviously, I can’t promise you anything, but I can maybe get you in touch with some good folks.

It’s always amazing to see the adaptive equipment that is involved to overcome the struggles. I’ve seen several blind hunters take deer with the use of an aiming device that their hunting partner aims for them. I’ve seen hunters “pull” the trigger by blowing into tubes.

I was alot closer to the gentleman that use to head up the disabled hunters organization for Buckmasters than I am with Larry. However, if I can help you in any way, and there’s other organizations out there, just let me know. Obviously, I can’t promise you anything, but I can maybe get you in touch with some good folks.
That would be so amazing 👍

I am paralyzed from the neck down in a wheelchair and on a ventilator and the equipment over the last 25 years has come so far.

When I first got hurt there was a little raggedy and weak mounting system that would mount to the bars under my arm rest.

By using a joystick with my chin it would used windshield wiper motors to move the gun around so I could get on target. I would then suck on a straw that would activate a solenoid to pull the trigger. You would drill a hole in the back of the trigger guard and run a piece of fishing string between the solenoid and trigger.

Would cut the stock off of the back of your rifle as close as you could to the trigger guard so you could get close enough to see through the scope. Every shot would punch me in the chin from the recoil.

It would sometimes take almost an hour to get into shooting position and ready to go.

Nowadays a platform goes under my cushion, I slide a piece of pipe into it that comes up between my knees and it holds my shooting rig for my rifle. Throw my rifle in it and screw on an adapted to the back of my scope that shows me a screen of my cross hairs. Literally two minutes.

Attachments

• Randy 21 rifle antelope buck.jpg
    Randy 21 rifle antelope buck.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Randy 21 rifle antelope doe.jpg
    Randy 21 rifle antelope doe.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
I am paralyzed from the neck down in a wheelchair and on a ventilator and the equipment over the last 25 years has come so far.

When I first got hurt there was a little raggedy and weak mounting system that would mount to the bars under my arm rest.

By using a joystick with my chin it would used windshield wiper motors to move the gun around so I could get on target. I would then suck on a straw that would activate a solenoid to pull the trigger. You would drill a hole in the back of the trigger guard and run a piece of fishing string between the solenoid and trigger.

Would cut the stock off of the back of your rifle as close as you could to the trigger guard so you could get close enough to see through the scope. Every shot would punch me in the chin from the recoil.

It would sometimes take almost an hour to get into shooting position and ready to go.

Nowadays a platform goes under my cushion, I slide a piece of pipe into it that comes up between my knees and it holds my shooting rig for my rifle. Throw my rifle in it and screw on an adapted to the back of my scope that shows me a screen of my cross hairs. Literally two minutes.
This reply really warms my heart. Glad to see that you’ve overcame so much 👍❤️

Back