Dinner options during archery season

C17loadclear

Question for you guys,

Planning my 2 week archery elk hunt and it got me thinking about dinner after a long day of hunting and coming back into camp at dark. I figure I will be getting back to camp around 9 pm so quick and easy would be nice.

The problem is I have a old mans gut ( to go along with my old man back) so I typically try to eat at least 3 hours before bed.

I am open to any ideas and even thought about eating my “dinner” while out hunting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

What is old man's got? Why does it required you to eat 3 hours before bed?

Assuming it's some sort of indigestion, why not look into the causes of it. Food allergy and or food sensitivity panel along with some other checks on your general gut health maybe the best strategy right now while you have more than 6 months to try and fix it.

If you need to eat before you get back to camp at 9 pm, I typically take either a PB & bacon wrap or bacon/PB bagel and eat in the afternoon while I'm trying to kill a bull near sunset, then when I get back to camp I usally eat something that's cold and small then hit the sack.

When I discovered the PB/bacon tortilla wrap it opened a whole new world for me, dam delicious after a full day hiking!

my biggest meal is at midday. I snack the rest of the day. When I get back to camp at night I don’t like to cook, same with in the morning. I like to sleep until the last minute and not have enough time to make breakfast.

What is old man's got? Why does it required you to eat 3 hours before bed?

Assuming it's some sort of indigestion, why not look into the causes of it. Food allergy and or food sensitivity panel along with some other checks on your general gut health maybe the best strategy right now while you have more than 6 months to try and fix it.
This is a good idea in general. There is likely something you're eating that you're sensitive to. If you can figure it out your life will likely be better. Or, you can take a mountain house into the field and sit down for half hour and have a nice glassing meal. Pretty pleasant way to have a meal.

Car camp or backpacking? Car camping I’d be eating lots of sandwiches and tortilla wraps. But yeah I would probably also eat before hiking back to camp.

Two weeks is a long time to be on a calorie deficit while performing strenuous activity though. I would want a good, hot, calorie dense dinner at least every few days.

If you want 3 hours before bed you are going to have to eat before you go out for the evening hunt or before prime time at least. I usually figure the last hour of shooting light I'm scouting for where I want to be in the morning. If you eat dinner around 5-6 pm while the thermals start to switch, you can be in hunting mode for the last 3 hours of light.

That's one of the things I like about horseback hunting. I'd finish my "lunch" in the saddle riding back in the dark. My horse knew the way home.

I had a few threads here where people recommended their heat and eat entrees for a truck or horse packed camp.

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/precooked-hunting-camp-meals-what-works.300882/

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/make-ahead-and-freeze-meals.259685/

I'm the same. I've tried eating before the evening hunt but it's usually too damn hot at 3 p.m. to think about food. Haven't figured it out yet. Maybe that's why I lost 18 lb. In 21 days of hunting.

I was joking (kinda) about the gut comment. I have acid reflux that can be helped somewhat with diet and a pill. But I found if I crash with a full stomach that it’s gonna be a rough night.

I don't like going to bed on a full stomach so I would eat a good breakfast in the morning then snack during the day and go to bed on an empty stomach. Drink a beer before bed and fall asleep real quick.

Hell i sleep great with a belly full of hot food and a couple beers. My trick is choosing what i eat, i minimize acidic foods and plenty of fluids. I eat big dinners, next days fuel!

Actually I’ve found it beneficial to eat my main meal (dinner) at lunch time and eat something small (snack-lunch style) in the evening, as it doesn’t get dark until late that time of year. No prep needed when I finally get back to camp or something I can eat while I’m hiking in the dark. Works for me, anyhow.

In my group, we take prepared meals that each one of us makes that all you have to do is heat them up. I usually do brats n kraut, goulash or chili along with stuff to go with it. For breakfast, I make up a couple dozen breakfast burrittos in advance and lunch is military MREs I buy. If we come back late, like if we got one down and have to quarter it, then we eat something quick and get to bed. And we always have plenty of snacking stuff. My group base camps so breakfast and evening meals are pretty much there before you go out.

Something I also do is pazole. I make up a huge batch of it then freeze it. Great evening emal around the camp fire. I make mine on the thick side though with extra hominy and pork.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back