Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Diners, Gas Stations, Truck Stops, and Dives

Doesn't really fit the OP title, but coming back from elk hunting we always stop at the Lolo Peak Brewery. Scenery can be pretty good after spending a week in the woods with a couple other dudes. If we really want to celebrate we'll also swing through Bayern for a round.

I always try to hit the Machine Shed in either Des Moines or Davenport IA for breakfast during the cross country drive.
Chuckwagon in Laramie, Wy for breakfast
Sparkys in Hatch, NM. The green chile cheeseburger is amazing IMO
The Crowbar in Laramie as well as Altitude Chophouse. Both have good food. Crowbar pizza and burgers and good beer selection. Altitude steaks, chops, etc. and beers brewed on site.
Breweries.......Just discovered Bond Brewing in Laramie this year. Great stout.
Weldwerks in Greeley, Co along with Odell and Stodgy in the Ft. Collins area.
Winchester steakhouse in Buffalo, Wy.
Lisa's in Greybull, Wy.
Ma Famigila in Meeker, Co.
Sinclair gas station in Midwest, Wy

Archels in Beaver Utah. Best chicken fried steak ever. Haven’t been that way in a few years, so don’t know if it’s still there

Should anyone ever finds themselves driving down 61 through Mississippi the shady nook truck stop just north of clarksdale has pretty bomb burgers and fried bologna sandwiches.

I don't have any particular stops I hit on the way out west, as I'm normally trying to get there as quick as possible. When I hit Mt. its mom's for pistachio cake. Usually seem to hit Double Front chicken in the zoo. Sparky's Garage in Dillon. Blue Joint in Darby. And when possible always hit a DQ before the drive to the TH.

Trudy's Cafe in Idaho City- Burgers, Chicken Fried Steak, and some awesome Huckleberry cheesecake.
Savage Grill in Salmon, ID - Burgers, milkshakes and malts
Papa Brunee's pizza and Subs- Stanley, Idaho

Most of mine are gone:
Pecos Restaurant in Pecos, New Mexico after backpacking; wonderful green chile burritos and COLD beer.

Momma's Hofbrau in San Antonio; Tuesday was liver and onions night; my wife and I and 40 old guys. Sadly started serving some sort of "processed liver" and closed.

Great place for Pasta Primavera in Moab during my Abbey period. Closed.

Great Italian restaurant in Dillon MT, The Bannock House. Closed.

Blackdog Brewery in Bozeman before they sold out. Closed.

The Livingston Bar and Grill, with calf fries and curly fries, before Russell Chatham (and I love his paintings, and have one), and writings, bought it out.

But, for useful stuff, currently, The Roadhouse Diner in Great Falls, with locally grown, ground in house beef burgers.

And Big Mouth BBQ in Great Falls; for pretty good slow-smoked, pretty darn good.

And both burger places in Cascade, MT are decent. Good red beers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for you montana guys, is there still a whiteys in whitefish? My grandpa used to have a jacket from that place I can remember being in my grandparents closet when i was a kid.

Cullys in Potomac
Chicken Coop in Seeley Lake
Blue Joint in Darby
Trixies in Ovando
Oxford in Missoula (chicken fried steak)

The food isn't particularly spectacular at any of these spots, but good bar food nonetheless and great spots for a beer and some grub after a hunt.
Does the Oxford still make brains and eggs? mtmuley

Back