Caribou Gear Tarp

Diners, Gas Stations, Truck Stops, and Dives

Northern Montana- I think it was "The Highway Saloon"
You ever had "Wop Chops"?
Pork chops deep-fried made into a sandwich and a cold one! 💥

Western Kansas Wildlife Travel Center, Oakley, KS. It’s the TA Travel Center off of I-70 Oakley exit. We stop there every time we are going to South CO. A stop there always means great things are in our future!

Western Kansas Wildlife Travel Center, Oakley, KS. It’s the TA Travel Center off of I-70 Oakley exit. We stop there every time we are going to South CO. A stop there always means great things are in our future!
I was there last fall. The Buffalo Bill museum in that town is neat too.

I am going to recommend Stampede Saloon and Eatery in Chugwater, Wyoming. It's a grill and family type dining place and the best chicken fried steak I had in a long time followed with an ice cold beer. Located at 417 First Street. I eat there everytime I go hunting in that area.

I am going to recommend Stampede Saloon and Eatery in Chugwater, Wyoming. It's a grill and family type dining place and the best chicken fried steak I had in a long time followed with an ice cold beer. Located at 417 First Street. I eat there everytime I go hunting in that area.

I hunted in Chugwater a few years ago and the motel let us camp in their side yard. The food in the diner part was pretty good. The burgers and red chili were pretty good and the beers were cold. They cherished their green chili but mine is better.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed if it has I apologize if not I thought it would be fun to highlight some of everyone's favorite check points they hit on their adventures to their hunting destinations.

Guy Fieri has a little show out there that highlights some of America's hidden gems in the restaurant world some of which people would never know they existed without him, besides the locals.

So for those who travel great distances for their adventure or if you hit some small local mom and pop gas station to get some homemade burritos for you head out to the field maybe share some hidden gems. I think these businesses are a prime example of what America is. Unfortunately they seem to be disappearing more and more. As a guy that travels a ton for work I definitely have a short list of places where I stop in my work or hunting travels. Maybe some one reading this that has passed those little hidden gems will think about swinging in and support a little local shop or restaurant.

Could be a Cafe, truck stop, drive in, whatever.....

Share the place and why you stop.

I always hit these couple places-

The Fort in Big Timber (where else can you get a full tank of gas, lunch, a bottle of whiskey and buy a gun)

The Y Stop in Sheridan Wyoming for fuel and food

Little Montana Chuck Wagon in Grass Range MT

Kings Hat in Billings for food, Dash In in Lewistown.

Corner Bar in Baker

Eugene's Pizza in Glasgow

Just thinking before the season gets rolling would be fun to share some spots that guys and gals could hit during their travels out to the great unknowns, anyone else have a favorite spot or two they'd like to share?

Almost September.....
The Fort has also been one of those places where you could find ammo during the "shortage"

I hunted in Chugwater a few years ago and the motel let us camp in their side yard. The food in the diner part was pretty good. The burgers and red chili were pretty good and the beers were cold. They cherished their green chili but mine is better.
Mine is even better LOL!!! But the chicken fried steak is to die for. You don't get the prebreaded, frozen, prepared in advance steaks. They are as fresh as you can get.

Mine is even better LOL!!! But the chicken fried steak is to die for. You don't get the prebreaded, frozen, prepared in advance steaks. They are as fresh as you can get.
I’ll sample them both for you. Green chili is awesome.

Penny's Diner in Glendive, MT has become a must stop for me. Nothing to write home about, in-fact the diner is part of a large chain type hotel. It's just a nice pit stop and place to crash after a long drive west on I-94. Nice to wake up in the morning knowing I can grab a decent breakfast before driving the final leg to the mountains.
Another I liked was the Cowboy Cafe in Dubois, WY. Basic food menu but anything seems like "the best" after being secluded in grizzly country for a few days. Seemed to cater to a wide range of folks. Lots of Subaru types as well as Cummins types lol.

KT's Hayloft for chicken fried steak- Lolo, MT

Britton's Cafe for everything breakfast- Ely, MN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back