PEAX Equipment

Despite the odds, how many Sheep Tags have you Drawn or Won in your Life?

Drew an Arizona Desert Sheep tag in 1986 (resident), Colorado Rocky Mtn tag in 1995 (non resident), Arizona Rocky Mtn tag in 2013 (resident).. Bought and paid for an Alaska Dall's in 1988 and two British Columbia Stone's in 1990 and 1991. Four sheep on the wall, no Stone's over two years and 28 days, never saw a legal ram. GJ

Last edited:
Drew an Arizona Desert Sheep tag in 1986 (resident), Colorado Rocky Mtn tag in 1995 (non resident), Arizona Rocky Mtn tag in 2013 (resident).. Bought and paid for an Alaska Dall's in 1988 and two British Columbia Stone's in 1990 and 1991. Four sheep on the wall, no Stone's over two years and 28 days, never saw a legal ram. GJ
Oh that's a bitter pill to swallow with two empty Stone's hunts! I blanked on my first Stone's and I thought I was done. Fortunately for me I reached deep financially one more time and found success. I can't imagine what I would have felt if I hadn't connected on that one. Way to give it your all grandejuan! Maybe a lotto tag will come your way.🤞🤞🤞

2 tags for me, both drawn.

1997 NV Desert Bighorn (probably 4 points, I was a teenager at the time) - Killed a 13 year old ram
2019 NM Rocky Mountain Bighorn Ram - killed a 182 5/8" ram (pics and story in this forum here)

I would absolutely LOVE to add a Dall and Stone to the collection!

Nevada Desert Bighorn in 2005-7 points.
Arizona Desert Bighorn in 2021-2 points.
Just some information. In 2005 they split a unit and I don't think people payed attention. In 2021 I looked for a unit that had people draw after the max point draw and somehow drew permit #1. I asked the department personnel how it was possible and they said someone didn't update their credit card when they were told to. Said that it was pretty much impossible for that to happen without someone screwing up. All I can say is Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG959468.jpg
    IMG959468.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9467.jpg
    IMG_9467.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG959486.jpg
    IMG959486.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG959488.jpg
    IMG959488.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 27
Drew my MT sheep tag in 2020 in HD124 with 18 points. .54% draw with 1 point so slightly higher than that in actuality with those 18 points. Hoping some friends draw soon because I want to go back.

Oh that's a bitter pill to swallow with two empty Stone's hunts! I blanked on my first Stone's and I thought I was done. Fortunately for me I reached deep financially one more time and found success. I can't imagine what I would have felt if I hadn't connected on that one. Way to give it your all grandejuan! Maybe a lotto tag will come your way.🤞🤞🤞
It took me about 10 years to get over it. Every time I saw a photo of a successful hunt (Stone's) it felt like someone stepping on my grave. Now, I just enjoy vicariously. GJ

<1 club, some other raffle, state draw system

What sheep tags have you drawn or won in your life?

When was this and what did you draw?
(ie: Utah bighorn in 2001, Desert sheep in New Mexico, in 2020, etc.)

Hoping to hear from folks who got lucky so others can feel encouraged
Zero, never applied, because of hopelessness at the odds. Very much regret that take though, if I would have been applying all of my adult life, I'd bet I'd have draw at least one by now, as I would be well over 20 points.

Oh wait, not true! Well, in a way, I buy a Texas Bighorn raffle entry, just to donate to TPWD.

MT Bighorn - 30 years
NV Desert Bighorn - 22 years
NV Cali Bighorn - 22 years
AZ Desert Bighorn - 21 years
UT Desert Bighorn - 13 years
UT Bighorn - 13 years
CO Desert Bighorn - 4 years
NM Desert Bighorn - 4 years
OR Bighorn - 8 years
WY Bighorn - 7 years
ID Bighorn - 2 years

Not sure what that totals up to. Add in a thousand dollars each year for raffles and Super Tags and I seem to be following my expected path that I'll likely go to my grave without drawing a sheep tag.
This is the year! =1 club, I drew a Wyoming area 19 tag in '19. 23/24 Points, @35 years of applying. I bought super tag raffles for my son and I, so 🤞🏻. 😁

Last edited:
MT Bighorn - 30 years
NV Desert Bighorn - 22 years
NV Cali Bighorn - 22 years
AZ Desert Bighorn - 21 years
UT Desert Bighorn - 13 years
UT Bighorn - 13 years
CO Desert Bighorn - 4 years
NM Desert Bighorn - 4 years
OR Bighorn - 8 years
WY Bighorn - 7 years
ID Bighorn - 2 years

Not sure what that totals up to. Add in a thousand dollars each year for raffles and Super Tags and I seem to be following my expected path that I'll likely go to my grave without drawing a sheep tag.
I'd like to shed some tears over my adverse sheep drawing luck. Now that goHUNT updated the Montana 2021 draw odds, I've opted against that idea.

If I recall correctly from my Stats & Probability classes 35 years ago the pics below means the probability of me drawing both in the same year is 15% x 13% = 1.95%. No complaints from me, though my sheep odds with max resident points are still lower than 1.95% in the sheep unit I apply for.

My Mountain Goat odds for 2021:
Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 10.14.17 AM.png

My Moose odds for 2021:
Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 10.18.58 AM.png

I'd like to shed some tears over my adverse sheep drawing luck. Now that goHUNT updated the Montana 2021 draw odds, I've opted against that idea.

If I recall correctly from my Stats & Probability classes 35 years ago the pics below means the probability of me drawing both in the same year is 15% x 13% = 1.95%. No complaints from me, though my sheep odds with max resident points are still lower than 1.95% in the sheep unit I apply for.

My Mountain Goat odds for 2021:
View attachment 211869

My Moose odds for 2021:
View attachment 211870
As a non-resident, I am guessing that I could probably add a decimal point two digits to the left to more accurately show my odds, and maybe even that is wishful thinking.

Started applying all across the west about 10 years ago.

Drawn a couple barbary tags and an archery ibex tag.

I don't want to brag but I've drawn a Montana sheep tag 4 years in a row now and I'll make it 5 years in a row soon. The problem is that the chance of finding a ram I want to shoot in an unlimited unit is about as low as the draw odds for a limited entry unit!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back