Yeti GOBOX Collection

Designing/building durable & packable wall tent(?)

Sytes

Hey all - I am on to my next fabrication venture... Many of the items I would like to have for hunting are typically darn expensive. Minimal $800 for superlight tent alone (5 lbs) though I have heard from a couple they can get damaged fairly easy. I want more durable material and weight will obviously increase dramatically. Horse packing and backpacking is susceptible to a higher level of abuse when in hunting conditions. A matter of scaling weight with durability and cost.

I am looking to design a backpack-able durable wall tent. I have a great contact that will fabricate the wall tent based on specifications.

My goals are:

Durable material that can tolerate abuse.
Wind / weather tolerant and breathable.
Stove compatible.
Under 15 lbs. (goal)
Fit for 3 people. Trying for a 6' width rear (6' rear height) x 9' front width (9' front height) x 9' length (3' side walls).

Additional option addons (not part of the tent weight goal):

Adaptable for side wall vestuble for storage accessible via side wall zippered access points.
Adaptable to attach to a second of the same type tent to double capacity. Front attachment w/ rear wall as a second door to use as exit points when attached to other tent.

I have the design drafted... Now the hard part - finding the material to fit my weight goal.

I've thought of something following the "relite" material used (and patented by Montana Canvas(?) ) for the walls, front / rear w/ Sunforger 10oz marine canvas for the roof to ensure breathability.
I've tried to find that "relite" material though thus far only found it in complete tent build.

I found the sunforger material sold by the yard... fair pricing and within budget to do the whole tent... though it pushes my weight to 23lbs. I need to lose 8 lbs total. (3 lbs for zippers/toggles/other ideas and flat webbing / fold over double stitching / stove jack).

I'm going to build a titanium collapisble stove. Approx 1/3 smaller then the one I have built. Going to design it in a rectangular fashion. (goal under 5 lbs)

Budget to build the tent and stove in total - $750 (goal). I believe this is accessible based on value's discovered... though the weight is not there - yet.

Looking to find material vendors that will sell by the yard and material known to be durable and light weight.
Also any input would be great!

I plan to pack this in next season, hopefully with a back country fishing trial run prior to hunting season.

Feel free to PM me with thoughts or post here. Whatever works for you! Thanks for your input.

Found some interesting material that brings my weight to approx 10.5 lbs! Curious if any have used this material and your thoughts of it... Sounds great in writing... Actual use is another aspect.

This is what I am currently considering... Either completely made with WeatherMAX 65... Or that for the roof, front & rear and using the Super K-Kote Ripstop for the side walls.

WeatherMAX 65
This 100% solution dyed polyester incorporates UV resistant characteristics for long-term color and strength retention along with excellent breathablity and abrasion resistance. The HydroMAX finish raises the bar of hydrostatic performance and delivers unsurpassed water repellency, mildew and oil resistance without relying on environmentally unfriendly coating compounds. WeatherMAX 65 has anti-microbial properties and a minimum UV resistance of 1000 hours but only weighs 6.5 oz./sq. yard due to the use of a filament rather than a spun yarn like acrylic fabrics. Excellent for anything from horse blankets to tough outerwear to marine grade tarps.

Super K-Kote Ripstop
4 oz. per sq yd. 140 Denier with 1.5 oz coating. This heavy weave of ripstop with an extra heavy urethane coating makes the fabric extremely waterproof and durable.

28 sq yards total approx (+,-)
Super K-Kote Ripstop - 4oz sq yard = 24oz. (6 sq yards) = 1.5lbs
WeatherMAX 65 - 6.5oz sq yard = 143oz (22 sq yards) = 8.9lbs
Also found flat webbing that is super light for my corner, seams and grommet locations! And the Heavy duty zippers for a great weight! 2 lbs approx for these items. Not bad...

So overall - approx 12.5 lbs! And packability is fantastic - IF THESE MATERIALS ARE PRACTICAL....

One focus question on these fabrics - flame retardant?

Titanium stove: .028 thickness... approx 22gauge - TOO MUCH MONEY! I don't know how these people are making these stoves and selling them for even 350... Heck, just to price the sheet metal borders that price... and usually there are other aspects that weigh in on this.
I may actually look at purchasing the stove.

Appreciate the PM's for fabric vendors and the tips. I will continue to post the status of my build as it progresses.
Could sure use some info on these fabrics and any others I should look at - if anyone has input, it would be greatly appreciated!

Sykes i like your idea and have been thinking the same thing. I have a saddle shop with 2 large machines that are capable of sewing anything in the tent department. I have googled & searched the internet for a canvas supplier and have not found anything. I have never seen the stove pipe hole for the tents so i am not sure where to purchase one or if i can build it, i am not sure what its made of. I would be willing to share any ideas and collaborate building a tent with ya for sure. About 21 years ago i got into the leather business because of the same reason, what i needed was expensive and i felt i can build it. I am a school teacher now and have no desire to go into the tent business and have narrowed all my leather work down to friends and i. I do believe a tent is possible. Thanks , Trott.

If anyone could post the fabric vendors i would sure appreciate it.

Last edited:
Seeks outside and Titanium Goat will sell you the flaps for making the stove hole...FWIW.

I picked up my fabric samples from http://www.seattlefabrics.com/ They are a large distributor of various fabrics and give a decent review of the fabric use, weight, etc.

Sounds great, Trott - I am not in it for money either - I like the challenge and the usual value I can get from DIY... Heh, follows along the lines of the value of DIY hunt - in a sense... Everyone has their level of challenge and pride.

Going to look into that trevore. A friend recently mentioned this - or in general - parachute material, will check that link as well.

I purchased the "large" titanium stove from seeks outside - GREAT PRICE and GREAT WEIGHT! Initial plan was to fabricate the titanium stove... though cost alone for materials is close to the same as buying it complete from seeks outside.

BirdDog, I found a better material (from my perspective) from Rockywoods. The link you provided. Their site is very user friendly and was able to purchase all the additional items I needed - i.e. zipper, webbing, edge, etc.

For anyone following this build;

I am going with a different material then my initial post. I settled with the following:

210 Denier Doublewall Ripstop Nylon Fabric
Fabric Part Number : 1987-134
Sample Part Number : SAM1987-134 (Go to sample below)
Stock Availability : Limited quantity
Nominal Shipping Weight : 7 oz per linear yard
Nominal Fabric Weight : 3.8 oz per sq yard
Nominal Fabric Width : 59-60"

210 Denier Doublewall Ripstop Nylon Fabric
* Durable water repellent finish on front
* Waterproof polyurethane coating on back
* Flame retardant coating
* UV inhibitor coating
* Desert Tan color

We originally had this ripstop nylon fabric specially made for the US military and have to re-order it a few times as it has been pretty popular. This Doublewall Ripstop Nylon Fabric has all the bells and whistles with double wall ripstop, a flame retardant and UV inhibitor.

"Doublewall" ripstop fabric means that there are 2 ripstop threads in both directions instead of the usual 1.

This Doublewall Ripstop Nylon Fabric is great for tarps, temporary awnings or anywhere you need a tough fabric that's meant to be out in the environment.

This Doublewall Ripstop Nylon fabric is available on 100 yard rolls.

Doublewall Ripstop Nylon Fabric Specifications:
Warp - 58
Fill - 42
Total Weight - 3.7 oz/sq yd
Coating Weight - 0.75 - 1.0 oz/sq yd
Spray Rating, Initial AATCC-22 - 80-100
Breaking Strength Grab Method, FTM 5100 lbs - Warp 200, Fill 150
Initial Flame Retardant to CPAI-84 - Pass
Tear Resistance Tongue Method ASTMD-2261, lbs - Warp 14, Fill 12

It is a little heavier then the silnylon material though I want something that is a bit more durable and can take abuse that horse packing / backpacking will permit.
Total weight is around 9lbs. and the size is - base approx 9x10 though adding another good amount of space by taking the front and rear walls - pulling them out 5' in the front and 4' in the rear (visualize vestubles on either end). Stove jack added. 8' height in front and 6' height in the rear.
Going to use this for the entire tent with the exception of some noseeum netting to ensure breathability. Also changed my dimensions a bit as well. I'll see if I can scan my drawings in for others.

As with my stove: Feel free to use the design, etc for personal use - however, if you plan to profit from production - contact me and we will see what can be worked out.

Last edited:
FRONT / TOP / REAR VIEW
picture.php

SIDE VIEW
picture.php

No. They have a breakdown of pricing based on the linear yard.

I think this worked out to about $10 per linear yard (59-60" wide). <Edit: just looked at my order and it was $10.99 per linear yard.>

Purchased 30 linear yards.

The side view has noseeum netting present (rectangular portion) It has the main material on the inside that will cover the "window" areas - or bring down to whatever level to ensure maximum breathability... Also, nice during summer fishing back country trips...

Least that is the intent behind the design.

Last edited:
I went w/ #8 for the zippers and found a stove jack 4" hole via outdoor company called beckel. On my phone internet at the moment so when I have a chance I'll check my order and provide a link. Was approx 25$ + 5.50 for shipping.

I saw one on the davis tent site for a fair price however reached the shipping and the bastards wanted $16+!! To ship the same method as beckel. Hell the stove jack is around 5oz...

Last edited:
The side view has noseeum netting present (rectangular portion) It has the main material on the inside that will cover the "window" areas - or bring down to whatever level to ensure maximum breathability...

What will be on the outside to cover the netting if needed?

What will be on the outside to cover the netting if needed?

I didn't plan to add anything to the outside. I was thinking the angled overhang of the roof would guard it from any snow / rain. Wanted to make it accessible to people inside to adjust how much open air - based on how much of the netting is shielded by the fabric.

You think a longer overhang is needed or an outside cover?

I would much rather hear peoples thoughts then regret not having thought of something after the fact... :)

Summithunting, here is the link for my stove jack purchase.
http://beckelcanvas.com/products_view.php?products_id=27

You think a longer overhang is needed or an outside cover?
Looking again at the front and rear views, you will probably be fine. I would want the overhang to extend to near the level of the bottom of the mesh. Of course, if you get the wind required to get rain or snow through your netting with that overhang, that might be the least of your concerns. :D

Ya - I would think if a wind kicked up that much, I think my tent may turn to a parachute. :D

To avoid any potential, I could raise up the lower portion of the noseeum netting 6" or so - I believe that would still provide more then enough ventilation and that would put her in complete coverage of the overhang.

Either that or... install 3 open eyed grommets above the top length of netting. have p-cord attached to an outside flap of tent fabric that can be drawn in from inside (p-cord through the grommet eye hole) with something along this line...
media.nl

As a person pulls the p-cord inside the tent, it raises the flap covering the netting on the outside...
Hmmm - I think raising the netting base up 6" would be better...

Just brainstorming ideas.

Back