Designing/building durable & packable wall tent(?)

Thanks Kansas for the re-direct.

I am home now "In home patient therapy" and when I am able, I put a bit of time into the build.

Here is the main stitch pattern I am going with and a glimpse at the material.

picture.php

Still a tough manage though when my mind gets rolling in the design, it takes my mind off the vibrations and real tight chest feeling. (They say the vibrations are good... so I find them tolerable... haha!)

Last edited:
Looks pretty good Sytes, my stitches look drunk. I'm also having trouble getting the thread tension correct. It is so tempting to scuttle the project this year and buy a GoLite shangri-la 5 for $263. Decisions, decisions!

Looks pretty good Sytes, my stitches look drunk. I'm also having trouble getting the thread tension correct. It is so tempting to scuttle the project this year and buy a GoLite shangri-la 5 for $263. Decisions, decisions!

$263??? Link! Or is that in store? Man, i've spent approx 400$ in materials, HOPING it turns out good.. haha! Still i like the project and challenge. Helps to have a friendly mother mother in law that is a guru at sewing for advice.

For what you were looking for, $263 is almost beyond tempting! Reasonable enough for a wife line, "oops, sorry" moment. :) was hoping to see how your superlite material build went. Well, best of decisions to ya!

Ya better hurry on your price point! Golite is out of stock... however their shangri-la 3 is $199.00!!! And still in stock. I may pick one up as a ... just in case measure sleeps 3 and 4lbs +. Not bad!

I would place a stove jack close center ceiling off to one side, use the center next to the standing pole and 3 bodies have an equal share of heat... less ya got a runt with ya, then you and your bud can sleep either side of the pole and the grunt can find his place... :) Of course the "polite" move would be a nice triangle around the stove... haha!

Last edited:
Any tent gurus out there that can help with a breathability question?

Initially i was advised it would be a nice help for breathability esp with a stove rollin to fabricate some small windows in the walls - noseeum stuff. I went with that and still think its the best way to go.

Recently, someone mentioned to be effective i need to design the breathing function of netting along the peak area. I can design it to work reasonably enough though like the current pattern as shown in the main design.

Any critical hiccups or am i on track?

I picked up the last GoLite Shangi La 5 that the Boulder, CO store had. I am going to use it as a pattern for my winter tent w/ stove jack. This whole project will probably have to wait until this winter to complete. I just cant bring myself to start cutting holes in the shangri la. I've also been researching a DIY lightweight tent stove and might try to fabricate one after I complete the tent.

SHE's DONE! WOW! It looks great!

The material used is the 210 Denier Doublewall Ripstop Nylon Fabric. Noseeum netting was used for the window screens. There are 2 - 1' wide and 3' long windows along both side walls. (4 total). It has two poles used in the picture though we built outside loops that may be tied directly to a tree on either side as the material is light enough to not sag with regular tension or pecker poles can be used. Inside there is a thick material in each corner for the poles to press into. The stove jack is a 4" hole - designed for the smaller titanium stoves.

picture.php

The dimensions are roughly 9Wx9Lx8H with 5' pointed vestibules on either side.I spent about $450 for material and $420 for the titanium stove with a 9' stove pipe. In the end, I saved around a few hundred though that is based on the tent value and stove price I identified at the start of this project. My design adapted to functions in the build and seemed to frequently change and so did my tent dimensions and calculations... Had it not been for my mother in law, I would not have the quality tent it is. I severely under estimated the skill for sewing.

picture.php

The total weight for this tent is 13.3 lbs and my titanium stove is 3 lbs including the pipe. Very durable material and the size shiftmodified my initial weight goal - a bit.

picture.php

picture.php

I plan to do a final update in the "Prayers for Sytes" thread ( http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=250356&highlight=prayers+sytes ) as my brother... life long friend is flying up here as a promise to go hunting if I was walking by season. Nov 2-5 (unfortunately just a weekend) we're heading out. This will be my first venture away from Missoula since the accident.Actually a weekend is a good trip to see how things are going. The cold, reduction of meds (getting me prepped to enter light duty come end of the year) and the PT/OT regiment has kicked into high gear and it is game face time - time to toughen up and looking forward to returning to work. Anyhow, I'll fill in the rest in the other thread once I return with pictures. I have been blessed with another set of outstanding OT and PT members at community hospital in a Rehab day therapy program (3 days a week)... More next week.

Again, feel free to use the design for personal use though I have inspired you to profit, give me a holler first (PM me) - I'm all ears!

For the joe thinking this is a DIY build - have a great skill in sewing or someone considered incredible at sewing willing to give a massive amount of time to do the sewing. AND calculations are critical when the material is being cut and the tent is being sewn!

Cheers all! Best of success in your build or purchase.

Back