Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Desert sheep hunt raffle

Oak

Expert
The RMBS is raffling a 10-day desert sheep hunt with El Fuerte Outfitters in Baja, MX, to be taken January-March 2016. Tickets are $100 each and are capped at 750 available (which is likely a pipe dream).

Check out the raffle page on the RMBS site for more information and to purchase tickets. Tickets are also available another 3.5 weeks for the Weaver 7mm rifle, which will be drawn on June 27.

Here are a couple of 2015 rams taken by El Fuerte. Bowhunters are welcome on this hunt as well, and have gone 15 for 17 historically with El Fuerte.

DSC06272small_zpsbulftb3o.jpg

Stout1_zpstkubgyt0.jpg

ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh Oak I wanted to win after we sold only 20 tickets. Guess I need a new game plan.

In the big picture of sheep hunting it is sad both those guys are so grey when they got their chance.

Carry on! Lets get a youngie(most likely not a word) on a desert hunt!

For what it costs to apply for sheep in many states and the associated odds, I think that's actually a good deal. I'd rather spend $100 on that than $70 to get in the MT draw with 1 in 5,000 odds.

$100 chance for a $50,000 dollar hunt is a good deal. Probably better odds that I have in state.

I try for the Rocky Mountain Bighorn in the Pecos for many years. Shot in the dark, but someone wins!

I had a question, but answered it before I posted.

For the purpose of determining your personal federal income tax, the cost of a raffle ticket is not deductible as a charitable contribution. It may be deductible as a gambling loss, but only up to the amount of any gambling winnings from that tax year.

Next time I have a bunch of gambling winnings and need a tax deduction against them I will have to buy a bunch of tickets!!

In the big picture of sheep hunting it is sad both those guys are so grey when they got their chance.

Carry on! Lets get a youngie(most likely not a word) on a desert hunt!

I'll be happy to play. I'm at the 1/4 century mark! :hump:

Tax question.

Does the winner have a tax on the $50,000?

I am sure you do, but want a better answer.

Yep. You have to pay tax on the fair market value. Lots of requirements to the entity putting on the raffle as well.

http://www.bnncpa.com/industries/tax_exempt_organizations/blog/raffles_by_tax_exempt_organizations

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/notice_1340.pdf

I didn't know that the winner would have to actually cut a check for 25% of the fair market value of the prize when they won. Seems like some adjustments to the price of the ticket could remove that requirement, but regardless it is taxable to the winner.

Last edited:
Online ticket sales for the Weaver rifle close at midnight tomorrow, and then will only be available at the CO sheep and goat hunter orientation on Saturday where the winner will be drawn. Last chance!

Thank you to everyone who participated in the rifle raffle. The winner is Don Houser from Texas.

Many thanks to Kevin Weaver and family, as well as Swarovski Optik, for their continued outstanding support of RMBS.

Dang, I thought I had it, Just like my elk tag. Never drawn.

Congrats Don.

Always nice to dream.

Thanks Oak for the opportunity.

Dang...now to decide between the Sako 85 FL and the Howa alpine. Decisions decisions.

Hope the raffles were a great success for the Society.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back