Delta NF in Mississippi Under Water

We're pretty soaked upriver here in IA - radio piece today says some crops fields might not be planted at all due to being continually wet. Another 2.75" of rain today where I live...can't image what a mess that will be when it arrives in MS

Morganza Floodway is about to be operated for the third time in history and we just set the record for the longest period of time above flood level on the MS. Farmers are turning back seed and its not looking to go down anytime soon.

Morganza Floodway is about to be operated for the third time in history and we just set the record for the longest period of time above flood level on the MS. Farmers are turning back seed and its not looking to go down anytime soon.

They keep pushing it back. Right now scheduled for June 9th. Everything in the spillway is replaceable and resilient except for turkeys. They were just barely starting to recover from the 2011 opening. But I'm still crossing my fingers hoping they don't end up opening it.
Also set a record for Bonne Carre Spillway being opened for twice in the same season. St. Bernard parish has declared an emergency for the fisheries there due to freshwater intrusion. They had a big dolphin kill about a month ago

Yeah its tuff on everyone right now. Levees breaking up north, backwater here north of Vicksburg has been inundated since January.

Well the Core post pone opening the Morganza again, and don't have a date for when or if they'll open it. Supposed to crest there on June 15th and remain high for another two weeks or longer with still a possibility of opening. Sounds like no one on the river will get relief any time soon.

Yeah, even though it's my main hunting ground I hope they close all of the south delta for hunting this year.

Yeah, even though it's my main hunting ground I hope they close all of the south delta for hunting this year.
It’ll be interesting to see the deer numbers this fall. The deer have always come back, but it’s never been flooded this long.

Water is powerful and does what it always wants to do.

Its a shame to see how this is playing out for you folks down there.

Everyone is flooded out and we can't even fill a reservoir more than half full around here. I guess I shouldn't complain though because when it does come I'm sure it will all come at once. It's been 22 years since the last flood event so we're about due.

We have a place at Eagle Lake. It’s been flooded for months. Nobody ever imagined it could be this bad for this long. And it all could be prevented if pumps were installed to pump the backwater.

It’ll be interesting to see the deer numbers this fall. The deer have always come back, but it’s never been flooded this long.

The deer will definitely come back because of how resilient whitetails are. But the fact of how many have already died and the fact that the rest are all malnourished with more that are going to die. It would help them a lot if hunting was dropped in the region for the year.

We have a place at Eagle Lake. It’s been flooded for months. Nobody ever imagined it could be this bad for this long. And it all could be prevented if pumps were installed to pump the backwater.

Not all of it could have been prevented but it definitely would not have been near as bad. Sadly it's not the Corps call on that one.

There’s around 150,000 acres or more, of public land that’s been under water since January. The flood is decimating wildlife populations in the South Delta. Essentially, the Feds turned the South Delta into a bathtub and have no drain for it until the Mississippi River gets way down.

The water is receding, but deer season is in doubt on multiple public lands. The MDWFP is surveying the impact on the wildlife at this time.
On a positive note, I’ve seen green sprouting up where water just left. Maybe there’ll be a little browse.

Back