Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Definition of a raghorn

Raghorn, is not defined by a specific number of points but more by the characteristics associated with young bulls.
In human comparison it’s a teenager, long hair and acne included.

By connotation: Ragged, non symmetric antlers. Immature. Sub- dominate in most herds. The outlier.

Your bull is not a raghorn by my very definitive, non scientific definition and I am prepared to meme fight you to prove it. 😁

He looks to be at least in that 4-5 year old age class and constitutes a “nice bull” in almost every general hunting area. A “biggun.”

Contrary to popular belief, many bulls will not break 300” at any point in their lives. Especially here in Montana, where most bulls die before their fourth birthday. 🙁
The true definition comes from European red deer, you are referring to the colloquial definition. I personally don’t really like the colloquial one because it’s so subjective and therefore use the objective archaic definition which just counts points.

Last edited:
You guys argue about it...raghorn or not?

DSC00152.JPG

The true definition comes from European red deer, you are referring to the colloquial definition. I personally don’t really like the colloquial one because it’s so subjective and therefore use the objective archaic definition which just counts points.

There’s no way you really think that 300” 5 pt is a raghorn. Seems like a better line could be drawn based on age or score. Maybe <3.5 yo or <220”?

Kind of like obscenity, you know a raghorn when you see it.

I compare 5 pt bulls to 4x4 (8pt) whitetails. They can either be a baby basket rack or a really nice mature buck

There’s no way you really think that 300” 5 pt is a raghorn. Seems like a better line could be drawn based on age or score. Maybe <3.5 yo or <220”?

Kind of like obscenity, you know a raghorn when you see it.
Per all of my comments, I call any bull 2-5pts a raghorn.

I didn’t grow up elk hunting and therefore don’t have the cultural baggage so I feel comfortable with the “dictionary” definition.

Though to your point I would call any bull +/- 240 a mature bull. Heavy five, or a bull that has through his second 6X6 rack.

Most bulls people kill in CO are 2.5-3.5 bulls, colloquially and usually objectively raghorns. That’s what the state manages for, I see all public land bulls as trophies so I personally don’t think calling a bull a raghorn is derogatory.

Last edited:
These three Montana bulls were called rag horns by other hunters, but Im pretty happy with them and were great eating. I wish we could ban the term rag horn, piss-cutter, brush bull, etc; it doesn’t give full credit to such a beautiful creature.

Attachments

• BBAFBCD7-B0EF-495E-B00F-46D2A1806143.jpeg
    BBAFBCD7-B0EF-495E-B00F-46D2A1806143.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 10E333AF-680D-4690-BA99-A0B796583F91.jpeg
    10E333AF-680D-4690-BA99-A0B796583F91.jpeg
    586.7 KB · Views: 64
  • ACABE49B-895B-4108-9AD1-AC31C1507891.jpeg
    ACABE49B-895B-4108-9AD1-AC31C1507891.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 65
My son's first couple of "Rag-Horns", but he would argue that he tagged a great 4x4 and a super nice 5x5! ANY PUBLIC LAND BULL taken on a general tag in a publicly open area is a trophy, rag-horn or not!

1st Elk-1st Bull - One Happy Young Hunter!.JPG

2nd Bull - 1st in the Backcountry - Smile tells it all!.JPG

Solid 5x5 from a few years past. Rag-Horn to some, but to me, he was a very hard earned bull that I was happy to get a crack at! Montana public bulls have now become very tough to find!!

Last load - 2014 Backcountry Bull..JPG

To quote Justice Potter Stewart -- i know it when I see it, and I won't shoot.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back