Definition of a raghorn

It's what Lamb likes to hunt for with his hard - to - draw limited entry tag

You claimed it. You show it.

I gave my definition of a raghorn. I don't care about antlers but I might use the term raghorn to describe an elk to a friend when I help them with a hunt.

I’m not sure I follow? That particular bull scored around 295-300 (I’m a total novice scorer), all 5pt are technically raghorns.
Raghorn, is not defined by a specific number of points but more by the characteristics associated with young bulls.
In human comparison it’s a teenager, long hair and acne included.

By connotation: Ragged, non symmetric antlers. Immature. Sub- dominate in most herds. The outlier.

Your bull is not a raghorn by my very definitive, non scientific definition and I am prepared to meme fight you to prove it. 😁

He looks to be at least in that 4-5 year old age class and constitutes a “nice bull” in almost every general hunting area. A “biggun.”

Contrary to popular belief, many bulls will not break 300” at any point in their lives. Especially here in Montana, where most bulls die before their fourth birthday. 🙁

I’m not sure I follow? That particular bull scored around 295-300 (I’m a total novice scorer), all 5pt are technically raghorns.

Yeah, I don't count 5pt as rag horns anymore, for reasons just like the one in your pic. I've seen some dang big 5x5s with racks so cool I'd take them over an average 6x6 all day long.

It's easy enough to say small raghorn, raghorn, or big raghorn. That fast description will tell my buddy what it is. All would be a raghorn to him.

For me, they'd all be legal shooters.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back