Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Deer Rumor

Epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) has really taken a toll on whitetails in Montana the last year or two. Not to mention two harsh winters in a row. Numbers from the Central part of the State to the Northeast corner are in anywhere from tough shape to super tough shape. If I were planning a Montana deer hunt I would really think twice before heading anywhere in the Northeast corner. Both mule deer and whitetail numbers are down significantly and antelope are just as bad.

Along my little piece of the Milk River bottom I would say we had about 98% mortality between the winter of '10-'11 and the following EHD outbreak. Where there would normally be about 100 deer now there are two and they are both yearlings.

Ya I noticed no change in the regs for and area I know was hit hard by EHD. I'm not sure why they are still offering extra tags for shooting does along with the general deer tags. I would think they would try and get some population back.

Ya I noticed no change in the regs for and area I know was hit hard by EHD. I'm not sure why they are still offering extra tags for shooting does along with the general deer tags. I would think they would try and get some population back.

Those numbers are tentative. They can do a lot changing before they issue tags.

For what it's worth, the deer in Region 1,2 and 3 missed out on the EHD outbreak. I really only heard about it being real bad up on the Milk and a few other places.

how did the deer in the SE corner of the state fair in like in the Custer Nat For and areas around there and into SD and NE WY. Was conpemlating a mule deer hunt there this year

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back