Deer Cloning: ethical, unethical, or a non issue?

Only in Texas! Why am I not surprised.

Brings to mind the B&C dispute a couple years back when the young girl in holey blue jeans and tee shirt shot the record buck from a Louisiana tree stand that just happened to escape from neighbour's game farm earlier in the day. Was it fair chase or a big $$$ setup? Farmed big bucks and bulls are being released for trophy hunting all the time. Sick. Like the above poster said, it gives North American hunting a bad name. Very bad. Texas has been in the business of doing that for a long time. No longer the Lone Star State ... been the Canned Hunt State for as long as I've been hunting.

I think of penned deer as livestock instead of game animals. I don't have an issue with them improving them how they see fit. In my mind its not a lot different than how I raise cattle. We AI and IVF top tier cattle regularly. I don't think they should be allowed into the wild population.
Yeah...well.
Only in Texas! Why am I not surprised.

Brings to mind the B&C dispute a couple years back when the young girl in holey blue jeans and tee shirt shot the record buck from a Louisiana tree stand that just happened to escape from neighbour's game farm earlier in the day. Was it fair chase or a big $$$ setup? Farmed big bucks and bulls are being released for trophy hunting all the time. Sick. Like the above poster said, it gives North American hunting a bad name. Very bad. Texas has been in the business of doing that for a long time. No longer the Lone Star State ... been the Canned Hunt State for as long as I've been hunting.
Don't pin it all on Texas. Texas may be big, but it doesn't hold a monopoly on exotics, deer "ranching" and high fence operations.
Still LOT'S of free range hunting in Texas.

The Ford Ranch in Brady, Tx has been developing deer bloodlines for ages. No high fence.Everything is free range.

If they could clone a bighorn sheep that was immune to pneumonia...

I’m with you on this.
why can’t man let GOD and nature determine what lives on his planet
Yep. Cloning entirely eliminates any genetic contribution from the maternal side. Animals are reproduced solely from genetic material of the buck. Zero evolution ... = extinction. It will be interesting to see if the "children" have exact duplicate antlers of the parent or will environmental factors shape their racks differently. Interesting to know ... but that's it. Ultimately cloning is counterproductive for the species if it is to remain truely wild ... which seems doubtful in any event. Example: Quality Deer Management

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back