Deep running spinners

VAspeedgoat

We are getting ready to leave on our vacation and was curious what some of you guys did to get your spinners to run deeper. Obviously split shot, but was curious if there were brands that tended to run deeper or other tricks. I was actually thinking of putting split shot on the shank of the spinner itself so there wasn't a blob leading the spinner through the water.

Any suggestions are appreciated. I have my fly rods but the younger two still prefer there spinning rods. Also I have taken big skys suggestions and have jigs ready to go. Perhaps this solves the problem. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Obviously split shot, but was curious if there were brands that tended to run deeper or other tricks.
Panther Martin spinners run deeper than other brands as they have lead bodies. Yellow with red dots and silver blades or black with yellow dots and gold blades work well for me.

I have been using the 1/4 oz. Joes Flies spinners with gold blade/black fly. Worked very well this spring in the deep pools. I recommend 6lb, test line at a minimum as they seem to really stress your line.

Panther Martin spinners run deeper than other brands as they have lead bodies. Yellow with red dots and silver blades or black with yellow dots and gold blades work well for me.

I like the panther martins as well for the weight for their size. I also have a lot of luck with those same two colors in Idaho. My cousin lives in CO and last summer every picture of a fish he sent me had the black with gold blade spinner.

Run whatever spinner you want to. Attach one of those teardrop shaped sinkers about a foot or so up from the spinner like you would a strike indicator on a fly line. It takes a little finesse to cast that way but it can be done.

Bullet sinkers. They streamline as one with the spinner unit, with or without a swivel snap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back