Caribou Gear

decoy spread

skimerhorn

Ok so I'm a beginner starting to be serious about my waterfowl hunting. Now I'm trying to build a decoy spread from 0. I'll be hunting all beaver ponds and swamps for puddle ducks. What is a good number to start with, and how many species? Also does it matter what kind, obviously you don't want divers in there. Also tips on rigging decoys and a jerk string or mojo to throw out there to?

Agreed! Mojo type spinners and half doz. decoys, whatever fits on your back with your other gear and you're good to go for small ponds. Set up with the wind at your back so they land in front of you. throw a few decoys to each side of your hiding spot and leave a "hole" in the middle for them to land in, or keep all of the decoys real close to you so you don't have long shots. And,... they are never as close as you think they are when you stand up to shoot, so wait as long as your nerves can possibly stand it. When their feet are spread out and they are inches from the water then you have done it all right. Take em! & Have fun!!

Mojo's are awesome. They work pretty much anywhere. I carry a little over a dozen and a mojo on my back when I go out. Sometimes a little more and some goose decoys if I dont have to cross too much water. I dont live in that great of a flyway and lots of private land but I can always get some birds when I get out early before sunrise. Get the wind right and some open or calm water. Good luck and shoot straight.

Oh yeah.....gotta have a Mojo....never ever kilt a single duck without one....Jeez! But I only been hunting the bustards 55 years!
BE STILL! HIDE YOUR SHINEY WHITE FACE!! DON'T CALL TOO MUCH !! Half a doz Mallards work in all ponds, say four drakes and two hens.

I have had good luck this season. The first weekend had 13 decoys out. Since then I have only used 7 mallard G&H magnums. I still think the most important secret to success is to scout and find out where the birds want to be. Now for my arrogance, MoJo's should be illegal. I don't hunt waterfowl with electorics, but I do have two wind driven Winduxs. I only have one in use at a time.

To get some cheap decoys, watch craigslist for some old beat up decoys that someone is trying to get rid of and then repaint them. Here are a few that I just repainted.

Attachments

• IMG_20131017_191836_327.jpg
    IMG_20131017_191836_327.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 652
I'd pick up a dozen GHG hotbuy mallards and call it good to start. I own several dozen mixed duck decoys, and my standard go to spread cosists of 8 or 9 mallards, and a couple drake wigeon. I like to add just a couple of wigeon or pintail due to the white on them, and how they stand out. I can count how many pintail I've shot on one hand in the last 5 years, but the mallards don't seem to mind. I do own a mojo, but rarely use it (mostly cause I forget to charge the battery). Definitely not a necessity, but they do work.

My decoy spread changes as the year goes on here in Minnesota. Early on I'll start with 1-1.5 dozen mallard decoys and use mostly all hens as the full plumage drake mallards have not arrived yet. I might put out 6-8 wood duck decoys as well just for some color and to change it up from what most other hunters are throwing out there.

As the year goes on and you get the migrating birds and larger flocks, then the spread gets bigger. I'll put out as many decoys as I can and get all the guys from the group to pool their decoys and their man power to lug them out there. We'll use 3 or 4 mojos and several dozen floaters, or if we are hunting a field we will use a few dozen full bodies and several mojos.

As someone said, a shiney white face will tip you off long before the wrong decoy spread. I ALWAYS wear a facemask and try to identify anything that might put off unwanted shine (empties, gun barrel, etc).

If you are hunting in bad weather don't let the snow build up on the decoys, and don't set decoys the night before if it is going to frost. If your decoys frost, clean them up.

Try to get as much motion out of your decoys as possible. If you have to rig up a homemade contraption... do it. Try to make your spread stand out from all the others. Good luck!!

If you're hunting small water like beaver dams, I'd look for about a dozen decoys, half a dozen quality mallard decoys, in poses that aren't all heads up , and a puddler pack from one of the manufacturers that package them, usually a pair of widgeon, pintails and gwt. If you're competing against a bunch of clowns with multiple spinning wing decoys, you may have to play their game, but I think you're better off w a jerk cord. A length of cord that will get to a mounting spot, and a piece of surgical tubing for the end away from you. I use trot line clips to attach the three decoys I use to this cord.

For rigging I do everything with Texas rigs, look on YouTube for instructions. If you end up with a lot of decoys (yeah it happens) snl corp is the best place I've found for bulk 400 lb mono and crimps, but for a dozen or less you can find them already made up at a cabelas or similar.

Welcome to the addiction, and remember hide your shiny white face, don't move, and learn when to call, and when not to, and most importantly, little Debbie's beats hostess every day.

choc dogs, we do same thing on jerk cords.....piece of pipe with eye bolt a few yards out to run cord thru, piece of pipe 35 or so yards out as an anchor post, tie the surgical tubing to it and to end of jerk cord, 3 or 4 big fishing swivels on cord and decoys rigged with couple feet of line and a small swivel to attach. Quick set up and removal.
As someone said above, the best place to kill ducks is find where they want to go and be there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cwdrx
Back