Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Steel shot for geese

Bob-WY

I will be goose hunting over decoys in fields shortly. My past life waterfowl was centered on ducks and I shot 20 Guage 3inch mag #2. Worked great on ducks and on a random goose they also worked

Is it a wise move to go up to bb sized shot when the only targets will be Canadian geese, both greater and lesser is possible

Thoughts?

Last edited:
If you're still using the 20 ga. I'd stick with the #2's. Actually I don't think you have a choice on that. If you've got a 12 ga. then yah I'd go with BB especially for late season birds.

Given the gun cabinet contents, 20 Guage is it. Well an antique 16 Guage side by side, but not using that

Given the gun cabinet contents, 20 Guage is it. Well an antique 16 Guage side by side, but not using that
You'll be fine with the #2's especially if they're decoying right. If its in the budget I'd spring for some tungsten or boss, if not you'll still kill them. Post up some pics afterwards. Good luck!

Good shooten, I use 12 ga 3 in #3 over decoys in a field. Generally shots are 12 to 30 yards. Works for me but they sell tons of stuff for a reason.

My setup- 20ga, hevi steel, extended range choke, #2 shot. Kills loads of ducks, geese and pheasants evey year.

I shoot 3” 3’s in steel for everything. That said nearly all of the geese we kill are less than 40 and more often less than 30 yards. My daughters have killed plenty of big honkers over decoys with a 20 and 2’s or 4’s.

My preference is 12 ga 3" #2's when geese and ducks are in season, #4 steel for wood ducks/early season, BB for goose only. If you're using a 20 ga though I would stick with #2 or 3 due to pattern densities.

Many years ago I switched to Kent 3” , 1 1/4 oz of #1 steel for all ducks and geese. 12 ga Improved Cylinder. Lots of time spent with patterning. Simple, very effective, no more “left pocket for goose loads”… “right pocket for duck loads”.

Hevi-Metal 3in 2 shot if your only choice is the 20ga. It’s loaded with 30% bismuth and 70% steel so it performs better on geese even with smaller shot size. Probably find it for $33/box. The difference in performance over regular steel is noticeable and worth the extra money.

Many years ago I switched to Kent 3” , 1 1/4 oz of #1 steel for all ducks and geese. 12 ga Improved Cylinder. Lots of time spent with patterning. Simple, very effective, no more “left pocket for goose loads”… “right pocket for duck loads”.
Yeah, if hunting big ducks and Canada's which we almost always are. #1's work great for us.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back