Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ammo for snow geese?

ashersdad

Haven't waterfowl hunted in years and got invited to hunt snow geese in Idaho.

What size shot and brand do most of you use for geese? I have a Benelli Nova that will take 3 1/2" shells and my trusty 35 year old model 870 that will take 3" shells. I prefer the 870. Looking online it looks like there is a wide variety that could work. Any suggestions on what has worked for you? Thank you.

Anything from BB-2 works good for me. I get whatever is cheapest at the time. Don't really see the point in getting super expensive stuff for low percentage shots, plus I mag dump on singles when I'm really bored, which is most of the time I'm snow goose hunting.

I love 3.5" personally, but not required.

I'm a fan of Winchester snow goose shells, it's a mix of 1's and 2's. I've had great success with Canada's using it, and a few snows (not the target of the hunt, more a bonus bird)

A lot. Extend the choke tube and get as many sky carp as possible. 🤣

I used to snow goose hunt but I gave that nonsense up, my buddies that still do all run extended choke tubes and most of them hold 13.

You start a little early today? You mean extended magazine tube?🤣😉

No judgement, I'm making jerky and have started already myself.

No, just my typical idiotic self. Not sure why I said choke tube. 😂 I guess if you extend the choke out to lengthen the barrel it may help.

I haven’t drank for a couple days. My mind is fuzzy. 🤣

Edit to add: I’m not editing my previous post. I embrace my stupidity and misuse of common terms.

Last edited:
Go with steel 2’s. Snows are weak they only take a pellet to two to drop. I would go with a 3” 1.25 oz load as I find the bit slower loads pattern better usually vs the 1550 fps ones

This.

Used to buy 4 or 5 cases at a time of federal blue box 3" 1.25 ounce #1s, Bs, or BBs for snows. The good old days when you could always get a case (10 boxes) for $90-100 shipped from rogers sporting goods. Still have a couple cases sittin around.

BB - 2's will work depending on what you find. More pellets, less speed = better pattern and the 3"ers wont pound you as bad as 3.5's as you empty a mag tube.

This or if you can find some 1's they work great too imo. No need for 3.5"
^^^^
Exactly! BBs or #1 @ 1550 fps. Speed kills when using steel shot. Modified choke is probably best though I shot those steel loads through my fixed full 870 for almost thirty years with no issues. Modified will give you a better pattern.

This.

Used to buy 4 or 5 cases at a time of federal blue box 3" 1.25 ounce #1s, Bs, or BBs for snows. The good old days when you could always get a case (10 boxes) for $90-100 shipped from rogers sporting goods. Still have a couple cases sittin around.

BB - 2's will work depending on what you find. More pellets, less speed = better pattern and the 3"ers wont pound you as bad as 3.5's as you empty a mag tube.
First Covid year idk what was going on but you in Canada they had some good deals on shot shells. I got federal blue box for 15$ a box then federal had a $4 a box rebate. Ahh the good old days

This.

First Covid year idk what was going on but you in Canada they had some good deals on shot shells. I got federal blue box for 15$ a box then federal had a $4 a box rebate. Ahh the good old days

I hit this same Federal rebate in Nov 2020, couldn't believe it!! Wonder how many years till we see that again, if EVER!

Thanks for all the responses. I stopped at 2 different Sportsman's Warehouses today and the first didn't have anything even close. The 2nd store had some 3" BB for $20.99/box. They also had some 3.5" BB for almost $50/box. I decided to go with the cheaper option.

Want to know the best recipe for a snow goose? Boil it in water with a leather boot. Throw away the goose and eat the boot.

Back