Decision on what to do about my Abolt

Majja

Recently My Abolt has not been performing as needed. I thought it was just I had not been spending enough trigger time behind it. Well I went to the range on Sunday with a buddy and the good news it was not me it is the gun. :p So I am going back to the drawing board with this load to see if it is just the load or the rifle. If it is the rifle the decision is to sell it for what i can get out of it and buy a new one. (it is a 1994 ish Abolt 300 Win Mag) OR take it to a local smith and have a new barrel put on it and at that time just do a full blueprint and square the action to the barrel as well as maybe adding a brake. Where i am torn here is I know I will spend a little more on re building the Abolt but when I am done I will have a custom rifle. I do want to maintain the 300 WM as I really do like it. I have other rifles I can use on my elk hunt this year if it is not the load. So please lets here those opinions I do not get offended so please feel free to not hold back.

Thanks
Majja

The load is 180 accubond on 79 gr's of H1000 the first 2 shots are almost touching and then the next 3 go like 3 inches low and spread left to right over about a 5 inch range. the left to right string is all to the left of point of aim moving in the direction of POA. The 3 low shots stayed consistent at about the same elevation on the POA. All shots were at a 100yds off of a block rest.

Have you tried a different scope? While the scope is off make sure all the base and ring screws are properly torqued. That's where I'd start. After that I'd check the bedding/stock. If it shot that load well before in all likelihood something has moved/broken.

Have you tried a different scope? While the scope is off make sure all the base and ring screws are properly torqued. That's where I'd start.

^This sounds like a good idea. I am not the smartest guy on all of this, but what you describe seems like an odd symptom of a barrel/action issue. Is the rifle bedded?

This decision will probably hinge on how much you like that action design and what emotional attachment you have to the rifle.

You can probably get the action work and barrel installed (including barrel), for under $1k depending on the barrel you pick. Depending on your current trigger, if you had this done, you should expect accuracy well under MOA.

I have the same gun (roughly the same age) in 7mm mag and it will drive tacks out to 500 yds with factory ammo. I would check the scope first as well.

When my A-Bolt started shooting a bit off this past fall it turned out that the screws holding the action to the stock weren't tightened down very good.

It still isn't a terrific shooter (1.5" groups off a bench at 100 yards) but it is way better than the 3"+ groups it was getting when things weren't tightened down.

I very much dought you need a newbarrel. Like was said check for tightnes of the screws in stock and the scope bases and rings.If they are good and tight then try another scope. Is the barrel free floated ? Maybe the stock warp and is putting pressure on the barrel ? I have several Brownings and never had aproblem.

My first thought was action screws or scope. Do not over-tighten the action screws either. You might have to do some web searching but there probably is a recommended torque setting for those action screws. If you call a browning tech rep they will give you that info. I'm thinking 35-40 lbs

Last edited:
I tore it all down Monday night the screws were not loose in the action. As far as bedding goes it is just the standard skim bedding that Browning does. I will pull the scope and mound off and see what happens there and see if I have an issue with the scope. I had not ever down a lot of testing on this load. I had to change it close to the hunt last year as I could not find the normal components I use for my elk load. So I have many gremlins to chase. Keep the suggestions coming. I can pull the scope off of another rifle and try that out next week when I head back out. Please keep up the suggestions. Not emotionally attached to the rifle, but I do love the browning 60 degree through and the fact it is not a Rem 700 so it is a little different.

If it is the rifle the decision is to sell it for what i can get out of it and buy a new one. (it is a 1994 ish Abolt 300 Win Mag) .

If it is a stainless stocker model I would sell it. I had one real close to 1994 that gave me fits. First stainless I owned so I wanted to love it and tried to get it to shoot but never found an answer. Best thing I did was sell that gun. I spent a couple years trying and missed a couple gimmie bulls.

Maybe I got a lemon - i dont know but your post brought back some bad memories.

Just my experience from back in the 90's.

I tore it all down Monday night the screws were not loose in the action. As far as bedding goes it is just the standard skim bedding that Browning does. I will pull the scope and mound off and see what happens there and see if I have an issue with the scope. I had not ever down a lot of testing on this load. I had to change it close to the hunt last year as I could not find the normal components I use for my elk load. So I have many gremlins to chase. Keep the suggestions coming. I can pull the scope off of another rifle and try that out next week when I head back out. Please keep up the suggestions. Not emotionally attached to the rifle, but I do love the browning 60 degree through and the fact it is not a Rem 700 so it is a little different.

Sounds like it's the load. Is the brass new? How many times has it been loaded? If you changed components then it's going to change the POI.

The browning abolt "stainless stalker" is the only firearm that I've ever owned that I don't regret getting rid of. Junk.

The only problem rifle I couldn't figure out was an A Bolt. The primary thing is dislike about a-bolts is the trigger assembly. It's a hot mess.

Unless you damaged your barrel, the problem should be easily remedied.

So, you changed loads last year from one that shot well to one that is untested, and now the groups are not that good? Components have been much easier to source this year, at least they are right now, so why not go back to the original load and see how it shoots?

Elsewise, same advice as above regarding checking scope mounts and action screws.

If it still shoots poorly with proven loads, have a gunsmith stick a scope down the bore. It takes all of 5 minutes and any reputable gunsmith would be willing to take a quick look-see for a minimal charge.

The browning abolt "stainless stalker" is the only firearm that I've ever owned that I don't regret getting rid of. Junk.

My dad and I have been shooting them for almost 25 years without any issues. I'm not disputing that you had problems, but I have more confidence in mine than any other gun I own.

Thank you for all the info. No it is not the Stainless, just good old fashioned blued and Walnut stock. I was at my local Sports warehouse and they had plenty of the old load. Also I just came into 2 box of Hornady White tail for 35.00 a buddy of mine bought them by accident grabbed those instead of the 300 Savage next to them. So I have some new factory ammo to just ring out what the issue may be. I feel it should shoot factory at least 1.5-2 MOA. but we will see. I am not discounting the scope yet either. I guess I will be spending next week on the reloading bench and then will go to the range. Scope test first. I will also check for a pressure point when she heats up. I will post back with my findings.

Thanks again all.

Yep - thats the one stalker not stocker like I wrote. It did the same thing OP is describing. I changed loads, scope and bases. Missed two bulls two years in a row with it. I wasted so much time and resources on that thing. It almost ended my desire to hunt. Spend all year getting ready then miss a couple bulls and you really start to question your sanity and or ability.

I'm glad a few others had the same problem.

That rifle made me question my manhood :)

If you don't love it, save yourself some headaches and sell it if the scope and rings are not the problem.

I missed my first shots on a nice bull last year that should of been dead in his tracks. So if I can not ring it out by August I will go to my back up gun and see whats next.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back