Death and Taxes

Just to throw out some thought on the "Why" when I read your post.

I believe the American generations have slowly eroded and gaining speed from the days where responsibility for one's own action meant something. WWII was an era of American business and individual pride to support the war effort. There was vaulted pride that continued from Theodore Roosevelt's speech that I place on equal level with MLK's I have a dream speech, regarding an AMERICAN.

"There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

This American pride does not exist. In fact, I would argue it is frowned upon by the dissolving collective generation that promote PRIDE in LGBT-A-B-C-and D, BLM, etc. However, American... the WWII national pride has left the field.

Why? We can postulate 'til our hearts bleed dry. IMO, you answered the "WHY?" within your message. We pacify ourselves, rationalize poor behavior, discount respect for this great nation... and with that, our businesses hold the morale owned by other countries who give two craps for American pride.

We've lost our sense of pride in our, "Community"... We are a mess as a nation. More stuff, less work.

That was a run on... haha! Agree, disagree though the WHY it matters to some is due to our downward trend we need to reverse though, IMO - we're too far down the selfish path to recover.
TR

"We must protect the crushable elements at the base of our present industrial structure. We stand for a living wage. Wages are subnormal if they fail to provide a living for those who devote their time and energy to industrial occupations. The monetary equivalent of a living wage varies according to local conditions, but must include enough to secure the elements of a normal standard of living--a standard high enough to make morality possible, to provide for education and recreation, to care for immature members of the family, to maintain the family during periods of sickness, and to permit a reasonable savings for old age. " ~CHICAGO, AUGUST, 1912

"Our aim is to promote prosperity and then to see that prosperity is passed around, that there is a proper division of prosperity. We wish to control big business so as to secure among other things good wages for the wageworkers and reasonable prices for the consumers. We will not submit to the prosperity that is obtained by lowering the wages of working men and charging an excessive price to consumers, nor to that other kind of prosperity obtained by swindling investors or getting unfair advantages over business rivals. We propose to make it worth while for our business men to develop the most efficient business agencies, but we propose to make these business agencies do complete justice to our whole people." ~AUGUST 1912

My point was, you think you hate the current system because your life is so f-in' soft and cushy you have nothing else of substance to be opposed to.

If we had a 50% tax rate you'd still be better off than the vast majority of humans alive today.

Stop fabricating problems and creating mountains out of mole hills; enjoy life before death and stop complaining about taxes.

My point was, you think you hate the current system because your life is so f-in' soft and cushy you have nothing else of substance to be opposed to.

If we had a 50% tax rate you'd still be better off than the vast majority of humans alive today.

Stop fabricating problems and creating mountains out of mole hills; enjoy life before death and stop complaining about taxes.

The percentage of money I earn that is given to the Government to use for the betterment of society is nothing of substance? Interesting. Agree to disagree.

It is alarming to me when 1 in 6 people work for the government in the USA>> off to a good start in regards to voting in favor for higher taxes.

It is alarming to me when 1 in 6 people work for the government in the USA>> off to a good start in regards to voting in favor for higher taxes.

government employees still watch the government take money out of their pay checks.

government employees still watch the government take money out of their pay checks.
agree
But there is something to say about working for a company when revenues are increasing >>>>>

The percentage of money I earn that is given to the Government to use for the betterment of society is nothing of substance? Interesting. Agree to disagree.
Do you have a job, are your kids well fed, educated, can you drive to the grocery store and buy food, buy a TV, buy a car, travel to a destination, do you have free time, do you have freedom with your free time, if your kids get sick can you take them to a doctor, etc.

What would 20% more staying in your pocket, actually do to improve your life?

There are real problems in the world and taxes isn't one of them.

Why is it alarming? Less than 2 of 100 work for the Federal Govt. Most work at the local level. What % should it be? How do we get there? Regardless of which party is in charge, those %s have remained relatively stable over the decades.

agree
But there is something to say about working for a company when revenues are increasing >>>>>

which is true. but in gov more revenue hardly trickles down to pay raises. i did work for the state of colorado for a while. there, cost of living adjustments are rare, quite rare and never enough, especially compared to private sectors. and largely, the only way to get a raise to apply for a position when someone retires. lots of flavors of government and different sources of tax for those government, but at least at the state level that's what i saw.

i personally feel like governmetn employees who care about their agencies budgets are more interested in voting down tax cuts that will hamper their operations than voting in tax raises.

Do you have a job, are your kids well fed, educated, can you drive to the grocery store and buy food, buy a TV, buy a car, travel to a destination, do you have free time, do you have freedom with your free time, if your kids get sick can you take them to a doctor, etc.

What would 20% more staying in your pocket, actually do to improve your life?

There are real problems in the world and taxes isn't one of them.
Yes to all of those things.

Don't know that I need more money to improve anything in my life. To me that's not the point. Really love it when the Government tells us we don't really need all the money we earn. Its particularly interesting when a completely random person, that I have never met tells me I don't really need all the money I earn.

You have what I consider an odd take on taxes. For me, I consider the percentage of money that I earn that is given to the Government and what it is then used on to help solve all these real problems you say exist, to be of the highest importance. Like I said we can agree to disagree.

BTW, I pay a high percentage in tax. Don't mind it at all. Consider it a responsibility of being a contributing member of society. I do get tired of the endless cries from one political party in particular that it's just not enough. If I wasn't so GD greedy and just give up a more of my money then we could finally fix the real problems. If I actually felt a lack of Government revenue was the real problem then I would be happy to spare some more pocket change to fix it. Its not a funding issue, on that I am positive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back