Deadheads - Let's see 'em

targetpanic

Found these guys on a trip to Ontario in 2007. The buck was either shot and not recovered and the wolves tore him apart or the wolves hunted him down and tore him apart.
2007_1031_114226.jpg

The moose had been there a long time
2007_1103_120530.jpg

phor-O-six

I stumbled onto this fella while taking the dogs for a walk on the public lands of Montana last weekend. If not for the lone magpie flushing from the site, I would have probably walked right by him at 30 yards. It seems like winter got the best of him as there was no evidence of wolves or mountain lion at the kill site. I plan on stretching a tape on him before too long and a boil and bleach after that. I am feeling pretty lucky as this is the last thing I thought I'd run into on a random dog walk. This is my first attempt at posting a photo so bear with me if it goes awry.

deadhead 20180127.jpg

phor-O-six

375 - It was in a general unit. Ultimately, it is tough to say what got him. I just would have expected more consumption if it were a wolf or lion kill. I also checked for bullet holes or subcutaneous hemorrhaging, but was not able to find any. That said, the hide was pretty frozen and even a poor man's necropsy was not possible.

375H&H

375 - It was in a general unit. Ultimately, it is tough to say what got him. I just would have expected more consumption if it were a wolf or lion kill. I also checked for bullet holes or subcutaneous hemorrhaging, but was not able to find any. That said, the hide was pretty frozen and even a poor man's necropsy was not possible.
Yeah I hear ya. It sounds like winter is most probable without a CSI team there.

Glad to hear it was in a general unit in Montana. I was under the impression that there aren't any bull elk left in general units in Montana so glad to see there are still a few dying from random causes.

bonedogg

I stumbled onto this fella while taking the dogs for a walk on the public lands of Montana last weekend. If not for the lone magpie flushing from the site, I would have probably walked right by him at 30 yards. It seems like winter got the best of him as there was no evidence of wolves or mountain lion at the kill site. I plan on stretching a tape on him before too long and a boil and bleach after that. I am feeling pretty lucky as this is the last thing I thought I'd run into on a random dog walk. This is my first attempt at posting a photo so bear with me if it goes awry.

View attachment 79809
he sure looks emaciated along the spine.

squirrel

A good snowy day activity to pull them down. 165-185" but some are very massive old guys.

IMG_3404.jpg

IMG_3402.jpg