Day packs for elk

bow.hunter.406

I am in the market for a day pack that would be used for 1-3 day elk and deer hunts. I am looking at the kuiu icon pro 3200 or the Sitka bivy 30. I was wondering if anybody has experience with either or could recommend another great pack.

I have icon pro 3200. I love it..
I will say I never tried anything else except badlands, eberlestock...
Owned both and sold them once I tried my kuiu.. Huge difference

I had a KUIU and while it is a great day pack, I would not want to carry anything heavier than 50lbs in it. I put a front quarter into it on a flat half mile hike and wanted to cry.

I did the same with a MR crew cab, one of the rear quarters and it carried far better.

I have a Seek Outside pack now and done many test/training loads north of 50lbs and it carries very well.

Another vote for Stone Glacier. I run the Solo with the Approach clicked on. Total package is under 4 pounds and it will haul as much as you can handle. Very adjustable for your torso size, etc.

I've been using a ExoMountain 3500 for my short trips over the last year and once I got it adjusted to fit me I'm happy with it. Carried out 1 quartered (bone-in) antelope, 2 quartered whitetails (bone in), and 1/3 of a boneless cow elk.

After seeing the very positive reviews of SeekOutside Backpacks, I'd probably build one similar to JR's though larger for my week long trips

Ive got a kuiu icon pro 1850 and love it for a elk daypack,,it carried out a 110 lb hind qtr last year,,it was heavy but the carbon fiber 10 oz frame handled it .pretty incredible for a sub 4 lb pack,,you can also get the 3200 bag and swap bag sizes as needed.

I like the Badlands 2800 for a day pack.

Technical Information: Badlands 2800 Backpack •Polyester construction
•25" x 14" x 8"
•2,875 cubic inches of cargo space
•Hydration system compatible (hydration system not included)
•Weighs 4 lbs 15 oz empty

It is able to pack out meat and packs a tripod / spotting scope in both pouches used to pinch the shoulders and (or) ham. It has a handgun holster integrated within the hip belt and rides extremely comfortable.

Attachments

• 112389.jpg
    112389.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 790
Last edited:
I have the KUIU Icon Pro as well. The 1850 bag is great for day trips, and I have the 7200 bag for multiday trips. The majority of the cost for the KUIU system is the carbon frame and suspension. The different bags for it are reasonably priced, so that is nice. It makes it easy to use the same pack system for just about any length trip.

I have the KUIU Icon Pro as well. The 1850 bag is great for day trips, and I have the 7200 bag for multiday trips. The majority of the cost for the KUIU system is the carbon frame and suspension. The different bags for it are reasonably priced, so that is nice. It makes it easy to use the same pack system for just about any length trip.

This ^^^

My daypack is my meat hauling pack. I'm too lazy to not be able to take a full load out on the first trip back. I use a Kifaru Longhunter. It cinches down plenty small for a dayhunt and can fit 2 elk quarters in it. Here it is packed for a day hunt.

Here it is with 1/2 of a boned out buck

Last edited:
That's why I am leaning towards the kuiu pack. I hear great things about the frame. Including kuiu's YouTube channel where they run the carbon frame over with a truck!

An Osprey Kestrel 38L + a Kifaru gun bearer is my daypack. Works well for me, but I wouldn't use it for any overnight trips and wouldn't load it up with much more than a boned out elk quarter for the first trip out. That Kuiu looks pretty badass.

Although I'm sure there's other good products out there, I've always been a fan of the mystery ranch backpacks. If I were to grab a pack that worked for 1-3 days, with the potential to stuff with 100lbs of meat, I'd look at the Metcalf with guide lite frame. I've been using it since last fall and it's really great, and notably lighter than the standard NICE frame.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back