Daughters First Hunt

krshunter

I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that this has been one of my proudest moments to date. The feeling inside knowing that your 12 year old daughter is interested in hunting and shooting and then experiencing the that first kill is indescribable. With that..............

She has been a typical girl and because of time with friends, movies with girls and boys, rec center, sports practices etc., we didn't get out till the next to last day of the season. I was simply happy to be afield with her and putting something down would only be icing on the cake. Immediately into the property we saw a few antelope, backed the truck up and put on the stock. They meandered over a rise and we followed hoping to get to the high point on our bellies and have a shot at them into the next draw. What we discovered over the hill was not what we expected. the 5 or 6 antelope we saw had joined another small group over the hill and the dominant buck was as big as I have seen in 6 years of hunting this area. I would have rough scored him in the 85 range. The land owner had let us know that there was a record book buck in the area ahead of time but we didn't have much time after school to stalk book bucks. But, there he was chasing does around.

I got her set up prone and we waited for the right shot. It came at just 201 yards broadside. She initially had trouble pulling the trigger and had a few tears in her eyes saying that she was scared. I think like the initial shot at the range she was fearful of the mild recoild of the .243 win. After several attempts she finally let copper fly at 200 yards. We have no idea where the bullet went. Disappointment but she was nervous having never put a scope on an animal before.

We moved up the road a litle further and she spotted a lone buck coming up out of a draw to our right and was ready to go after him. She was all about the stock and crawling on her stomach. A few cactus and 100 yards later and we were as close as I thought we would get to this buck. I ranged him and as positively as I could, gave her the disappointing news. 308 yards. He then turned and quartered toward us starting to feed. The gap closed some and he finally came to a full stop at 272 yards. Again not the distance I wanted but she needed to let another one fly to get the feel for things. I told her to give it a try and remember that the important this was we were out there together. I told her where to hold this time since we were past the rifles zero and with no hesitation she pulled the trigger.

I heard that familiar whack this time and new what had happened but the buck didn't not go down immediately. She was struck with frustration again not seeing him drop but I let her know that she had indeed made a good shot and it was just a matter of time. He very slowly took a few more steps while we edged a little further up the hill. He turned the opposite direction and his off side was crimson red confirming the hit. We were able to move under 200 yards and she put the fatal blow in him.

She's still not happy with herself for missing the big one and is having trouble comprehending how you can miss at 200 yards and hit at 272 yards. She'll figure it out. I'm extatic and couldn't be more proud of my little girl. Enjoy the photos. Also included my lope from the previous day and my opening day deer. Hunted alone and things worked out pretty well. Great to have meat hanging in the garage and good stories.

Attachments

• Kennedy Lope 2009-1.JPG
    Kennedy Lope 2009-1.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3772Web.JPG
    IMG_3772Web.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_3753Web.JPG
    IMG_3753Web.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 180
WTG Krshunter!!!!!! Congrats! The smile on her face says it all!!!!!!!!

No 102 deer tag for you this year? DAMNNNNN.......... Nice buck btw

Nice job. There's probably not a better big game animal to start kids out on than antelope.

Looks like your antelope has some mass.

Great story and congrats to the young lady. What a smile! I can say that I know how you feel to have a daughter to hunt with you and watch her take first big game animal. Nothing like it! For me it was somehow better than when my son done the same thing.
Thanks for taking her. Most girls will never have that opportunity.

Great days!

Those are some fine trophies and she looks to be a happy hunter.
Congrats on the time with family and the success.
Cherish these few moments.

krshunter...congrats to your daughter and you both. Great story...thanks for sharing.
Your story takes me back to the hunt when my daughter took her 1st WT at age 12...it was one of the greatest times we've both had.
At 1st we saw a huge 5x5...she was on it...it walked to within 50 yards broadside and looked at us. I had told her not to move if they look at you...and she didnt...not even enough to take the safety off and fire...lol! It trotted back into the timber safe for another day...its always been 'dads fault' she didnt shoot that big one and we still laugh about it to this day. on the second deer I let her call the shot and she got it. she's now 14 and grearing up for the youth WT hunt in a couple of weeks.
Keep taking her...and be patient working with her on her scheduling as those young girls have a lot of 'social' activities competing for their time. :)

Last edited:
I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that this has been one of my proudest moments to date. The feeling inside knowing that your 12 year old daughter is interested in hunting and shooting and then experiencing the that first kill is indescribable.

That is the gospel, at least in my book.

Congrats to all of you. Looking forward to more of these types of pics you and your daughter sharing time in the field. Thanks for the story. Great stuff!

Thanks for all the comments guys. She's been getting a lot of positive comments from friends and family. Everyone is so proud of her. She has the picture as the background on her cell phone. She's already starting to talk about adding deer to the list next year so it looks like I've got a new hunting partner. Thanks again and your positive comments have made her smile. Good luck to everyone this season.

Somehow missed this post.
Awesome write up and congrats to your daughter, she's off to an amazing start.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back