Daughters First Buck

SagebrushSlayer

My daughter Madison got her first buck last weekend. She and another friends son drew a good deer tag. Madison and 5 of us adults also had extra doe tags in hand.

The first day Madison missed a nice 4pt buck, but decided too fill her doe tag about 4 hours later. Unfortunately the deer decided to roll to the bottom of the canyon and took awhile to find. No pic of the nice young doe.

The second day we spotted 3 groups of deer at first light and decide to split the two young hunters up. Madison and I decided to circle one of the groups, getting to about 400 yards before the deer got spooked by something. Later found out my wife and friend said it was due to either the biggest coyote they’ve ever seen or a wolf. We ended up seeing the deer about 5 mins later drop into a draw about 800 yards away. We circled and headed towards the draw with the wind and sun in our face. First spotted a group of deer at 415 yards and decided to sit and glass the shaded hillside they were on. We spotted 3 bucks and about 40 does. It took over an hour but she scooted on her butt to cut the distance down to 250 yards for the shot. The buck was bedded, the closest buck to her, and was the biggest buck we could see. She made a good shot on the buck, but it got up and ran downhill about 40 yards. One more shot behind the shoulder and she watched as the buck started to roll down the hill. She was extremely excited about getting her first buck and happy it was a nice buck.

We ended up going 4/6 on the extra doe tags and got it done in a weekend. My friends son will hopefully get another chance to fill his tag in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• Madees First Buck.JPG
    Madees First Buck.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 506
  • Joes Doe.JPG
    Joes Doe.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 507
  • Joels Doe.JPG
    Joels Doe.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 500
  • Leahs Doe.JPG
    Leahs Doe.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 504
Heck of a first buck to wrap your hands around! Congrats to the young lady.

Congrats to you for getting her hooked. Great buck, great way to spend a weekend

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back