Dallas/Fort Worth eats?

If you're hankering for delicious fresh shellfish...downtown Dallas, cool little place smak dab in the middle of the bustle

Spendy steak, great wine list...also downtown Big D

Been to a Morton's up here in Chicago once. Nice food! Love seafood, I'll have to look that joint up and check out their menu. Thanks!

A couple people mentioned Babe's for fried chicken. i go to Babe's every chance i get when in Texas and always order the chicken fried steak. it is awesome.
We love that place but have to ration the visits...the volume of delicious homestyle vittles makes for a drowsy drive home and a crash diet. I've not had a single serving of anything that didn't rival my granny's cooking...

For the common folk, (Hard Eight BBQ), you won't be disappointed....
The original Stephenville location always outdoes the metroplex locations. Also Stephenville is a cool town and if you take the back roads the drive can be pretty fun.

I would also recommend Riskys, Railhead Smokehouse, Coopers. Then if you want something other than barbecue, the rodeo goat is a great place for burgers, Joe T Garcias for Mexican food, Bayou Jacks for Cajun food. And as someone else mentioned, you cannot go wrong with Babes.

The Texas twinkle @ Hutchins might be one of the top 5 things I've ever eaten. The rest of their meats are very good as well.

Pecan Lodge was good.

Cattleack in Farmers Branch was Really good.

We'll be out there in 2 weeks and we are planning on stopping at Dayne's,
Goldee's and Panther city in Ft. Worth as well as Hurtado's in Arlington.

If you want to take a little drive out by TCU, there is a great place called The Woodshed. They have a featured game meat every day and a lamb brisket that is out of this world.

After a little discussion (very little) we've decided I would take 2 weeks off of work so we can take our time and just wander around Texas and enjoy it more without being rushed to get back home. More than likely will do the Dallas/San Antonio/Houston triangle route. Lots of good menus so far! Any ideas for the new area as well as sightseeing things? Off the beaten path things? Not into breweries!!! May even be open to meet and greets.

After a little discussion (very little) we've decided I would take 2 weeks off of work so we can take our time and just wander around Texas and enjoy it more without being rushed to get back home. More than likely will do the Dallas/San Antonio/Houston triangle route. Lots of good menus so far! Any ideas for the new area as well as sightseeing things? Off the beaten path things? Not into breweries!!! May even be open to meet and greets.
IH35W (FTW) and IH35E (DAL) meet south of the metro mess at Hillsboro, Tx.

In Waco, TX (on IH35) you will find the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum. Within the complex is a gun collection that is absolutely awesome.
Austin, TX used to be a great place to visit, I'd pass it by.
Some of the best BBQ in Texas is east of IH35 starting with Louis Mueller's at Taylor, TX.
I'll leave you with those two. I'm sure others have interesting points also.

P.S. don't forget the Alamo at San Antonio! LOL! Small but amazing!

BTW! I forgot! Between Houston and Dallas (IH45) really nice gun store in Spring, TX, "Carter's Country".

Huntsville, TX
Sam Houston University has a gun collection.
"IF" you go, look for the "Kickapoo Rifle" donated by W.M. Goff. Very unique.

Just south of Corsicana, you'll find a "Collin Street Bakery". Bypass that one.
Take the US 287 exit, follow it east about 1/2 to 3/4 mile, you'll find the "Russell Stover" candy factory and "Store"
Like chocolate, pecans and caramel?
Buy a box of "Texas Millionaires". They were my mom's favorites!
Back track west on 287, under the over pass and locate the "Collin Street Bakery" down town Corsicana!
Their "Pecan Cake" is to die for! Cookies tou can only imagine!

Have fun!

Last edited:
In Waco, TX (on IH35) you will find the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum. Within the complex is a gun collection that is absolutely awesome.
We've been to the Buffalo Bill Center in Cody, Wyoming and went through the gun collection there. WOW! Sounds like this might be worth a visit as well. Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about this place. Waco has pretty much only been known as, well, you know, THAT place...

We've been to the Buffalo Bill Center in Cody, Wyoming and went through the gun collection there. WOW! Sounds like this might be worth a visit as well. Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about this place. Waco has pretty much only been known as, well, you know, THAT place...
Yeah, poor old Waco. Guess it will always live with that stigma.

The Czech stop in West is a good place for breakfast kolaches (don't call the ones with meat in them koloches you'll piss off the locals).

Stop by a Bucees, if you drive around Tx enough you'll pass one.

Drive out to the hill country, lots of rivers and cool swimming holes. Bring an ultralite rod, or better yet find a place like this that will rent you a tube and give you a ride back to your truck http://www.floatthefrio.com/float-trips.html

The beaches on the coast aren't your famous "crystal clear water" and white sand like Florida, but many of the beaches are undeveloped and natural which can be fun. Take some fishing poles and have fun surf fishing. I'd suggest Matagorda or Padre Island National Seashore.

Fredericksburg is a nice place to just relax and go be a tourist. Same with Llano, Marble Falls and most hill country towns.

The speed limit is 75 MPH on just about any piss ant two lane highway that isn't in a town so have fun with that, then help us who have left Texas lobby for the same thing in other states.

Oh this song is kind of stupid but listen to it, they literally name off quite a few fun things to do.

The Hill Country is nice...busy as hell but nice. If you're near Marble Falls & hungry, the Blue Bonnet Cafe is your huckleberry.

I really like the area. I recommend finding a good place to pick up some kolaches for breakfast, as someone else mentioned. Those things are great.

Got to get you some barbecue down there too. I can vouch for City Market in Luling, TX just east of SA.

Gonna be a good time of year to be there... I would keep my eyes peeled riding in the country in the evening, might spot an axis deer or who knows what other kind of weird critter roaming around.

Waco also has a big store run by Chip and Joanna Gaines IIRC, if your lady is a fan of theirs that could be a good stop to combine with the gun collection.

Waco also has a big store run by Chip and Joanna Gaines IIRC, if your lady is a fan of theirs that could be a good stop to combine with the gun collection.
Heard of them, that's about it. Barnwood builders, now we're talking!

That is a huge complex called "The Silos".
Talk about "shop 'til ya drop"! ....and you can drop a bundle there! LOL!

DaveN.
Two weeks to make "the triangle"?
We just set you up for a week and you ain't even left Waco! LOL!

BTW!
Like "antiques"?
Take Hwy 6 south out of Waco to Calvert, TX (Google 'calvert texas antiques').
Between The Silos and Calvert Antiques, IF you have any money left, continue south on Hwy 6 to Hearne, TX. Take HWY 79 South to Taylor TX to Louis Mueller's BBQ!
From there, it's about 20 miles on over to Round Rock, TX and you'll be back on IH35.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back