Dad's NV Antelope

dainer

Our 4th encounter with this guy will be the last!

Also, thanks to those of you who participated in this scoring thread.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=260191

Are there any official measurers out there?? I have a question about the d3. That mass measurement has me concerned they may bump it up to above the prong. Is there a definitive answer on this? Moving that mass measurement above the prong will cost 6 inches....

Nice buck! Looks like some amazing memories with your Dad!

Not an official scorer, but it seems pretty clear on the measurements.

This is from the 2nd page of the scorers sheet.

D‑2‑3‑4. Divide measurement C of longer horn by four. Starting at base, mark both horns at these quarters (even though the other horn is shorter) and measure circumferences at these marks. If the prong interferes with D‑2, move the measurement down to just below the swelling of the prong. If D‑3 falls in the swelling of the prong, move the measurement up to just above the prong.

Great buck! When you get time, some hands on measurements would be nice now that he bit the dust after we made our guesses! I think he's going to score a little better than we thought.

Npaden - thanks. I took the tape and as soon as the horn went from 6 4/8 to 6 5/8, decided that is the swelling. In which case, the 3rd measurement will definitely be above the prong.

Topgun - *Disclaimer* I am not an expert at running a tape, but I was only 1 1/8" off the gross on my wife's buck after 60 day drying period. I came up with-

15 4/8
6 4/8
6 4/8
2 4/8
5 2/8
40 2/8
Total 80 4/8

Last edited:
After seeing the good, clear picture of the buck with your Dad, I thought he might have a chance at hitting 80". It was just hard with the initial pictures and even the video to make a better guess than we did. He'll obviously dry to below 80", but I think you did a very good job of scoring him to come up with what you did. It takes very little in mass with the 4 different measurements on each horn to make a 3-4 inch difference in the total score and that's why antelope are considered one of the hardest animals to field judge.

Very nice. I really like the big black nose and cheek patch. It will be a gorgous mount.

Terrific buck! Even better kill shot picture! Your picture is one of the best I've ever seen with that sunset in the background. Thanks, for sharing with us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back