Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

dads buck

slamdmini

my dad grew up hunting a ton with my grandpa, and has killed more deer and big game up to this point in his life than i ever will due to everything being a lottery now. but living in so cal where the hunting isnt great, and having two boys who love motocross, (as does he), hunting kind of took a backseat to motocross. ive always loved hunting but have gotten much more serious about it in the last few years. last weekend my dad got his first buck in almost 20 years. we went up to southern utah for the general season, in a unit we are very familiar with. opening day we saw no bucks and only a handful of does. next day we went to the canyon where i got my last buck. its a very deep, steep canyon with no access except on foot, so very few people hunt it. about 20 mins after first light we began seeing does, and lots of them. about an hour later i spotted a buck about 600 yds away. we made a plan and began the stalk. about halfway through the stalk i spotted a bit bigger buck higher on the ridge. i motioned to my dad about the buck but he was not in a great spot to stalk so we continued on. when we got in position we couldnt spot the original buck, but the larger buck was in a better spot, but it would be an awkward shot with my dad facing downhill but the buck was across the canyon and uphill. i ranged him at 290yds, a very makeable shot for my dad. now we just needed him to turn broadside. when he finally turned broadside he squeezed a round off. the buck jumped and ran downhill, apparently unhurt. when he stopped, i said "hang on, let me get a range"...BOOM! followed by the unmistakable sound of the bullet finding its mark. "hes down" i said. "really? sweet were taking home some meat!" he said. after getting the deer taken care of we packed him out, which wasnt fun but well worth the effort. this was the first time my dad had taken a deer while i was hunting with him, and it was really cool to see and help out after all hes done to help me out.

walking up on his first buck in quite some time
DSCN0003.jpg

not a monster, but we'll take it
DSCN0005.jpg

I love remembering time with my dad in the great outdoors. Congratulations to your dad.

Congrats on the deer and the time you spent hunting with him! Our family was similar, my sons raced motocross and there wasn't enough hunting for several years. Now the boys are all married and after several concussions and some very serious racing accidents, some of the bikes have been sold and we now spend more time hunting and shooting. My wife's nerves handle their gun addiction much better than the racing.

Congrats on the deer and the time you spent hunting with him! Our family was similar, my sons raced motocross and there wasn't enough hunting for several years. Now the boys are all married and after several concussions and some very serious racing accidents, some of the bikes have been sold and we now spend more time hunting and shooting. My wife's nerves handle their gun addiction much better than the racing.

thanks guys. sounds pretty familiar fishing4sanity. we've all had our injurires, and we all still ride, but my dad finally sold the moto bike after breaking 6 ribs at the track last year. but he still trail rides. dont think ill be quitting either anytime soon. just wish i had some cheaper hobbies

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back