PEAX Equipment

Dads 2012 Wyoming Moose

BuzzH

Earlier this year my Dad drew a moose permit for Wyoming in a unit I've never hunted. He had 11 points and there was 1 tag drawn in the preference point pool he was in...I think about 12 people were in his point pool.

I spent 3 days looking around and found quite a number of bulls and cows. I also ran into some deer, elk, pronghorns, etc. Lots of game and despite the wolves eating all the moose in Wyoming I had no trouble finding them.

Opening morning we found a small bull right off and Dad was wanting to shoot it mainly because it was above the road and wouldnt require crossing a creek or swamp. I drove off before he could. We then found 2 bulls and a cow and passed both of them as well.

We went back to camp and came up with a plan for the evening. As we were driving to the spot we wanted to hunt, I happened to look over and saw something that didnt look right in a recent burn. I threw the glass on the spot and it was a bedded bull. Dad looked it over and there was no holding him off this one. He shot the bull with my late Grandfathers Winchester model 70 in 300 win. mag. One shot at 132 yards and the bull was down.

Dad was really happy with this bull...and Matt and I were happy as well since it was close to a road.

Some country:

DSCN9370.JPG

Dad with his moose:

DSCN9398.JPG

Just the moose:

DSCN9427.JPG

Dad, Matt and I...

DSCN9407.JPG

We had a great time and saw a ton of moose...couldnt really ask for much more from a moose hunt. Good times.

Cool write up mr h. Nice job on the Mtn maggot(inside joke from another time and place). Thanks for sharring. Let me know when you are going into business as a gunsmith. I want one like that one you built very badly.

Quite the year you're experiencing. Congrats to your dad & good job on the sons' assist.

That's a great looking bull, definitely be a hard one to pass.

Congrats on the hunt.

What an awesome family outing. Congrats to your dad and a special hunt for the three of you....now buy your dad some boots.;):D

Back