Current state of affairs on HT

This is the good stuff. I personally subscribe to the "your success is my success" theory. I'll never know it all, and someone will discover something new down the road, so being a life-long learner keeps things humble and fresh. I have two new guys going to WY with me on their first out of state hunt. I'm more excited for them to experience that than the tag in my own pocket. As much as hunting gets blamed for driving ego, it doesn't have to be that direction.
I love Wyoming hunts myself. Big difference between Colorado where I came from and Wyoming after I moved here. For one, as a resident and a meat hunter, I can get multiple tags where Colorado was pretty stingy on the numbers they gave out. I agree, if someone else succeeds because of help you gave them then you succeed.

I have more important things to do than worry about what someone else thinks of me online.

Water improvements are working out. Looks like one more day of critical fire danger here.Smoke has blown elsewhere & it has cooled down 10 deg. Rumors on the weather front say we could have start of monsoons by Thurs. We need it. Elk are fat & happy so far,but the grass will die back if it doesn't.
Latest pics of project.Water now filling 2 tanks ,streambed full after downpour last year,empty tank slowly filling & getting tilled by elk already,BH,middle tank full after a big one & greening up.

Attachments

• IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0084 (2).JPG
    IMG_0084 (2).JPG
    165 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0065 (2).JPG
    IMG_0065 (2).JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0161 (1).JPG
    IMG_0161 (1).JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0154 (1).JPG
    IMG_0154 (1).JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0012 (1).JPG
    IMG_0012 (1).JPG
    79 KB · Views: 40
Thank you very much LOL. Like I say, iffn you aint country, you aint chit! LOL

like Barbra, I was Country when country wasn't cool

Sytes, thank you
Dave (-;

The Eagles fit almost anywhere/everywhere. they even showed up on the thread "please delete my password"

MTlabrador. That works! In my younger days I would be thinking -"I need to dust off the 300 H & H and get it ready " For all you fellows under 40 that was a caliber some of us used BEFORE the Creedmoor (-:

Hilljackoutlaw. I also enjoy the music thread . Recently Oregonchris brought up a couple of subjects related to music that I had not thought about in years. Great memories

Last edited:
Although some here have very limited taste in music that is o.k. also (-;
Idk who invented the friday music thread, but that in itself is a reason to stay on the forum.
I also love the forum for the chance to help people out even if it's just bits of knowledge and the help you can receive. Some of us are not in a field that we can be on the frontlines of conservation and public land issues and if you can help out one newish hunter or one new to western hunting that one person could go on to help the cause because one good week in elk country can change a person's life and steer them to the front lines. A week in the frank, bitteroot, Bruneau-jarbridge, countless others, or just a no name ridge in the high country can have a serious affect on the human soul. Steering that soul into those places is a good thing this forum does.

Against my wishes at the time, my wife made me buy a camper last fall. A little 20 ft bunkhouse. I'm glad she did. We have spent 5 of the last 6 weekends in it.

The kids have had a lot of fun too - from pulling dozens of Utah Chub out of Hebgen Lake in a morning, to eating junk food around the campfire next to a blown out Wise River.

1593537877762.png1593537912817.png

like Barbra, I was Country when country wasn't cool

Sytes, thank you
Dave (-;

The Eagles fit almost anywhere/everywhere. they even showed up on the thread "please delete my password"

MTlabrador. That works! In my younger days I would be thinking -"I need to dust off the 300 H & H and get it ready " For all you fellows under 40 that was a caliber some of us used BEFORE the Creedmoor (-:

Hilljackoutlaw. I also enjoy the music thread . Recently Oregonchris brought up a couple of subjects related to music that I had not thought about in years. Great memories
LOL, I was country back in the 70s when all my friends were rock freaks. Even wore cowboy hat, boots and bell bottoms. Wish I can find pictures of that.

E47E2F10-9634-4D8A-B14F-0D4A50ECE235.jpeg

[/QUOTE
So is that thing hanging from the rafters part of you and your wife "parking" in the garage JLS? 😂

All I know is im going to make sure to take lots of pictures and enjoy my time this september/October and share the adventures after its all over.

Every summer hunting forums go through the pains for too much time on people's hands and not enough outdoor activity as folks get antsy for their hunts. This year is even more amplified due to COVID, racial tensions, and election year, and who knows what else might pop up.

If possible, I would close this forum from January through March, reopen for spring turkey and spring bear then close again for the summer, reopening when hunting season came along.

Forums, much like Facebook, are not for everyone. Some enjoy the differing opinions. Some get pissed at what they read. Some have the world all figured out and are here to change everyone else's mind. Some like to read the differing perspectives and try to understand the life experiences that created that perspective. Some like to stir the pot, no matter the topic. Some like to do their best to make everyone feel welcome.

My job is to try keep it on the rails during these cranky times so that when hunting season comes we can all sit around the campfire and congratulate each other on an effort well given and swap big stories. In the interim, try to make the conversation useful, albeit sometime painful or uncomfortable. All the while trying to keep it focused on hunting, conservation, public lands, access, and the policy issues that impact those topics. Not an easy task. Sometimes I mess up. Sometimes I completely screw it up. Mostly, I try to keep Hunt Talk from being as politicized and divided as is the rest of our world.

Good news is that no matter the outcome, nobody here dies as a result of what happens on Hunt Talk. We live in the greatest country in the world, in spite of our scars, warts, and defects. The community here is a great group of people, 99% of which would get along well around a campfire. Lots of help is offered on the threads, via PMs, and often in the hills.

None of us take ourselves too seriously. Those that do usually find a new place to hang out. We are in a time and place that makes it harder to have civil communication in person, so online is every more ripe for friction. Hopefully that too will pass.

Until then, there is air to keep clean, water to protect, lands to conserve, and access to be acquired. Collectively, the crew here does a hell of a job doing those things and making a lot of memorable adventures in their travels.
Thanks again BIG FIN !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back