Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Current state of affairs on HT

Irrelevant

William Pendley loves public land + Mr. Arizona (doubt if he finds time way from politics to kill any elk) > First-time-long-time...so my Dad/Son/FIL/BIL/Wife/Best Friend... drew x tag! Where should we go?

Not sure which one is more frustrating.

Last edited:
Pretty weird. And Onpoint just tendered his resignation, of sorts. This whole year has been pretty surreal, and for myself, all of the uncertainty and pain in the world right now has brought out insecurities and behaviors I thought I was long past. I hope for myself, HuntTalk, and the whole damn country, it’s just growing pains. I value the hell out of this community, and hope the majority of us can/continue to be stewards and advocates for hunting, public land, and wild places and wild things.

Well my Dad/Son/FIL/BIL/Wife/Best Friend drew x tag and will not share any information with you regarding their hunt. I for one am happy to share what and where I know about a location as so many here have done for others. Given that things change year to year, season to season and draw tags are draw tags, I am not worried that "My area" will be overrun with persons from this forum.
I watched Randy hunt the North Rim of the Grand Canyon last night on YouTube. In that episode he spoke with a Fish and Game guy who spoke about management of the deer herd in that area. The officer commented that the data they gather allows them to effectively manage the herd in that location and adjust tag allocations year to year. The target for their management was to ensure that the area was not over hunted but still maintained a decent buck/doe ratio. While some departments in the U.S. are able to manage effectively, we all know other departments who can't (California comes to mind). My point is, if you are an active member on this forum or you joined yesterday, we are here for one purpose and that is to celebrate our love of the outdoors and the dispersion of knowledge that helps others. That knowledge is the same knowledge that is passed around campfires and high mountain camps from Grandpa's, Uncle's, BIL,FIL,Cousins and that guy I met on Hunt Talk.

Every summer hunting forums go through the pains for too much time on people's hands and not enough outdoor activity as folks get antsy for their hunts. This year is even more amplified due to COVID, racial tensions, and election year, and who knows what else might pop up.

If possible, I would close this forum from January through March, reopen for spring turkey and spring bear then close again for the summer, reopening when hunting season came along.

Forums, much like Facebook, are not for everyone. Some enjoy the differing opinions. Some get pissed at what they read. Some have the world all figured out and are here to change everyone else's mind. Some like to read the differing perspectives and try to understand the life experiences that created that perspective. Some like to stir the pot, no matter the topic. Some like to do their best to make everyone feel welcome.

My job is to try keep it on the rails during these cranky times so that when hunting season comes we can all sit around the campfire and congratulate each other on an effort well given and swap big stories. In the interim, try to make the conversation useful, albeit sometime painful or uncomfortable. All the while trying to keep it focused on hunting, conservation, public lands, access, and the policy issues that impact those topics. Not an easy task. Sometimes I mess up. Sometimes I completely screw it up. Mostly, I try to keep Hunt Talk from being as politicized and divided as is the rest of our world.

Good news is that no matter the outcome, nobody here dies as a result of what happens on Hunt Talk. We live in the greatest country in the world, in spite of our scars, warts, and defects. The community here is a great group of people, 99% of which would get along well around a campfire. Lots of help is offered on the threads, via PMs, and often in the hills.

None of us take ourselves too seriously. Those that do usually find a new place to hang out. We are in a time and place that makes it harder to have civil communication in person, so online is every more ripe for friction. Hopefully that too will pass.

Until then, there is air to keep clean, water to protect, lands to conserve, and access to be acquired. Collectively, the crew here does a hell of a job doing those things and making a lot of memorable adventures in their travels.

Last edited:
I try to help anyone I can. But I completely agree we seem to be seeing a bunch more of the “long time listener, first time caller” posts asking for VERY specific information. It’s as if the whole world was like: well, can’t do anything indoors, may as well apply for a Wyoming doe antelope tag.

OK,I've been slammed this year by new & oldies who drew my unit which is suddenly eastmans fav & wipping post.
Told them which maps ,onx to get. Told them water is key of which there is not much here ,along with few places to camp legally.
Some asked about prominent obvious good looking spots and I told them about them & how many ranches surround those.....closed to public. & a few who bothered to look saw the way in, if any.
Even gave some info for ones looking for LO tags to bring dad or a bud,where to get supplies,etc. @ the only place that has them.
Now I'm more than happy to help out folks who do not just goggle my unit & find me cause of other posts in the intercloud. But I'm just an old fart,unsavy of pc onlinenss. I watch BF splain how to DIY with the state of the art for onlineness goodies that I have no idea of how it works or use them. But I get the jist.
I hope some get the jist. I hope some actually reply again. I hope they have a good hunt and thank me, maybe.
....but I'm not holding my breath,I'm too old. LOL What do I know.
Not one has called back. I guess I was just too matter of fact or not bleeding honeyholes for them.

Yeah, it’s been kind of contentious lately. The “baby” thing was a new low on this forum for me personally I guess. Seems like new members of a certain type are determined to lower the bar for rock bottom every few months. Luckily most of them don’t last long - if that behavior was widespread here I wouldn’t be here. But draw season always brings people looking for tips. Nothing new, and easy enough to ignore if you’re not inclined to help. No judgement from me...I don’t readily part with spots earned through blood, sweat and tears either. I just prefer to help people who are looking for more than just “where”.

Luckily field season keeps me occupied so I have less time to waste on forums during the “off” season anyway.

Old fart update.
To finish out,I offered an ES or MB LO RO tag for extremely small sum or help on a project a few hours when they would be here.One guy had been offered a UW tag for $5700.
Offered same to my bro who was panting for tags.
Never heard back in 2 weeks.

Just gave the 2 tags to 2 local kids. Good kids who work & are responsable. 10 & 16. They will be so surprized.
Being polite & repyling politely pays off.

Old fart update.
To finish out,I offered an ES or MB LO RO tag for extremely small sum or help on a project a few hours when they would be here.One guy had been offered a UW tag for $5700.
Offered same to my bro who was panting for tags.
Never heard back in 2 weeks.

Just gave the 2 tags to 2 local kids. Good kids who work & are responsable. 10 & 16. They will be so surprized.
Being polite & repyling politely pays off.
That's great hopefully you can post up some pics of there success. Good on you!

good boys.jpg Good ol boys. 2 real good ones.
Bios.
Lil Jack is on the right. This pic was at a cowboy poet competition & he was youngest. His mom told me he was going to be the hunter in the family.Serious. The bow hunter. Lil Jake has been mending fences with Cowboy Jack this summer.
Next to him is older brother Noah. Champion track star,actor in school plays,hard worker. All around squared away young man @16.Just started driving. He was washing dishes & busing tables when he was his bros age,Working now at local feed store. He'll find out about tag when he gets home from house sitting for another rancher.
Dad is on the left. Proud one and for a good reason. Deputy here,rancher. Friend.
The Ol Cowpoke,his term,is Cowboy Jack. Another good neighbor & recipient of my elk hearts & liver. He eats BEEF. Foreman & sole permanent hand on a large local ranch. Amazing cow poke,animal lover. Brother in life, Served in the Marines in the Nam.
Mom works at the school and the family place. She is involved with every community event we have in our county. Always volunteering ,helping the community. The whole family does.

The reason I bring this up is things Randy says.I sometimes pay attention. With all the BS flying around like a virus,we have to stay focused on the reason we are here. Help. Inform. Learn.
In these trying times even I am heartened that families and Civic Minded Citizens like these still exist. Citizens. Lover of our Public Lands.
Serving .
Hunters.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back