Current state of affairs on HT

I don't think hunting ever stops. I start planning for the next year as soon as the current year hunting ends. I don't have financial resources that some have in here so I have to budget through the year and set aside money to hunt. I also think different from many hunters in here in that I am a meat hunter so my way of thinking is far different to what a trophy hunter would express. This year there will be photography to prove some of what I posted on here that a few quite rudely dismissed. However, I will not focus on the jerks but instead on the vast majority who do want the same thing I do in public land, conservation and related resources. I did consider leaving the forum because too many sit in the background and chime in only when they want to cause an issue with something. But I really can't control what others do so I really do not care what they say or think. Those kind of people I generally just avoid and have nothing to do with them. I will just proceed with my own hunting my way and this time get images of it.

I have learned a quite a bit from those who really contributed here. Those who I corresponded with privately, know who they are and I appreciate them very much. I also gained a bit of gear at budget prices a few times. I spend the off-season much like professional football players, always preparing for the next season. I also had someone correct me (yeah there is a tactful way to do that) and lead me to some hunting areas when I was not aware I could hunt muley does close to where I live. I had been so used to whitetails or antlered muleys that I never really read the season list that close. You know who you are, thanks dude. I have been hunting deer and antelope since I was 16 so I do know deer and antelope. I am a novice when it comes to elk and probably novice when it comes to bear and lion. I hope to someday hunt with a few in here though to gain more knowledge than I already have because no one is truly an expert until they have acquired all the knowledge there is. I have yet to do that. Even at my age, I want to learn new ways of thinking when it comes to hunting, public land and the rest of it.

I know it is frustrating for Randy because I used to moderate and admin another forum dealing with fishing and one with gaming. The temptation was always to shut the forum down when it went off the rail. I for one hope that never has to happen but I certainly can see why it would.

This is me right now frantically scouting every weekend. Priorities.

It never stops.

What I tell the wife LOL. I do e-scouting and watch a ton of videos for new ideas even though much of what I find might change come hunting season. Wife hasta be quiet so to speak LOL. That is my vice and my quiet time.

I’m not disgusted with HT like I am other forms of social media. I’ve been giving a lot of thought lately to quitting Facebook. The only reason I’m on there is to share pictures with family and friends back home. I get so tired of all of the political BS. I mean seriously, who have ever been swayed by someone’s bitching on Facebook?!?!

I guess I missed a few things. When the discussion goes sideways, it becomes a topic I'm no longer interested in. After a career among the experts of the world (university faculty) that have more ego than useable knowledge I rarely find myself arguing with fools. There is no prize available. I find enough gems in the discussion to keep me looking on. Finn- you are a patient man. Bless you!

Yeah, it’s been kind of contentious lately. The “baby” thing was a new low on this forum for me personally I guess.

Plus one. I also flinched when that happened to you . And it doesn't just happen on this forum. I have been hunting since I was ten and thanks to my father and grandfather I have hunted a nice list of different game animals. But a man who has hunted once or twice in his life will look for a way to minimize my knowledge because I am female and young. It has happened here as well as in the field.

However: it should also be noted that several men here have been very kind and I thank them.

In my personal opinion hunting knowledge and experience is not determined by gender, race, religion, politics, or even age.,

I am sorry that happened to you Hunting Wife

I am sorry that happened to you Hunting Wife

Meh. Barely a blip in the grand scheme of things. I’m actually not sorry it happened. I’ve been on here for a few years now, been in a few heated discussions (certainly more heated than that one was), and exactly 1 person has pulled that. Reminds me of how much I appreciate this site because the vast majority of people here aren’t assholes. Or they are my kind of assholes...not sure which is more accurate 😁

Meh. Barely a blip in the grand scheme of things. I’m actually not sorry it happened. I’ve been on here for a few years now, been in a few heated discussions (certainly more heated than that one was), and exactly 1 person has pulled that. Reminds me of how much I appreciate this site because the vast majority of people here aren’t assholes. Or they are my kind of assholes...not sure which is more accurate 😁
Fair enough, sorry I mentioned it. Best to all

It's entirely up to you to decide if someone you happen to cross paths with on the internet is going to eat your lunch or not with what they have to say.

Lots of help is offered on the threads, via PMs, and often in the hills.
This is the good stuff. I personally subscribe to the "your success is my success" theory. I'll never know it all, and someone will discover something new down the road, so being a life-long learner keeps things humble and fresh. I have two new guys going to WY with me on their first out of state hunt. I'm more excited for them to experience that than the tag in my own pocket. As much as hunting gets blamed for driving ego, it doesn't have to be that direction.

I’m on this every day, I guess I miss a lot. There is the normal influx of one timers and incoherent babblers. I have been trying to do a good job of keeping things positive. The forum has been extremely generous helping coordinate the Vet elk hunt this fall. It is shaping up to be good event and hopefully will be successful as the bear hunt.

Getting to see the goodness in folks. @hank4elk doing something special with his ranch and tags. @pointingdogsrule taking a kid turkey hunting and making a kid smile so big it warms the soul. These are just a few examples of many that happen here.

So even in the midst of a world gone crazy and cranky Internet posters, there is still reasons I am thankful that my password works.

# hunting for the good stuff

Life is Waaaaay to short to let a negative comment on an internet forum have any effect on your life. If I did, some would have successfully run me off already.

However, that does not mean that those, negative comments dont sometimes sting a bit whether it is directed at me or someone else.

I am a huge believer in "paying it forward" and always have been. Whether it is a something of material value or just information and I feel this forum succeeds in doing that by answering questions about hunting, shooting, firearms, public lands, fishing, etc etc etc. Look how many threads are on the forum NOT in the Fireside section. Good threads, good information, informative information, helpful information.

Although some here have very limited taste in music that is o.k. also (-;

I actually logged to to congratulate those in the great state of Montana for their court victory today in regard to School choice-----of course not all in Montana are for school choice so it would be considered a defeat for some.

enjoy your day--

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back