Cub scouts... your kids in or did it?

schmalts

My boy is a tiger cub this year (1st grade). he isn't into sports much so i figured this would be good for while. What is your guys opinion of the ORG?
I did it when i was a kid for a couple years only, don't remember why I didn't stay in it, i think my parents just got sick of it more than i did since i was the 3rd boy.

Scouts are always a good way for kids to spend their time...

The morals are good and there are definite goals to look forward to...

Kids that make it all the way to Eagle Scout end up with pretty decent benefits from society later on... :)

Besides, generally, it gets the little bugers out of the house and into the outdoors... :D

Scouts is pretty good but it all depends on your leaders.Some are really active and some do some pretty lame things.I didn't have time to do it so my son had to put up with whatever the group did.We had some good times together but he mostly did it on his own.He worked hard early and earned his Eagle and then let it go by the way side.

I heard about the eagle scout benefits... what are they, scholarships, better college entry???

Scouts can be great if the parents participate and the leaders try to help the kids and don't get too involved in themselves. Choose a group that does a lot of different things, go different places and don't just sit around doing craft things.

My son started as a cub scout and finished earning his Eagle rank and double palms. I helped his group as much as I could serving as a Webelos leader in Cub Scouts and then as an Assistant Scoutmaster and Scoutmaster in the Boy Scouts after that I served as a Venture crew leader. I also served as a merit badge counselor for shooting sports and other outdoor activity merit badges.

One of the questions that I always ask Eagle candidates (about 35 to date) is if they would have their sons in scouts. All of the them have said that would be a priority, if their son wanted to join. They all have said they would never have had the opportunity to do the things they did if it wasn't for scouts.

As for the Eagle benefits... I have heard of Eagle scouts getting immediate rank advancements in the military, the Eagle rank has helped my son get a couple of jobs that he has had and there are scholarship programs for Eagle scouts but the list doesn't end there.

excellent potential. Sometimes it fALLs short as it did for me as a child. I spent 4 years as scoutmaster and more as assistant and we taught a lot of boys some valuable skills

The morals are good and there are definite goals to look forward to...

Kids that make it all the way to Eagle Scout end up with pretty decent benefits from society later on...

Great, more of the downfall of American Society where parents look to outside organizations to instill morals in their children. People like The Cheese who rely on outsiders to provide them a moral compass will never succeed in life. Is that really what you want your kid to become, another Cheese?

And to think a kid should join Scouts to obtain a sense of entitlement and a feeling of obligation on society to provide the kid benefits is a horrible way to raise a kid. I, for one, am glad people like The Cheese don't reproduce.

I know that Eagle scouts start out a little higher in Rank when they join the Military, The Air Force at least starts Eagle Scouts out as an E-2.

I was not a Cub Scout, as my Mom was a Den Mother for my older brother and was not into doing it again for me. The only way I could get in was if she was to start a new Den...so I was SOL. However, she did become a Den Mother for my younger brother three years later... (no comments, please, as my Mom just passed away Nov 1st.)

I did get into Boy Scouts, though, and did well. Attaining the Eagle rank is achieving or completing a goal - the same type of thing as completing college, though not exactly equal in prestige.

There is certainly nothing wrong with having your child participate in activities or organizations that reinforce your own morals - that is just common sense.

My son was in scouts for 3 years.

3/4 of the kids were a bunch of uncontoable kids. The leaders kids were the worst. Running across tables and the parents do not do a thing. I even made the little kid cry by yelling at him. I stopped taking my kid.

He is in 4-H now.
One of his projects is Shooting Sports. Air Rifle target shooting. and Trap shooting.

All the ids are very respectful. and one person at a time speaks in an orderly fasion.

The leaders make or break just about any organization, don't they? I've heard the same megative comments about parents being the major negative factor in kids' sports.

Cali, Thanks for the heads up for I usually eat enought "feet" in the wek as it is.... sorry to hear about the loss.

The leaders make or break just about any organization, don't they?

Nothing more truer I think. I have been coaching Soccer for jsutthat reason. My oldest kids 2nd soccer coach was nothing less then an A-hole. Just made the kids run and yelled at them till they cried. Was awefull. The next year (or actually 2nd part of the season). I took over and took what kids were left and had a great time. I didn't know what we were doing but it was all about having fun !!!

Anyways, be involved yourself and have fun. Cubscouts, Boys club, Chess team, Whatever !!! It's all good if the kids enjoy themselves.

One of my best friends quit scout leading after 25+ year...the parents finally wore him out.

I myself had a short stint as a cub scout......seems the Den Mother didnt like her son punching my fist with his face and told me I was out.
and just for the record he had hit me first. Scouts honor.

Oldest boy finished up Webalos last year and decided not to go into Boy Scouts as he had too many other things on this plate. Youngest is in his first year of Webalos.

You are right, the leaders can make or break the program but one of my pet peeves (seeing as I am one of those leaders) is the number of parents who are unwilling to participate. What is happening with our group (40+ boys) is that a certain few are taking on multiple responsibilities/positions because too many others simply use the program as a daycare. EVERY one of the leaders are volunteers who are trying to make the experience a good one for the boys who also have many other things biding for their time. Just like we all do. If more parents would be willing to lend a hand things would go so much easier. Lots of people doing a small part make it a whole lot easier then one or two having to do everything.

My thought is that instead of bitching and complaining about something, step up and help out or shut up!

I did scouts from cub scouts on and made my eagle. I think a lot of the fun had to do with my dad getting so involved. We were a very "outdoorsy" scout troop and went camping at least every other month. I still use many of the skills I learned in scouting while out hunting/camping/fishing.

I'm an Eagle Scout too, and before that deters you from having your kids in Scouting, I'll inform you that none of my bad habits were formed in Scouting. :)

I had a great troop growing up with leaders who I'm sure spent the bulk of their vacation time each year hauling us to Scout camp or on big summer trips. It is the leadership that makes or breaks the troop. Some of my best memories through the age of 15/16 are of the 50 mile hikes, the river rafting and the campouts. Helped me gain an appreciation for the outdoors. (Dad doesn't hunt so Scouting is what garnered my love and respect for the mountains.)

There are benefits to being an Eagle Scout; I have a U.S. flag that was flown over the capitol and a letter signed by Bill Clinton; got a little Eagle Scout card that I kept in my wallet but when I showed it to the officer along with my driver's license it didn't get me out of my first speeding ticket. I guess it could have helped me in the military, but I wasn't about to join. Really, the tangible benefits aren't great and they're not what you join scouting for.

The biggest benefits aren't tangible. The merit badges and rank advancements aren't always easy, they take work and goal setting. Learning to set and achieve goals were great lessons to learn as a kid. Plus, once you turn 14 or so, sports and girls are much cooler than Scouts, and it's tough to stick it out and finish what you started. I don't regret any time spent as a scout. It wouldn't have happened if my dad hadn't helped me along and took his own time to go on some of the trips and hikes as well.

Anyway, it's a great program that I enjoyed, I think it helps youth, in conjunction with good parenting, to develop skills that will help them as they grow older and more independent.

I help out right now with a Varsity Scout Team (kids 14+) and enjoy it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back