Crowbar or other tool to pull large spikes

Kneetopia

Last season I put up my wall tent in warmish conditions, only to have it turn to -20F the next day. The 8" and 12" spikes (large nails) flash froze into the ground. Three days later when I went to pull them, it was like pulling the sword from the stone. I just had my regular hammer which did not have a wide claw to "get around" the body/head of the nail.

Anyone have any particular tool that has a wider claw than the typical hammer or crow bar? I don't want to go through that again, I almost busted a nut on each spike, damn. There were thoughts of cutting grommets, baddddd.

I also will probably not pound them flush next time if there is the chance of it freezing! :(

Thanks!

Sword2.jpg

Last edited:
I've had it happen and it sucks. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but I've driven mine in about a 1/2 inch deeper, breaking the bond/ice that currently holds them in so tight. Then, I can pull them back out easier. Maybe it won't work in all situations, but it has worked pretty good for me.

I didn't know you were old school. Pretty much the only way we have done it since we started out with dad.

I've had it happen and it sucks. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but I've driven mine in about a 1/2 inch deeper, breaking the bond/ice that currently holds them in so tight. Then, I can pull them back out easier. Maybe it won't work in all situations, but it has worked pretty good for me.

Leave enough up to get a little mini pipe wrench on the head. Gives you good leverage to get it to spin and break the bond. Old concrete man trick.

Do you have an old mattock? Drill a hole through the adze end that just barely clears the head of your spikes/nails and use it as a lever. May require a 2x4 underneath to pivot off of.

I use a thing called a wonderbar - flat prybar used for prying and pulling nails. About $12.

Too bad it wasn't until the last couple spikes that I figured this little trick out. Maybe that is the only solution I need.

Keep'er simple I guess.

Switch to lag bolts and use a cordless impact to install/remove. Holds better and easier to remove.

Heat

I have used a portable propane torch to soften up the ground. Or a weed burner end you can attach to your propane. Maybe? Just a thought.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back