Crossbows

I would agree to crossbows in archery season IF...you had to draw and @#)(# the bow right before you were ready to shoot like a compound, and there were no scopes or red dot sights. I feel that crossbows are an unfair advantage and shouldn't be used in a general archery season. You can use them during rifle season, so why the need to use them in archery too? You can get your happy little fix of crossbow hunting still. I do agree with crossbows for elderly, disabled, and children that can't draw a minimum poundage for a compound. But, crossbows don't belong in a general archery seasoon.

I think if someone is using a crossbow during rifle season . . .they need help. During rifle season would be zero advantage for sure. Cushman, what if Matthews came out with a crossbow? :)

So apparently you feel it is adventagous over other weapons?:D

I actually prefer my bow, but, yes I believe they are an advantage. . .a little . . over a regular bow. The reason I believe that is because of less movement at the moment of truth. . . .as for anything else, I'd say they aren't that big of an advantage for me at least.

So Toad, if you were satisfied with a compound why did you start using a crossbow?

What is it that you like about the crossbow better?

I still use both, I like the compound in open areas with the longer ranges, the crossbow in the antelope blind cause of the draw room issues. There are advantages to the crossbow, but not as many as you think. I just think that demonizing them is unwarranted. I do like the fact that the crossbow is held in a semi-comfortable rifle position, but it is almost too heavy to use without a shooting stick which makes it a little awkward. What is amazing is that here in Wyoming you think 1000's of hunters would be running around with crossbows, but I think the compounds are used 80/20 from what I have seen myself.
And despite what everyone thinks, carrying them cocked and hot is VERY dangerous and is highly discouraged, so if carried correctly and safely you still have to go through game scaring motions to fire the weapon by placing your bolt in place before shooting.

Toad

I hunt with Any Legal Weapon.
There are bowhunters that hate boomsticks, and some traditional bowhunters hate compound bows, and some traditional hunters that will only shoot homemade bows and arrows.

Maybe a more logical place for crossbows would be during a muzzleloader season.

Which is where they are legal and welcomed in Montana, during the muzzleloader season which is the general 5 week season. Crossbows can be used right along side high powered rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders and compound bows shooting arrows with lighted nocks.

Which is where they are legal and welcomed in Montana, during the muzzleloader season which is the general 5 week season. Crossbows can be used right along side high powered rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders and compound bows shooting arrows with lighted nocks.

Now that is a perfect summary!!

Sorry, I forgot to add handguns to that list of weapons that can be used to hunt in Montana for 5 straight weeks including the deer rut.

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to add handguns to that list of weapons that can be used to hunt in Montana for 5 straight weeks including the deer rut.

Sounds good, just have one season for all weapons that way nobody gets special treatment. Propably should do away with archery as well since the new fast cammed compound bows with drop away rests and carbon arrows with mechanical broadheads are a big advantage over what the indians used to shoot especially with the letoff that allows you to hold the bow back for so long. Definetly an unfair advantage with the new equipment versus the old longbows and recurves.

What about spears for the spear chunkers out there? Are those still legal in MT. .

You should have followed the insanity during the session when the six or so Montana atlatl hunters wanted a couple weeks out of the archery only season to be set aside only for atlatls. And last session, the Governor quipped about the "spear chuckers" wanting their weapon recognized as a big game weapon.

Sounds good, just have one season for all weapons that way nobody gets special treatment. Propably should do away with archery as well since the new fast cammed compound bows with drop away rests and carbon arrows with mechanical broadheads are a big advantage over what the indians used to shoot especially with the letoff that allows you to hold the bow back for so long. Definetly an unfair advantage with the new equipment versus the old longbows and recurves.

What about spears for the spear chunkers out there? Are those still legal in MT. .

+1000

What if the trad guys lobbied for the new speed bows ( which realistically have more range than the newest crossbows) to be outlawed in an archery only areas? People would be pissin their pants in outrage. What happens when the new tech puts out constant compound speeds over 400, then what? What about all the new rifle tech with high B.C. bullets,scopes, etc to kill sh*t easily at 800 yrds? That's better than a crossbow now?

Greenhorn and his crossbow...

0.jpg

All of you are mad about crossbows but what about muzzleloaders there's not a lot of difference between them and a rifle nobody has a problem with them I saw forget early muzzleloader season and extend regular firearms as far as the bows go where crossbows are legal everyone has the same opportunity to buy them so don't complain because your using a compound bow when you have the same opportunity to use a crossbow

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back