Crossbows

ohhh my....did you not just see the lighted nock thread? just think what this is going to start

I just bought a crossbow for my daughter to use in Hawaii in an archery area that allows crossbows. She's never bowhunted before so I thought this would be a good introduction for her to get the feel of sneeking in close to get the shot. But, today she just informed me that she won't be able to make the trip.
Well, since I bought it I think I'll try it. I'll take my Matthews Drenalin too. I like hunting with all types of weapons; rifles, muzzleloaders, handguns, compounds. I have a recurve but I haven't killed anything with it yet.

I'm also looking into crossbows, for my dad. Since his accident he can't draw a bow, but should be able to hunt the archery spring turkey season in kansas with one. Will be interesting to say the least.

Becasue this is a Montana based forum and since crossbows are illegal to use during archery season in Montana many on this forum act as if they should not be allowed anywhere becasue Montanans know whats best. Then they will tell you the tags and seasons will be cut if crossbows are allowed.

Same as the lighted knocks argument.

To me it makes little difference on either, different strokes for different folks. If that's how you choose to hunt with an arrow who am I to say you are wrong with my bowtech compound bow with expandable broadheads with carbon arrows and a laser rangefinder in my pocket, hardly traditional equipment. Now if you shoot a matthews that's a different story.

Although Montana based, I think this forum is for all OYOA hunters, regardless of locale. Personally I really appreciate and respect the input of hunters from outside Montana.

Even with the seemingly hard-nosed position on lighted nocks and crossbows during the hard-gained, ferociously-defended Montana separate archery season, still lighted nocks and crossbows are perfectly legal during the general hunting season, in the early backcountry hunting areas, and in Weapons Restriction Areas.
So that equipment has great opportunity for use other than during the Archery Only Season or in Archery Only hunting areas.

wyoming556, not having any experience with matthews equipment ... I sense there is an interesting "different story" about matthews in your colorful experiences.

No experience with Matthews, just giving Cushman and the others who shoot matthews a hard time, same as they do to the guys who shoot bowtech.

Becasue this is a Montana based forum and since crossbows are illegal to use during archery season in Montana many on this forum act as if they should not be allowed anywhere becasue Montanans know whats best. Then they will tell you the tags and seasons will be cut if crossbows are allowed.

How dare you blaspheme the essence of Copernican heliocentric cosmology.;)

I'm a die hard bowhunter myself, but, I bought a crossbow last summer because they made them legal to hunt with . . .they are pretty impressive for sure! They are loud, but, @ 350fps at 20 yds it won't matter. In Indiana this year they were legal to hunt with during the whole bow season which ran from Oct 1st till Jan 6th. I'm hearing talk of opening the bow season in Sept this fall for bows only and then croosbows open on Oct 1st. I guess we will see. I think its a good to have a crossbow season if it lets the guys who are older or injured get more time on the stand. My 7 yr old daughter is deadly with it @ 20yds if she has a rest. Its a personal choice for sure. . .if they make it legal to hunt with a spear next fall. . .I'll be out there with one just to say I've done it.

My problem with not with crossbows. It's with the guys who never archery hunted, buying them and hunting with them like they are a rifle.

We are having this discussion right now in Kansas pushed mainly by some of the crossbow mfg's.Maybe if it were a ground swell from hunters I would feel differently. I don't hate them and may someday warm up to them but I do not particularly want them to coincide with our regular archery season. So then but then where do we put it? Our muzzle loader season already sucks for timing but where do you fit all the pieces?

I suspect it will end up being thrown in with the regular archery season.

My problem with not with crossbows. It's with the guys who never archery hunted, buying them and hunting with them like they are a rifle.

and they do!!! I hear them all the time talking about shooting 80-100 yds with them. Idiots. I work at our local Big R store part time in sporting goods and boy do I hear it all!!! I just shake my head and go on. . . .

They should be called an arrowgun, not crossbow. More accurate description I think.

In Montana we have a 5 week long General season. If you want to use a shoulder held weapon, that you don't have to draw and hold, then you have the opportunity to do so in that season. If your handicapped, and I mean really handicapped, then I suppose a crossbow in the archery season is OK.

They should be called an arrowgun, not crossbow. More accurate description I think.

I have an uncle that experimented with arrows stuck in a .410 shotgun shell. It flew terrible and came out like a bat outta hell. But, with a little work it could of flew accurate. What would have been the difference between that and the modern crossbows?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back