Crossbows

I'm not against them at least I don't think...what do the numbers show in the states that are legal to use? has the harvest stats gone thru the roof like everyone claims they will...I don't know but highly doubt there is any noticeable difference

So looking at it from a pure game management angle, you are saying that it would increase the archery success rate too much?

We originally got archery seasons because they provide great opportunity to get out and enjoy the outdoors, while have limited impacts on big game populations.

As time has progressed with the advent of the compound bow, tree stands, range finders, etc etc etc. More people have joined in the game, and take more game than ever before. The success rates for archery seasons have increase a bunch sense the early days. Much of that does have a big influence on game numbers.

In the Big Hole Valley, archer's account for the majority of bulls killed there. There is talk of going limited entry there.

Archers are having increased success with all the easier to use equipment.

Are you so in love with easier that your willing to give up opportunity?

I'm not against them at least I don't think...what do the numbers show in the states that are legal to use? has the harvest stats gone thru the roof like everyone claims they will...I don't know but highly doubt there is any noticeable difference

I'll see what my harvest stats show in late May / early June when I hunt axis with it. I bought one for my daughter but last night she told me that her plans changed and she won't be able to go.

what do the numbers show in the states that are legal to use?

Archery permit sales up 20%
Scent elimination(a.k.a. water) spray sales up 34%
Realtree Road Trips carbon suit sales up 42%
Ozonics ozone generator sales up 77%
Douchebags in the woods up 100%
Wounded deer and turkeys up 287%

I'm trying to make the argument that crossbows do not give that much of an advantage in a normal bowhunting situation like

1. Treestand (do they see you draw?)
2. Blind Hunting (do they see you draw?)

So this may be a elk hunting issue cause of the small advantage given by a crossbow.
Spot and stalk speed goat ( I don't think a gun helps half the time :))

while I might agree with the first 3 for sure I think the first year or two might prove number 4 but I think that would dwindle off when they figure out you still have to bust your ass to get to elk...number 5 just don't think so

I'm trying to make the argument that crossbows do not give that much of an advantage in a normal bowhunting situation like

1. Treestand (do they see you draw?)

Have you ever hunted whitetail out of a treestand?

Last I checked, vertical bows don't have red dots and scopes on them.

I deal with crossbow hunters almost daily, 3 months a year. I guess 80-90% of them wouldn't be out during archery only seasons, if it weren't for crossbows becoming legal.

What about all the gun hunters then? There is a 5 week gun season in MT, with many winners running around the woods with a freshly purchased arm cannon. I don't ever see any biased about gun hunters posing with the latest kill, but put a crossbow across the back of a trophy picture you are branded as a cheater or not a real archer, etc.

Toadslayer I have been busted multiple times in a tree stand(Whitetails).

Never bow hunted in a blind.Have been busted in a blind trying to get kids setup for a rifle shot(whitetails)so I'm guessing that yeah you could get busted drawing.

Been busted spot and stalk (Mule Deer,Elk)

Been busted calling (Elk, Turkeys).

Man I SUCK.

I'll see what my harvest stats show in late May / early June when I hunt axis with it. I bought one for my daughter but last night she told me that her plans changed and she won't be able to go.

according to the site above they are not legal in Hawaii or are you disabled? just curious I don't know anything

Not a montanan, but why do you feel they should be allowed in archery seasons?

I guess I dont see anything wrong with it as long as it is a legal method of harvest in the state. I have shot a few crossbows at targets but I think I would still prefer a compound even if crossbows were leagal to hunt with in my state. Im sure alot of the die hard muzzleloader guys have the same complaint about repeating rifles.Is there an advantage to a crossbow? maybe,maybe not like stated before different strokes for different folks. Myself I think they would be heavy and acward to carry around and hard to shoot off hand. The trigger pull on the ones I shot were horrific wich is maybe why I didnt think they were as easy to shoot as everyone said.I belive for me to make a good shot with one past 50 or 60 yards I would have to have my stuff together.

according to the site above they are not legal in Hawaii or are you disabled? just curious I don't know anything

No, I'm not disabled...true, they are not legal. However, the private land hunt on Lanai allows them in the archery only areas...but not in the state controlled areas.

Last edited:
The Crossbow, is pre cocked, Hand held archery is not!
The Crossbow, is shoulder mounted, the hand held bow is not!
The Crossbow, is has less chance of failure from form failures. They are inherently more accurate. Making success rates higher. Which in turn will make game managers limit seasons.
Crossbows are fitted with sights that work similar to rifles. Many want scoped sights on their weapon.

At 70 yards a crossbow bolt drops a mere 20 inches, compared to 120 inches for a compound. The crossbow is a lot more efficient.

A person can be taught to accurately shoot a crossbow in very little time. A compound takes weeks of practice, and that continues for years.

If you don't care about opportunity, and success is top on your list then use the most efficient weapon legal.

In Montana, there are some crossbow seasons but not during the general archery. I don't think it need to be allowed. We just have too long a general season to worry about them.

Never shot a crossbow but my guess is that the difference would be glaring when trying to draw on a big bull elk at 5 yards.Like I said ''Just a guess''.

Looks like enough reasons to me. I just feel that they violate the spirit of archery - and don't really consider them part of archery - but could care less if people use them in rifle season, when they're legal. I can't understand why everyone wants/needs laws to be modified to fit their personal desires and agendas. Open all the roadless areas, too. There's no advantage by driving into an area that is closed to motor vehicles, right?

I started shooting archery a couple years ago for increased opportunity (still hunt with a rifle sometimes, btw) and don't want to see that limited further by guys using arrow guns. Of course, I may just be wearing my Big Sky Sunglasses:rolleyes: even though I've never even been closer than a state away.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back