Caribou Gear

Crossbows

So then I take it that the majority of the anti-crossbow bias comes from Bowhunters not wanting to share the woods with slobs that go buy one and head right out to the field? So what keeps someone from doing the same thing with compound bows? And what about gun hunters that do exactly the same thing?

Note: I could shoot a compound from a 4 wheeler.

So then I take it that the majority of the anti-crossbow bias comes from Bowhunters not wanting to share the woods with slobs that go buy one and head right out to the field? So what keeps someone from doing the same thing with compound bows? And what about gun hunters that do exactly the same thing?

False.

No one answered my question.

If your handicapped, and I mean really handicapped, then I suppose a crossbow in the archery season is OK.

Montana hunting regs provide for handicapped bowhunters through a Permit To Modify Archery Equipment, a program through which the MBA has previously assisted hunters in modifying archery equipment and bowhunting.

What is the main difference between a bow and a crossbow?

Typically the crossbow incorporates a support like a gunstock, a device to mechanically hold the cable at partial or full draw without using muscle power, fires a bolt rather than an arrow, employs relatively greater firing power, sometimes incorporates a scope, and generally is a weapon categorized as somewhere between a bow and a rifle.

This is more like it.

How it should be when you only see life through "Big Sky" sunglasses.

If only all states could be more like Montana we'd all have medical marijuana, sheep tags for seniors, and no crossbows or lighted knocks during archery season.

Those idiot lawmakers in Wyoming must be completely clueless from a Montana perspective.

Nope, 2012 regs exclude "Any bow which a portion of the bow's riser or any track, trough, channel, or other device that attaches directly to the bow's riser contacts, supports, and/or guides the arrow from a point rearward of the bow's brace height. This is not intended to restrict the use of standard overdraw systems."

'Just some more Big Sky goofiness ... depending on your perspective.

one is held in the cocked position by a trigger device the other has to be held with the strength of your muscles. SO?

The Crossbow, is pre cocked, Hand held archery is not!
The Crossbow, is shoulder mounted, the hand held bow is not!
The Crossbow, is has less chance of failure from form failures. They are inherently more accurate. Making success rates higher. Which in turn will make game managers limit seasons.
Crossbows are fitted with sights that work similar to rifles. Many want scoped sights on their weapon.

At 70 yards a crossbow bolt drops a mere 20 inches, compared to 120 inches for a compound. The crossbow is a lot more efficient.

A person can be taught to accurately shoot a crossbow in very little time. A compound takes weeks of practice, and that continues for years.

If you don't care about opportunity, and success is top on your list then use the most efficient weapon legal.

In Montana, there are some crossbow seasons but not during the general archery. I don't think it need to be allowed. We just have too long a general season to worry about them.

This is more like it.

How it should be when you only see life through "Big Sky" sunglasses.

If only all states could be more like Montana we'd all have medical marijuana, sheep tags for seniors, and no crossbows or lighted knocks during archery season.

Those idiot lawmakers in Wyoming must be completely clueless from a Montana perspective.

Yep saw it coming.

Never shot a crossbow but my guess is that the difference would be glaring when trying to draw on a big bull elk at 5 yards.Like I said ''Just a guess''.

So that is not a huge advantage?

Not necessarily, I have used a compound for all my hunting until I moved to WY from MT last year and with the new tech in bows, can hold back a compound for a LONG time. I still am not seeing enough justification to keep them illegal in an "archery only" season.

In Montana, there are some crossbow seasons but not during the general archery. I don't think it need to be allowed. We just have too long a general season to worry about them.

So looking at it from a pure game management angle, you are saying that it would increase the archery success rate too much?

Toadslayer,ever been busted trying to come to full draw?

Daily. Especially elk hunting

That is a great advantage with a crossbow, but I don't think enough of an advantage to not be able to use them. Do you think they cause THAT much of an advantage to threaten game populations by increasing success rates?

I've been busted a couple times AT full draw...Damn crossbows would lower success rates!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back