Crossbows During Archery- for a select few

We can start a new thread so as not to derail this thread but this is so far from the truth. You must not archery hunt.
Really depends on the person I think. Some people can hunt many years with a bow and not be very accurate and some people can pick one up and be shooting great in a very short timeframe. I've seen it myself go both ways.

Why would you shoot freehand? Take a rest. That’s one of the benefits of a crossbow.

I am not a western hunting veteran, but from my time in Montana, finding a suitable rest for a crossbow would have been dicey. Don't forget that there are limbs sticking out both sides.

Prone? Ok. Grass, weeds, bushes, all deflect the arrow.

I am not advocating for crossbows during archery season. If my right shoulder wasn't FUBAR I would have never bought one.

Some of those against it need to find a better argument than "it is just like shooting a rifle" because that is simply not the case. If they had any time hunting with one they wouldn't make that statement the vast majority of the time., unless of course they didn't mind being disingenuous...

The topic of this thread is a few people trying to abuse their power and the system. That is disgusting no matter the weapon.

A few random thoughts from someone who shoots both a compound and crossbow.

Hunting with a crossbow is fine if you are walking to a deer stand. I can't imagine lugging one in the west doing spot and stalk. They are a PITA to carry.

I was actually for universal crossbow use in my states archery season. I think only 50% of archery hunters in my state are proficient with a bow. We don't have a proficiency requirement here, however; states that do average a 60% pass rate. I figured most of these guys would trade the compound bow in for a crossbow and there would be less wounded game and more recovered game.

Total archery kills have not went up in my state however the the ratio of kills is right around 50% crossbow/ 50% bow.

Your not pulling the crossbow string back while an elk is coming in hot and pissed off to your buddy's bugle... it's set before the bugling begins.
Rest the body of the crossbow on a trigger stick gen3 crossbow monopod.
Once that elk comes within say, 60 yards, aim through a rifle based, Leapers UTG 4x32mm Crossbow Scope, pull trigger.

Buddy shoots one, I shot it a few times for chits n grins... that scope with the trigger pull while rested on the crossbow base is a cake walk to slap a pie paper plate over and over and over.

I got plenty to say but I’m not going to shit on this thread that shows how things are going with our elected politicians. Somebody start a new one and keep this one on point.

If crossbows are made legal you will see the numbers of people interested in "archery" rise precipitously. For a variety of reasons this isn't a good thing.

I shot fingers when I first started shooting a compound but when bows got under 45 inches finger pinch came into play.
Been shooting a Conquest 4 for about 15 years now. 41" still accurate, but not very forgiving. Shoot two under helps with pinch

Asking for an archery-privileged season at all is where from this comes. The problem starts with allowing government to have any say in your choice of weapon.

Archers invited this by asking for a privileged season. Now you get to quibble over who and which.

The only option I found is to register as a zoom participant to speak @ the Commission meeting on the 28th. Is there an option to submit a comment for those unable to zoom/in person share our thoughts?

Also, FYI for any interested - this option expires 1200 today.
You could e-mail the commission members individually.

Region 1: Patrick Tabor: [email protected]
Region 2: Jana Waller: [email protected]
Region 3: Patrick Byorth: [email protected]
Region 4: KC Walsh: [email protected]
Region 5: Brian Cebull: [email protected]
Region 6: Lesley Robinson: [email protected]
Region 7: Bill Lane: [email protected]

Maybe I'll email Jana and see if I can get some Christmas gifts from and trinkets. She's made over the years.

I'm clearly not the best one to send emails to commissioners.

Back