MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Crossbows During Archery- for a select few

But I can damn sure can @#)(# a crossbow, carry it all day, then shoot very accurately at 90 yards 6 hrs later. That's across my technology line.

I hear this all the time.

Not saying you can't actually do that because I don't know your shooting skills, but with that said, with a dead rest maybe you can shoot very accurately at 90 yards with a crossbow. Free handed, ain't happening but for maybe the top 1% of shooters.

I am 100% in favor of making crossbows legal for hunting. They just need to be legal during the gun season and NOT during bow season. Crossbows have far more in common with firearms than bows. The learning curve is about x100 times faster with a crossbow. 70 yard bow shots on big game? Maybe the top 5% of bow hunters can pull that off. Most have an effective range of 40 yards and in.

There is a huge problem with “primitive” season being corrupted by technology. It no longer exists in its original intent. Handheld rangefinders alone have revolutionized bow hunting. I am in favor of returning bow season to stick bows only.

States that have opened bow season to crossbows have come about overwhelmingly through a lobbying push of the crossbow manufacturing industry. This battle is fought every year in the IA legislature, and pushback comes from bow hunters and gun hunters who have a vested interest in maintaining the quality of hunting by not allowing deer to be hunted during the rut by crossguns. We have seen how IL and WI buck age class has dramatically declined since allowing crossbows during archery season, and most IA hunters do not want the same thing here. State legislators don’t have the same prerogative. They just seek the kickbacks from the industry reps.

One of the main talking points of the crossbow industry/legislative lobby is that there’s little difference between modern compounds and crossbows. @BuzzH, are you aware you are parroting an industry line?

View attachment 192844

The factor that is not mentioned in that chart is this: 450 grain 18 inch long projectile fired at 400 fps (maybe) vs. a 150 grain 1 inch long projectile fired at 2800 fps.

Physics.

The factor that is not mentioned in that chart is this: 450 grain 18 inch long projectile fired at 400 fps (maybe) vs. a 150 grain 1 inch long projectile fired at 2800 fps.

Physics.
p=mv...., can't escape it. Lighter shaft ultimately pays on the (m) part of the equation.

I guess I would be more accepting of all these stunt seasons(MZ, Bow, Xbow) if they had the same seasons as rifle season. Some guys like bow hunting, I get it. Fine, do it during the general season. Of course it's mostly never been about the weapon used for most guys, it's just a way to gain preferential seasons, units, etc.
Yeah we get it from all the past threads. You hate everything but gunning them long range. Lucky for you you can do it for 6 months. Get with it. Long gun

I hear this all the time.

Not saying you can't actually do that because I don't know your shooting skills, but with that said, with a dead rest maybe you can shoot very accurately at 90 yards with a crossbow. Free handed, ain't happening but for maybe the top 1% of shooters.
Why would you shoot freehand? Take a rest. That’s one of the benefits of a crossbow.

From my understanding, this is what's going on now:

Molnar and others sue FWP to let them use crossbows. FWP agrees to just let those individuals use crossbows. Judge throws out the case because there is no conflict. Molnar and friends go back to their regional FWP offices and ask for crossbow accomodation, only to have FWP deny them. Molnar and friends refile with Court and say, "there's a conflict now, have the hearing. And have it at the same time because we have one guy who traveled 500+ miles for original hearing, so it'd be unfair if he would have to come back again for a hearing at a later date"
So they sue again.

Yeah we could argue all day about crossbows, but that's not what the issue right now is.

Glad to hear. I apologize if I lumped MBA in on something they weren't involved with.
I believe it was Montana BHA that was behind the December agreement. Kevin Farrand (sp?) was on leave and MTBHA shit the bed on this while he was gone. That’s why they came out shortly after and reversed stance and opposed it.

Yeah we get it from all the past threads. You hate everything but gunning them long range. Lucky for you you can do it for 6 months. Get with it. Long gun
I'm not a big fan of long range hunting either, but nice try.

I’m a bit surprised at the way so many present shooting a modern compound bow as such a monumental difficult task. I would guess the average adult male could be proficient with a compound out 40 yards with just a couple hours practice. I also question how much experience some of you have had with crossbows, they are not “magic arrow rifles” and even the fastest 450 FPS cross bows are dropping like a rock past 80 yards. If they were that dang deadly there probably wouldn’t be any bull elk left in WY after September.

Regardless, we’re still focusing on the wrong part of the story - a real bs political flex move by a few who think they are entitled to different rules.
Exactly. It doesn't take much time to tune a modern compound bow, sight it in and shoot it well. Really no more difficult than doing the same with a rifle.
Of course most guys can't tune a rifle or a bow from what I've seen.

Exactly. It doesn't take much time to tune a modern compound bow, sight it in and shoot it well. Really no more difficult than doing the same with a rifle.
Of course most guys can't tune a rifle or a bow from what I've seen.
We can start a new thread so as not to derail this thread but this is so far from the truth. You must not archery hunt.

We can start a new thread so as not to derail this thread but this is so far from the truth. You must not archery hunt.
We need a new thread because this is a BS deal that has been pointed out and it got off the rails. Also I enjoy blasting the lazy rifle hunters so I need that enjoyment in a different thread.
Thank you MTelkhuntress for keeping us informed at our government at work. Keep this on track.
Somebody start a new thread of the ethics of bow hunters vs rifle hunters. I’m too busy about to shoot my bow.

Shoot off with a compound bow vs a crossbow. I can tell you who would win every time. Apparently you like to shoot your brown elk with a high powered rifle at extreme distances. C’mon. I wish I could forget the unethical shots I’ve witnessed by hunters taken at animals with a rifle on public land. Get out and about a little more.
Get out and about a little more? How many years have you been hunting elk Timmy?

Then you're not much of a hunter or woodsman. I have friends who have shot mature bulls in Montana with archery equipment in November, a few with recurves. They're archery hunters, not rifle hunters that extend their season with a bow.
I appreciate that. I guess since I'm not much of a hunter I'll just hang it up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back