Crossbows During Archery- for a select few

MTelkHuntress

I'm not sure what is going on but I received this emailed from MBA and I can't help but be upset that this is allowed after hunters fought so hard to defeat the crossbow bill. I'm hoping someone else has some information and can speak to the situation. Attached in the email were the legal documents as well.

Screenshot_20210829-151429_Gmail.jpg

Wow, to make an honest assessment I would need to do more research. However, this feels like total political weight being thrown around. It seems it should be all or none. In my opinion none until the suit is settled.

On that note Montana screwed up the draw for me this year. My brother drew a breaks tag as part of our party, and they made a “clerical error” that led to me not drawing. I discussed respectfully and it led to me being put into a “special draw for clerical errors.” I didn’t draw of course. I should sue I guess…

“Rules for thee, but not for Me” Seems to be the motto of the politician these days. Something about that doesn’t smell right. I know nothing of Montana politics and I have no dog in the fight up there but it sounds like he should be fought tooth and nail for principles sake. Sen. Molnars day job wouldn’t happen to be a lawyer would it?

So they want to use crossbows as part of a disability or just because they feel like it?

Idaho began allowing the use of scopes on muzzleloaders with a doctors note as a way to avoid a potential lawsuit from MT’s favorite muzzleloader shooter/van driver

While I absolutely agree we have more pressing problems, it's just interesting to see the lengths some will go, especially after getting over the initial shock of it all.

I'm amazed I missed reading this article before:

"Molnar wants the ability to use a crossbow because, as he demonstrated, he has a weak shoulder and can no longer hold a bow level. He said the bill sets out to “challenge the premise that Montana can deny our handicapped population the use of an implement that allows them to enjoy a degree of normalcy.”

Disclaimer: I do not own or hunt with a crossbow. So I’m guessing that most folks don’t want crossbows allowed during regular bow season? Why is that? Don’t like them, think their to easy to use, not ethical? Just curious guys.

Disclaimer: I do not own or hunt with a crossbow. So I’m guessing that most folks don’t want crossbows allowed during regular bow season? Why is that? Don’t like them, think their to easy to use, not ethical? Just curious guys.
It's basically shooting a gun. All for it for disabled folks but it's not "archery".

Couple things.

First off, I don't like the idea of anyone suing the MTFWP over this particular issue. That isn't a defense of the MTFWP, as they couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper sack. It's just the lack of working through the correct channels to get something like a crossbow season. Should have to go through the public process, commission, etc.

That said, I also see very little difference between a crossbow that can shoot 60-80 yards and a compound that can do the same. I mean, anyone shooting a compound these days actually NOT use a trigger release? Anyone shooting less than 75% let-off? Anyone shooting anything but carbon arrows? Cams? Sights?

I say the "archery" hunters have caused this problem when the only difference in modern compounds and crossbows is one is held vertically with 10-25% of the draw weight, the other 100% let-off and held horizontally.

The line between the two is so thin, I don't believe "archery" hunters are going to be able to hold off legalizing crossbows across the country.

There's a price to pay for advancements in technology and the compound guys never gave a chit when they ruined the intent of the early guys shooting traditional equipment. They pretty much told the traditional guys to suck it up and deal with it, us compound guys built a better mouse trap. If you don't like it, buy a compound is what I heard.

Now that their ox is being gored, they want to "limit" crossbows.

Hypocrites...

It's basically shooting a gun. All for it for disabled folks but it's not "archery".
This is "archery" though?

Two sticks and a string...yeah, sure.

340451-1200-auto.jpg

Big difference between holding 10-35% and holding 0%, and having to draw and aim in the moment instead of point and pull. Crossbows are guns with slower projectiles. If they weren't easier, why would these guys be pushing for it, unless they're being paid off by Barnett?

Big difference between holding 10-35% and holding 0%, and having to draw and aim in the moment instead of point and pull. Crossbows are guns with slower projectiles. If they weren't easier, why would these guys be pushing for it, unless they're being paid off by Barnett?
If compounds weren't easier, why don't they give them up and go back to traditional?

We can play this game all day long...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back