Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Crazy Mtns Packer

Arrowslinger

Anyone know of a couple outfits I could contact to lineup horses to help me in case I need it in the Crazy Mountains? Will be coming in on the Wilsall side and am hunting solo so want to be sure I am covered just in case. Thanks for any info.

Lotsa hunters around that area. Have a few extra 30 packs of beer in your truck and go make friends when the time comes.

I will be calling a couple I know from the outfitters list. Thanks for the link. I like the beer idea but seems like a lot to ask of strangers to give up there hunting time.

If you do run into somebody willing to help you out treat them WELL. Dad and I drew out on elk out of Fairfield (ID) 25 or 26 years ago and had a big horse and a molly mule. Coming out to camp about last light we heard a shot not too far away from the trail so went to investigate. Young guy from Burley had knocked down a 4 point and was up to his armpits in gut when we got there. All they had were pack boxes and their purdy horses were going nuts. Dad and I doubled up and left them a horse and our packer with a sawbuck and bags, rode back to their camp, told them where the other two were and to take lanterns because it was going to be a long night. We cut meat poles and hung them up, put on some stew and waited. About 12:30 we could hear them hooping and yelling up the trail.. Helped them hang and skin. Before they left later that morning they brought dad over two grouse for being so nice.....Dad kind of chuckled about that episode until he passed away two years ago.

Wish I could afford to go back this year.I'd give you a hand.But, I drew Wy. so I won't be back till next year.Lot of guys show up after Sept 20 there if your archery hunting.They are mostly within a mile of the parking areas though.Going to miss hunting there for this season;good luck

You can rent outfitts from bigskymontanahorseleasing.com guys name is John and he supplys great stock i rent from hin every year and a fine fellow also.

I had never thought of renting a horse. Would seem to add a lot to a hunt? Both great am possibly a bit of bad? Thanks for the idea.

I am hunting that unit this year also and have done quite a bit of research. There are two outfitters permitted to operate in that unit and neither one does anything besides a full guided trip. No packing of meat or drop camps according to them or I would have done it.

I am hunting that unit this year also and have done quite a bit of research. There are two outfitters permitted to operate in that unit and neither one does anything besides a full guided trip. No packing of meat or drop camps according to them or I would have done it.

You can still hire non-outfitters to pack meat out.

You can still hire non-outfitters to pack meat out.

Just dont get caught paying them if they dont have a permit...tried to get a guy in clyde park to do it but he had already gotten in trouble for helping pack an elk out of the head of shields for money a while back. He didnt even know it was illegal but still got busted.

Just dont get caught paying them if they dont have a permit...tried to get a guy in clyde park to do it but he had already gotten in trouble for helping pack an elk out of the head of shields for money a while back. He didnt even know it was illegal but still got busted.

I'd double check or ask fwp. I've always been under the impression it's legal.

I'd say maybe there was a little more to that story...

I've been lucky enough to be able to use horses on a few of my hunts...thanks to friends and paying others to pack out animals. Never had a problem with wardens.

As far as having to have an outfitters license just to pack out someones game sounds like BS to me. Look at the Gardiner hunts of days past; all you had to do was pay any of the guys around with horses $100 and they'd drag your elk to your truck or camp. Hell, I think some would've done it for a case of beer. There were always a lot of wardens around and no one ever got into trouble.

Also, I checked out that horse rental site and HOLY, it is not cheap!

Just got off the phone with a lady at the gallatin national forest office and it is illegal. She said that you can't get in trouble but the person doing the packing can get cited for providing paid services on national forest......go ahead and do what you want but that is the law.

I'd think there would be a difference on Federal lands vs. other ownerships. On Federal lands (or at least on BLM lands, but would suspect it applies to other agencies) that do something for profit on those lands requires a Special Use Permit. IME, these are easily granted and the fee isn't too great, but it does have to be in place prior to doing so. However, I'm not sure if the state LEOs have any jurisdiction over that or if the state's have any limits on activity like that.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back