PEAX Equipment

Crack and a deal with the devil.

I’d have probably pressed charges due to anger but thinking this over and picturing a youngish female in such circumstances tells me she already has a life much shittier than anything I’ve got to deal with and piling on wouldn’t fix it or prevent the next one. So good for you to just move on, it wasn’t personal. And lock up from now on! The “real world” has unfortunately intruded everywhere, no escaping it.

I’d have probably pressed charges due to anger but thinking this over and picturing a youngish female in such circumstances tells me she already has a life much shittier than anything I’ve got to deal with and piling on wouldn’t fix it or prevent the next one. So good for you to just move on, it wasn’t personal. And lock up from now on! The “real world” has unfortunately intruded everywhere, no escaping it.
Problem is the next time when she is high, driving, and kills somebody. Jail is not a great solution to prevention but at least it’s a chance for the perp to get clean. Not doing anything doesn’t solve anything for anyone.

The flip side is being so paranoid about locking EVERYTHING that you also become paranoid about locking yourself out.
Keeping track of keys sucks.

Code-lock doors on all vehicles. This is a necessity since I'm a surfer. Spare key placed "where nobody will ever find it" in other places. Works a peach.

I have the keypad on my F150. Lock the truck with the keys in it and unlock with key pad. Problem solved. No keys to deal with and the truck is locked. Would never own a vehicle without that keypad!
I had a vehicle w/ one of the early veresions of a keypad. It sat in the sun for a a hot afternoon and softened up the rubber backing on the pad so none of the numbers would work.

I can appreciate the decision not to press charges. I wouldn't have either. Glad you got the truck back, and quickly too.
So instead of sitting in jail or a treatment facility today she's out stealing someone else's truck.
Highly doubtful she's going to seek addiction help on her own.

Compassion is commendable but some people need more direct interventions to be able to turn their life around.

I think it was a mistake for not pursuing charges. What about the next persons vehicle she steals, or what if in her "high state of mind" she drove into another vehicle or a person on her way to the trailer park and someone was killed.

Leaving your home unlocked, or your vehicle is just asking for something bad to happen. Leaving the keys in it is even worse. No, locks won't keep someone out if they want in bad enough, but it will stop about 95 percent of them. It's sad to have to do it, but you just have to get into that mind-set. Even if you live in a rural area or out in the country you truly should lock things up.

So lesson here don't leave your truck unlocked with keys in it. Where I come from this is not something you would ever think about happening, but I've learned my lesson. Though this could of been much worse.

Hope you all had a better day.
The days of leaving your vehicle unlocked are long gone, much less with the keys inside. Even small towns are no longer immune.:(

Last edited:
I remember the first time I took my wife down to the farm in mid Ohio for an early season bowhunt. Keys in the ignition, all the doors unlocked, and the owners of the farm were out of town... haha.

My folks went to Canada for a fishing trip when I was a young teen. They made the mistake of leaving the keys to our Willys Jeep in the ignition. We lived at the bottom of a canyon, surrounded by 10,000 acres and no neighbors. By the time they got back the Jeep was deep under water in a pond at the top of the mountain. It's never safe to leave keys in your car.

FYI, my folks were the caretakers at Roaring Camp on the Mokelumne River.
Roaring-Camp.jpg

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back