Yeti GOBOX Collection

Cpr training pays off

schmalts

Bizarre and stressful day at work. A 40 year old guy walking down the hall collapsed. 3 of us went into action. I grabbed a defibrillator on my way there and told another guy to check the situation before I got there. No pulse, just occasionally a short snore snort noise without getting any air. Chest compressions started while i install electrode patches. push the power button to turn on the defibulator and nothing! Again and again nothing, pound on it, nothing.... talk about stressful. Finally a second defibrillator shows up that worked and a shock was given. Minutes later EMT guys show up and take over. Found out later today he had a heart attack and they stinted him because of 90% blockage. No word on condition but he's alive. Moral of the story, take CPR class and become a responder where you work, it could save you or someone you know. This guy lives alone, it's good he made it to work before he went down. I've been trained for years but never had to go this far before, I'm glad there was something I could do besides wait for the pros to show up because I would have felt helpless instead of frazzled. I wouldn't want to do this for a job and respect those who do.
Share your experiences.

Good reminder for me to do that someday... probably changed in the last 25 years.

The first time sitting through the ACLS (advanced cardiac life support) class, the cardiologist spoke on the subject of doing something versus doing nothing. He reminded me that someone who is pulseless and not breathing is dead. Doing nothing means they will stay dead. Doing something (calling 911 and then compressions, breath substitutes and medical/electrical interventions) is the only chance this dead person has to be made alive again.

Good on you Schmaltz and your fellow rescuers for stepping up and intervening to try to give that dead guy a chance to come back alive......and amazing recognition and preparation to have two automatic defibrillators available for use. Well done to all involved indeed.

Good job!
I actually just completed CPR and AED certification in Nov. for that very reason. We've got an aging workforce in my office, Lord I hope I don't have to use my training, but I want to be able to help if it happens. I also thought I'd be good to have under my belt for use in the mountains if it came to it.

Heck of a Christmas Bonus you and the others gave that fellow. Well done.

Training has saved my butt,and too many others to remember.
Was 1st certified in 73' and got corpsman training in the field, as it were.I received EMT-II cert. in 96' w/Lake Patrol & SAR thrown in 98'.
Too many crew members I will never forget.
Too many victims & patients after to remember. Hundreds as a Park Ranger & no one died on my watch in 16yrs.
Training saved my own butt again last year.

I sometimes wake @ 3am with faces that disappear as soon as I do.... good time to wake up fully,check gear, scout or just go hunting.

Training has saved my butt,and too many others to remember.
Was 1st certified in 73' and got corpsman training in the field, as it were.I received EMT-II cert. in 96' w/Lake Patrol & SAR thrown in 98'.
Too many crew members I will never forget.
Too many victims & patients after to remember. Hundreds as a Park Ranger & no one died on my watch in 16yrs.
Training saved my own butt again last year.

I sometimes wake @ 3am with faces that disappear as soon as I do.... good time to wake up fully,check gear, scout or just go hunting.

Took my EMT class in '98, have the same dreams. Way too many faces in 18 years.

Good job schmalts. Those calls are always stressful, especially the first couple times you get to use your training. Not sure if you ever inspect your gear but where I work we inspect our AEDs and jump kits monthly. Not only do you make sure your gear is in good working order but you get more familiar with it.

Crazy that the defibrillator was dead. No doubt that was intense. Good job saving someone's life, and a good reminder that it is important to have the knowledge to be able to do so.

Wow. We all take ourselves, friends, family, and just ordinary people for granted. Way to spring into action, so quickly! Every second counts in an emergency situation like such as this, and you don't want or need folks to panic. Nice job!

Great job and way to maintain your composure. Time is of the essence in saving cardiac tissue and this man's life. You and your coworkers are heroes!

Good job schmalts. Those calls are always stressful, especially the first couple times you get to use your training. Not sure if you ever inspect your gear but where I work we inspect our AEDs and jump kits monthly. Not only do you make sure your gear is in good working order but you get more familiar with it.

This, and knowing exactly where they are in your building.

I'm not a worse case scenario type, but I pay attention to where AED's are located whenever I walk into a public building, airport, etc. etc.

Nice work Schmalts...

Its amazing how many opportunities will present themselves over the years with a need for CPR or life saving First Aid.

Great work. I have had the training and retrain every 2 years. Never was called to duty.

Schmalts, thanks for being prepared and willing!

Nice work Schmalts!

A couple years ago I was out just driving some gravel roads and came up on an accident. 2 trucks had a head-on collision right on top of a hill. The driver of one truck was unconscious with no pulse and basically pinned in the vehicle. He didn't make it. The guy in the other truck was on the phone with 911 and was pretty messed up. I had never taken any course of any sort and felt awfully damn helpless. The man who was killed was an oil field worker that wasn't wearing a seatbelt and had a 3 ring binder in his lap. We figured he was probably distracted looking at some stuff in that binder while he was driving. Life can literally change in the blink of an eye. Sad stuff.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back