Corner Crossing

Easy there. A guy got ticketed. OK. Did he actually step over a surveyed marker without touching private? We've all heard these stories of guys getting ticketed for "corner crossing" and it seems like it always turns out they didn't actually truly corner cross. The specifics matter immensely.
This. I’m sure Eric is correct about the guy being ticketed and having his buck confiscated. If he didn’t take it to court and just paid the ticket that doesn’t establish whether there’s a law against corner crossing or not.

Easy there. A guy got ticketed. OK. Did he actually step over a surveyed marker without touching private? We've all heard these stories of guys getting ticketed for "corner crossing" and it seems like it always turns out they didn't actually truly corner cross. The specifics matter immensely.
I wasn’t there, but knowing where he was I’d say most likely at a corner

Forgive me for posting this, if it's already been done... but what a great video by OnX, Jason Matzinger... Oh and Mr @Big Fin makes a very well-spoken appearance as well!

1.3 on the Richter scale, but its a start. Make voters aware of candidates' stance on this. Hint: they get the biggest checks from landowners opposed to corner crossing.

My question is not directly related to corner crossing, but pertains to a lot of corner bordered land, as well as land not bordered on corners.

A lot, not all, but a lot of public land has some sort of easement or legal access by the legal authority controlling it. Ie. Forest service, BLM, State land board etc. Why exactly can a BLM employee use a private road to cross private land to access BLM land, but a legal BLM user is not? Why does that easement not automatically grant access to anyone who is allowed to access BLM land? If it were possible(and it may not be) to extend that right to legal BLM, forest service, state trust land users then a HUGE percentage of land locked land would become open automatically and corner crossing(which to me is obviously legal, but to some lawyers and judges seems rather murky) would almost become a moot point. You wouldn’t need to jump a corner, because you could just use the same road/2-track that BLM employees use to access the same piece of land. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe the BLM cannot access BLM land that is land locked by private.

I don’t know what the law would say, but logic says that you should not be able to purchase the property around me in order to deny me access to my own property. If the owner is the “public”, tough luck, they get to access their property via some reasonable means. That’s just me being logical. I’m not saying that would measure up to any sort of law in the US. I’m just saying that’s how it should be.

Last edited:

Shelley Vance, the lone openly opposed response:
WHY ARE YOU RUNNING?
I love my state and my country, and its future is important to me. The direction our government is going in at this time is troubling to many of us. I want to be your voice to help protect the freedoms outlined in our constitution, preserve the integrity of our elections, and help maintain and sustain Montana as the greatest state in our nation.
WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS IF ELECTED?
My goals include reigning in the growth of state government, reduce state government spending, and increase state and local government accountability.

Original thoughts. Not pandering at all. Can't put her in a stereotype box. 🇺🇸

There is no way the current makeup of the MT legislature and Governor's office make corner crossing legal. Most likely it will be made illegal.

Shelley Vance, the lone openly opposed response:
WHY ARE YOU RUNNING?

WHAT ARE YOUR GOALS IF ELECTED?

Original thoughts. Not pandering at all. Can't put her in a stereotype box. 🇺🇸
1667501063255.png

1667500792443.png

1667501288447.png

1667501376696.png

1667501470969.png

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads