Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

core - lokt for elk

I don't want to even say how old I was and after reading hunting forums like this one before I realized that maybe core-lokts maybe weren't the BEST thing going. They are/were just what everybody shot, the green and yellow box of boolits sitting on the dash of every truck in Eureka! They have killed piles of elk over the years, but there are certainly better options.

Yeah, growing up that's what ammo was. I wasn't even aware there was options.

I had some weird stuff happen with them that hasn't happened again since I switched to bonded bullets. They'll definitely work, but there's no reason to limit yourself when there's such better options on the market.

If that is what your rifle likes, then go for it ! I wouldn't switch to a different 'better' bullet if it sacrafices a good accurate/volocity combo. I tried for years to come up with a load that gave me good volocity and accuracy for my 308 carbine. I got one or the other, no matter what I tried. Picked up some Win 180 PP's for a quick, unscheduled hunt (no home-mades ready) and Eureka ! Nice accuracy and beat any volocity I could come up with. AND I couldn't tell any difference in the deadness of any of the critters that got in between my rifle and out yonder.

I can't say much about a 308. I shoot a 7mag......150 grain core-lokt. It does a fantastic job!! Personally I don't shoot front shoulder. I shoot 4-6 inchesbehind front shoulder. It has NEVER failed me.
I also shoot a 7mm mag.
I use nothing but core-loct bullets. I've shot deer, elk and antelope and have never had a falure in over 35 years of hunting. Also never lost an animal.
If you are shooting factory loads you can't beat the price. Personally I won't pay $50-$60
a box for those premium loads.

Ive done well with core-lokt's they are relatively the cheapest,have never misfired if fresh {10 years or younger},and are very impressive in a bullet comparison that was in eastmans a year or 2 back.grouping at 800 yrds is another story, but thats a whole new ball game,, including equipment as well as bullets.got a bear at 564 yrds and it was a rem cor-lokt,no problem.

I also read the eastmans bullet comparison and core loks rated very well and I think best in weight retention if I recall.I had great luck with them in the past on a variety of animals then switched to noslers.I will say I won't buy noslers anymore as I've only had issues with them and think core loks are better.I shoot a different tip now and am very happy with the dropping power.But to answer your question, you'll be fine with core loks if you hit the elk properly

I use nothing but core-loks in my 7mm mag and 30-06, so far haven't lost an animal. This fall the elk and two deer died either on impact or about 5 seconds from neck shots from the 150 gr core-lok in the 7mm. I'm cheap and haven't found any reason to switch. Each rifle is different so your rifle may shoot something else better, but the Ruger M77 and Remington 700 cdl shoot nice groups with core-loks.

Core-lokt's work but the design behind bonded bullets(Nosler Accubond and Hornady Interbond) or premium bullets like Nosler Partitions are better. Get a larger sample of feedback, which you can find on a lot of other sites including Cabelas, you will find this to be true. I would take more chances on deer sized game than on Elk sized when deciding to go with premium bullets or not.

Core-Lokts work and work well. I didn't know they weren't supposed to until I got the errornet. As I moved into handloading and some high velocity cartridges, I moved away from Core-Lokts. If I had to buy off the shelf ammo, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. mtmuley

In 2011 I shot a cow elk in New Mexico with a 30-06 180gr core-lok. The bullet hit the shoulder and blew up. I had to shoot her again when I found her still alive. First shot was at 150 yards second was at 20 yards. When I was quartering her up I found only fragments of the first bullet. It never went past the bone, penetration was about 4 to 5 inches. Second bullet was in between 2 ribs on the opposite side. It hit one rib but did not exit. I was surprised to see it was intact and mushroomed nicely. I will not use core-lok for anything larger than deer again. My new elk and moose load is 30-06 hand loaded with 180 grain partitions or my 338 ultra mag with 225 accubonds. The 338 was purchased for a longer range rifle which is why I've stuck with the accubond instead of the partitions for the higher bc. I would recommend trying nosler accubond lr also tough bullet with great bc.

Last edited:
I have shot lots of Deer and elk with Core Lokts, This year my elk was 477 yards with a 150gr 30-06.
My bro in AZ shot this bull with the same bullet. Broadside behind the shoulder the bullet went all the way through and lodged under the skin on the far side. Range was about 250.

Attachments

• DSCN0904.jpg
    DSCN0904.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 225
I have shot all of my elk with 150 core lokts out of my 7mm. Ranges differ from 50-300 yards and have never had a problem with them. I intend to keep using them on future hunts for deer and elk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back