Yeti GOBOX Collection

core - lokt for elk

dmarsh38

Hi looking for imput on Remington core lokt in 308 180 grain as a suitable elk bullet ?

There's is an identical post like yours of recent. Use the search feature. It was an active post w lotsa comments.

Personally I would go with something like a Hornady Interbond for elk, but there are many other bonded bullets out there that will get the job done if you do your art in putting it in the vitals.

Top-Gun. Nice to hear the shout out for the Hornady Interbonds. They sure dont get alot of attention. I was think of using the 165 gr 30-06 Interbonds next yr on my elk hunt. A buddy loaded some for my mule deer & antelope hunt this yr, but I ended up shooting up a few misc shells on the hunt. I dont have any experience w Interbonds, more input ?

My dad has killed a big pile of elk with Core-lokts over the years in 30-06. But he has also lost a couple shot through the shoulder. I use a 308 and moved to premium bullets. I have had very good results on elk with 308 using Nosler Partitions and Barnes copper bullets. Personally, I think premium bullets are good investments on elk. I feel more confident shooting a sturdier bullet on elk. I have a ton of respect for how tough the are. Nothing is worse than tracking a bull with a busted shoulder, but little damage beyond it.

I can't say much about a 308. I shoot a 7mag......150 grain core-lokt. It does a fantastic job!! Personally I don't shoot front shoulder. I shoot 4-6 inches behind front shoulder. It has NEVER failed me.

I wouldn't use a core lokt, unless it was the only choice I had. Lots of better bullets for elk. Partitions, Accubonds, Barnes. Hornady Interbonds are good but I thought they weren't being made anymore.

Theree is several better choices out there ,but my brother loves them and has taken a few elk with his 280 Remington and 150 core lokt. Cannot say they are a bad bullet,but there are better offerings.The Bonded bullets or the old standby Nosler Partition.

Hi looking for imput on Remington core lokt in 308 180 grain as a suitable elk bullet ?

Elk certainly aren't bullet proof and do not have the will to live like some asian deer species that are wired tight.

Core loots would be fine, use 180s and double lung the animal with your first and you will be fine. Animals can live with broken bones which i believe are poor shot choices and a last resort if only you need to take, but i have never seen an animal live with a bullet through the lungs...best margin for slight error as well.

I think old school Core Lokt's have probably killed more animals in north America over it's history than any other bullet. I have killed many animals with them before I switched to Federals since my rifles like them better. Hit them in the lungs and they will die. I don't take high shoulder shots, so I never worried about it.

Top-Gun. Nice to hear the shout out for the Hornady Interbonds. They sure dont get alot of attention. I was think of using the 165 gr 30-06 Interbonds next yr on my elk hunt. A buddy loaded some for my mule deer & antelope hunt this yr, but I ended up shooting up a few misc shells on the hunt. I dont have any experience w Interbonds, more input ?

The Interbonds they make are really designed for the bigger animals like elk and moose and won't expand on the smaller animals nearly as well. I reload their 58 grain VMax in my .243 Sako for small stuff like coyotes and pdogs and go up to their 100 grain BTSP for antelope. I also reload their 117 grain BTSPs for my Ruger 25-06 heavy barrel for antelope on real windy days, as well as their 150 grain BTSPs for my 30-06s for deer, but go up to their Interbond like I mentioned for elk. They are all very well designed bullets and I won't change anything since they have all done exactly what they are supposed to for me. If you use the Interbonds on your elk hunt and put it where you should I think you'll come away more than happy with their performance.

Last edited:
Most of my rifle elk kills have been with core lokts. Most were 165 grains but a couple were 130. Deadliest mushroom in the woods :)

I wouldn't use a core lokt, unless it was the only choice I had. Lots of better bullets for elk. Partitions, Accubonds, Barnes. Hornady Interbonds are good but I thought they weren't being made anymore.

According to the Hornady website both the Interbond bullets and ammo are temporarily suspended to catch up with their faster selling products. How long that will take is a guessing game since they gave no dates and I don't know when they did that. There may be some out in the stores, but I see Cabelas isn't even listing it.

The Interbonds they make are really designed for the bigger animals like elk and moose and won't expand on the smaller animals nearly as well.
I'd have a hard time believing that. I've yet to hear of many instances of a plastic tipped having a problem of not opening...

There is nothing wrong with a core lokt, especially in 180 grain. I would personally take a Partition, due to its ability to work at all velocities. If the core lokt works well in your rifle, then go for it. Bullets like the core lokt work well in a .308 due to the moderate velocity. All-copper bullets can be problematic for the same reason.

I don't want to even say how old I was and after reading hunting forums like this one before I realized that maybe core-lokts maybe weren't the BEST thing going. They are/were just what everybody shot, the green and yellow box of boolits sitting on the dash of every truck in Eureka! They have killed piles of elk over the years, but there are certainly better options.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back