Caribou Gear Tarp

Cooler choice

Thanks for good feedback fellas. What does everyone prefer for a quart size?

My current hunting cooler situation is an aluminum one I made. It is so big I can hardly move it empty by myself. Good thing is it fits an entire boned out moose with ease :)

I'd look at the Rtic coolers. Look just like a Yeti and are half the price. I'd also look at the new Ozark Trail rotomolded coolers at Wall Mart. They look pretty nice for the price point. They are selling all of the new products in yeti style knockoffs

From what I've read on hunting FB groups Rtic coolers are selling the coolers and taking people's money and THEN telling the people the coolers are back ordered for up to 6 months AFTER they have received payment

From what I've read on hunting FB groups Rtic coolers are selling the coolers and taking people's money and THEN telling the people the coolers are back ordered for up to 6 months AFTER they have received payment

Hmm interesting, thanks for the heads up.

They also changed their warranty from 7 years to 90 days. FWIW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take a look at K2 coolers Nice coolers, and they have a "scratch & dent" category, with a significant discount. Mine, you couldn't tell if there was anything wrong with it.
90 qt is $293

Another vote for a high end cooler. I spend a week at Lake McConaughy in NE every July. Temps are generally in the high 90's or more every day and with my cheap coolers (including Coleman Extreme) I have to buy ice every day. I bought a Yeti last year and even with my two kids constantly opening it up the ice kept for the entire trip. I bought ice one time to fill space created when I took food out, but had very little melting. I'm sure any of the high end coolers are about the same, but a $40 cooler can not even compare.

^^^True.
I took a chance and ordered two RTIC coolers back in Oct. after I ordered they told me the eta was Jan. 20th, but you could cancel your order at anytime. So I waited, on Jan 20th with no cooler delivered, I sent an email, got a response right away with a new eta of March. I started getting the feeling this wasn't going to turn out good, so I canceled my order and they refunded me very quickly.
I have a buddy who ordered 2 coolers at the same time as me, he's still gambling in hopes he'll see a cooler delivered at some point.

I have a Yeti and an Engle... I really like the Engle, but the latches are a very poor design and are weak. I have already lost a couple of them due to the pins slipping out. If they would go to more of a Yeti style latch, they would be hard to beat.

I love the Yeti, it is just a little heavy.

I'd look at the Rtic coolers. Look just like a Yeti and are half the price. I'd also look at the new Ozark Trail rotomolded coolers at Wall Mart. They look pretty nice for the price point. They are selling all of the new products in yeti style knockoffs

Where are you finding these? I looked on the walmart website and even went to amazon to look up Ozark trail stuff and can't find them. Even on Google there's only talk on forums about them.

For what a high end cooler cost,I bought a 5 .5 cubic foot chest freezer and a small Coleman generator.Do not have to worry about ice that way.

I have been using coleman extremes. Let one sit out in the sun with ice in it this past summer to see how long it would last. It was 80 almost every day and about 62 for a low at night. Took 6 days to melt almost all the it. Put in a 20 lb bag. It was a 70 QT cooler. I like the smaller ones because I can handle them. I can fit 2 of them across the front of my truck bed and stack 2 more on top. Lots cheaper than a high end. But I realize putting warm meat in them the ice will not last as long. Mule deer hunt last fall with temps in the 50 I don't think I lost hardly any ice at all in 6 days. Works for me.

They also changed their warranty from 7 years to 90 days. FWIW.

This is not true. Look at their website. Their rotomolded coolers still have a 7 year warranty. Their other products are 90 days.

https://www.rticcoolers.com/warranty

Where are you finding these? I looked on the walmart website and even went to amazon to look up Ozark trail stuff and can't find them. Even on Google there's only talk on forums about them.

They are in stores and if you search on Wal Mart's site they say out of stock online.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-73-Quart-High-Performance-Cooler-Grey/49229408#about

I hunt in 90+ temps during archery antelope season and never had an issue with Coleman Extremes not holding and maintaining ice. Before I leave for any hunt I freeze a bunch of gallon milk jugs full of water and put them in the coolers. On the HT bear hunts in May when I'm gone for well over a week, the jugs are still partially frozen when I return home. That cuts down nicely on the amount of ice I need on the trip. I use the same idea on my fall trips and get the same results. I've had no issues with the coolers coming apart either. I replaced one hinge that was my own fault for breaking, and not the cooler's issue. So, I will continue to buy and use Coleman Extreme coolers and not lose a wink of sleep over not spending $400 on a 'big' name brand one.

This ^^^

I take 3 Coleman Extreme 150's on my hunts. One in the kitchen, one as the "freezer" and an empty when I'm elk hunting and traveling a long distance because it takes two to carry a boned out elk and ice. I freeze gallon jugs and add 80lbs of cubes to the "freezer". I leave the freezer closed except to take frozen items out to put in the kitchen cooler. The jugs in the freezer become the jugs for the kitchen cooler during the second week. I doubt anyone hunts anyplace warmer than the early season here in AZ. I also put the coolers in the bed of my truck as the first layer of gear and stack my camp gear on top. It can get pretty full. The oldest one still in service is 16 years old.

Attachments

• Loaded truck.jpg
    Loaded truck.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 140
I used the Ozark 52 back in March after storms knocked out our power, and here is a picture after 6 days of daytime temps in the low 80s - the ice was not yet melted (you can see some melt in the bags yet everything was still ice cold). Huge caveat re the performance - we did not open it more than once a day during that time. Very impressed given its on sale for under 150 at Walmart. I’d trust this to keep meat cold on a multi-day trip but wouldn’t open it after the meat goes in. If it’s true about Orion coolers going under during the pandemic, it makes some sense given the Significantly different price points and somewhat comparable performance. Word to the wise though, ozark doesn’t have any of the cool, thoughtful details that go into more expensive coolers (Bottle openers, cutting board, etc). Thanks for the thread!

Attachments

• CB3A8586-C2D7-401A-BFA8-30EB22B70C80.jpeg
    CB3A8586-C2D7-401A-BFA8-30EB22B70C80.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
I have an RTIC 65 that I have had +- 5 years now. Got it for Christmas and mama got it on sale, including shipping to the door for $150. I have been very happy with it and it has performed well. That being said, a couple of years ago CPO got a pair of Kong 70s and I am thoroughly impressed. Performance and construction are outstanding, they are American made by an Indiana corporation and the latches are a good design....plus they come with a couple of accessories that cost extra on most other coolers. Big plus is that they also have a very nice Veteran discount. They will be my next purchase.....take a look at this....they also have comparo with a bunch of the $$$ coolers side by side

When I was accumulating gear last year I thought I needed a high end cooler. Several HT members suggested Coleman Xtreme 150. $50, holds ice for a week, drain plug. Coleman has made numerous improvements over their previous models. I added $6 hinges. No plans to upgrade. A high end cooler is handy if you’re flying.
EE3761A2-6739-4B83-A932-964E5A45C7BA.jpeg

Back